Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 12:11:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Vacuum shrinking foam

Started by Rich, December 24, 2013, 04:17:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

I watched an episode of "How it's made-dream cars" last night and they were showing the building of a Rolls Royce Phantom. The most interesting part for me, of course was the interior and at one point, they were installing the headrest covers with a vacuum machine to shrink the foam. The foam was placed inside a bag made of a green material which was fastened to a vacuum port at the bottom. The worker held the open top closed and turned on the machine which compressed the headrest foam so the cover could be slipped on. The part I'd like to know more about is that after the cover was in place, he pulled the assembly off leaving this bag still attached to the machine. So, it must be a strong enough fabric to be re-used and not tear when being pulled out from inside of the headrest assembly.
Does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks,
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

SteveA

Darn - now you ask - I just sold my Phantom -

SA

scott_san_diego

I saw that same episode a couple of weeks ago.  Found it to be very interesting.

Darren Henry

For the amount of that I do; I just use a cheap garbage bag and rip it out when I'm done.The cheaper the better---they rip easier  ;)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

west coast

I don`t use that method very often but when I do I use dry cleaner bags because they don`t make any noise so you can leave it where it is and not tear it out. Drycleaner bags and good shop vac presto shrunken foam

MinUph

It is the coolest way to fill some pillows. I did a big round cylinder pillow was around 18 in diameter and 4' long. It would have been near impossible to fill but when sucked down it was a piece of cake. Had the time to precisely place it while it recovered.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

At work the other day the other upholsterer was watching me fill channels for a antique channel back chair. Although he has never built one he suggested the shrink wrap method. I was intrigued but wonder if it would need to be straightened or adjusted once the air was allowed back in.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

I've never tried a channel back. I don't know how much the cotton would suck down. If it were foam fill it would probably work.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website