Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 04:24:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pure cotton duck canvas ..for sewing

Started by morrisman, June 24, 2011, 03:43:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

morrisman

Hello All

I found this supplier not far from me and I am wondering if this is suitable for making a Land Rover top... he has many types of cotton canvas, I  could dye it to suit me needs .

http://www.artstoreonline.com.au/canvas-linen/cotton-canvas-rolls/cat_195.html

The original canvas used in the 1950's was 100% cotton .

Thanks....   MIKE
Consew 226 R-2 still learning

scottymc

Hi Mike, I don't think that artist canvas will wear very well, also that site you were looking at is heaps expensive. Ring radins up there site is hopeless but they are helpful, they sell 400 gram ,100% cotton canvas in olive, antelope and camouflage for around $20 a metre.    http://www.radins.com.au/index-2.html

morrisman

Quote from: scottymc on June 24, 2011, 05:15:41 am
Hi Mike, I don't think that artist canvas will wear very well, also that site you were looking at is heaps expensive. Ring radins up there site is hopeless but they are helpful, they sell 400 gram ,100% cotton canvas in olive, antelope and camouflage for around $20 a metre.    http://www.radins.com.au/index-2.html

Ok Thanks . I will give them a try ..I've heard of Radins . I usually go to PASKALS but they don't stock pure cotton duck canvas.

Mike

fragged8

artist canvas is duck in a raw state, you could dye it easily but
it will not be rot resistant.

Rich

scottymc

The stuff I was talking about above is called cannonball, they also have swag canvas 

morrisman

fragged8

Kayspruce in the Uk do duck canvas 16oz

see if you can find a supplier of military canvas
in oz, or Allan on the other forum is in oz he may be
able to help
snuggtopz.com

morrisman

Quote from: fragged8 on June 25, 2011, 03:15:08 am
Kayspruce in the Uk do duck canvas 16oz

see if you can find a supplier of military canvas
in oz, or Allan on the other forum is in oz he may be
able to help
snuggtopz.com

Ok Richard

The cotton stuff is really a thing of the past and very few bother with it these days I think.    It has a unique texture that the modern stuff doesn't have, but lacks the water proofing and rot resistance . But it must have worked to some degree, like the flax and hemp sails on those big sailing ships.

I wonder what Captain Cooks ship used ?

Mike

How's the new machine ????

fragged8

i've sailed on captain Cook's ship :-) well the replica anyway
I think the sails were canvas ..

duck canvas is naturally waterproof but has to be treated to be rot proof
hence the paraffin smell of army canvas. I use 16oz canvas to make duffle
bags for selling on flea bay. 

morrisman

Quote from: fragged8 on June 25, 2011, 09:54:25 am
. I use 16oz canvas to make duffle
bags for selling on flea bay. 

Is it cotton/poly canvas you use ? or 100% cotton

Mike

Grebo

fragged8

there ya go Tencate, well done Suzi

the stuff i use for bags is 100% cotton duck, my dad in law uses it
for paintings canvas in the raw mill state.

Rich

scottymc

This Tencate stuff, I was interested when I seen it for my boardcovers as I still have not found anything to please the greenies. It sounds just like the canvas our tent was made out of in the 60's, I'm glad we have moved on from those times of towels rolled up at the bottom of the walls soaking up the water dripping down the wall where one of us kids touch it cause we just could not help ourselves. If it is for pure authenticity for your Landy Mike sounds like this is your stuff, but wouldn't modern cotton canvas that has been treated be more functional, I doubt it would look any different.

morrisman

Quote from: scottymc on June 27, 2011, 04:06:48 pm
This Tencate stuff, I was interested when I seen it for my boardcovers as I still have not found anything to please the greenies. It sounds just like the canvas our tent was made out of in the 60's, I'm glad we have moved on from those times of towels rolled up at the bottom of the walls soaking up the water dripping down the wall where one of us kids touch it cause we just could not help ourselves. If it is for pure authenticity for your Landy Mike sounds like this is your stuff, but wouldn't modern cotton canvas that has been treated be more functional, I doubt it would look any different.

Yes , your right . I guess I am being overly fussy . But If I can find a local supplier of pure cotton , it would be nice to try it out and see how it goes .

Paskals sell a nice sandy coloured cotton/poly stuff that would be OK. $34 a metre plus GST . Their ripstop green is $39 a metre plus GST . Rather pricey PASKALS are, but thats their retail price , I don't have a business number to open an account. I will try the RADANS Dingley place first before PASKALS and see what they have.

1960's tents.. those heavy square things with wooden  poles everywhere and manilla rope holding it all up..... leaked like a seive in rain didn't they ???

BTW I had on loan a original 1950's Land Rover top , I measured it and took many pics .. the canvas they used is very heavy..must be 20 oz or heavier  . almost like cardboard , unobtainable today I would think

MIKE

scottymc

Radins wont deal with you if don't have an ABN , get one online , you can get one as a hobbyist. It is handy to have anyway, or just use a friends ABN .