Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 02:54:08 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Shaping foam with an angle grinder

Started by marko69, January 23, 2013, 04:05:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

marko69

I watched a youtube video where the guy cut out a bad section of a car seat bolster and then glued in a piece of open cell foam.  He then rough cut the shape with a turkey knife then fine tuned it with an angle grinder.  What king of pad or disc would you use to grind the foam?  How about on closed cell foam? Thanks.

JuneC

I've done it numerous times on boat seats with 60 grit on an angle grinder - old and used is better.  Never tried it on closed cell, but works like a champ on standard or dri-fast foam.  Wear a dust mask - the bits get EVERYWHERE.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

ive used a disk sander or grinder as my dad always called them.as you heavy grit .

Darren Henry

Ditto; I've got a 5" pneumatic that is about the size of a 3/8 angle drill and a bulkier 6" electric that I normally use for fibreglassing. 50 grit works best, but I have used 80 rather than running into town. As said; it's one messy job. I go outside with safety glasses and a smock on.

As Mike pointed out --- this a a disc of "sand paper",not a stone as in "grinder".

I can post pics if we are unclear.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

marko69

Ok great!! I'll give it a shot...
I've been trying (for years) to make a mold of the seat cushions then filling it with pour foam, but it's expensive and very time consuming.  I think it's time to learn how to repair the old ones.

MinUph

Quote from: marko69 on January 23, 2013, 06:42:47 pm
Ok great!! I'll give it a shot...
I've been trying (for years) to make a mold of the seat cushions then filling it with pour foam, but it's expensive and very time consuming.  I think it's time to learn how to repair the old ones.

Or shape a new one with this method. A gentile hand its easy.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

Another technique for getting flawless rounded surfaces if you're making a new cushion from scratch, is to cut your basic shape as best you can with a foam saw/turkey carver.  Make it smaller than necessary by about an inch or so.  With 1" soft foam make a cover and glue to your carved block. 

Here's some pics of a bolstered sunbed I did years ago.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

June, your a master. I marvel at your work just wished you posted more pics of the work you do.

Awesome. :)

Chris

fragged8

If June does it that way, thats what i'm going to do ..

I don't do that many cushions but from what I have done I never see the point in sanding foam ?
if its the right shape the cover tends to pull the foam into the required shape .

MinUph

Shaping foam is mostly for bike seats, contours that are originally molded.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

marko69

I would love to shape out a new seat cushion, but I think the curves, angles, and slits are just too difficult for me.  I can image going thru 10 blocks of foam before I got one that was even close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kbqPg9doQE

By the way, here is the video I mentioned before.  Skip up to about 4 min to see the shaping section.  I also work on this particular seat cushion that he's doing.  They are from the 70's and early 80's and they are almost always trashed at the spot he's working on.

Darren Henry

Here are the two I use. I use 2.2 lb seat cushion foam 'cause I always have it on hand and the denser grey foam he is showing is alot more money than the cheap people that want an old seat refurbed would pay for.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!