Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 08:32:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Impression branded into convertible top window.

Started by marko69, August 06, 2010, 05:38:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

marko69

A little hard to see in the pic, but there is an impression branded into my plastic window. The shelf below the window was not seated properly and consequently the shelf edge pressed into the window when the top was lowered. It was a very hot day.  I spent an enormous amount of time making this piece and would dread making another.
Any possible way to repair this?

stitcher_guy

I'd probably try a heat gun, but very carefully. Top up and latched so that the vinyl is taut and pulled in it's intended place, then apply heat. I do this when I'm taking fold marks and creases out of a curtain. You might want to experiment with a scrap of clear beforehand so you know what to expect with the window. I take it right to the edge, where the clear gets shiny and pulls tight, then the whole area almost acts like it's going to sag and drip . Pull back and let the top just sit there. Don't touch it, just let it cool and dry and shrink back to position, hopefully without the brand.

marko69

Ok, thanks, I'll give that a shot.  I have plenty of left overs to practice on.