Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 06:16:13 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ever cover a Motorcycle Seat with Leather?

Started by NDAV8R, April 11, 2011, 06:52:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NDAV8R

April 11, 2011, 06:52:06 pm Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:00:35 pm by NDAV8R
Hey there gang:
 I am faced with a job of recovering a Honda GoldWing (King/Qween) seat. It had vinyl with a sheet of plastic underneath it from the factory. And most of the insert seams were heat bonded together. The owner diffenitely wants black leather in it's place.
  Have any of you covered motorcycle seats with top grain leather(I assume the best type of leather)?  It is possible to replace the insert seams with a few recessed buttons like some Harley seats I have seen. Any Ideas???  What can I use to treat for an occational rain shower... Seam Sealer and under plastic? I have searched some of the old posts, but still need some input.

Any ideas?

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

SHHR

I usually just stitch them up with a small as possible gauge leather needle on the machine. the needle holes seal up pretty tight and I will put slick film on the foam, but that's more for ease of installing the cover. I'm modifying a fairly expensive Mustang seat right now for a Harley that is leather from the factory and they took no special precautions with it. I don't know what kind of "shape" your seat has, but a lot of guys want me to carve them out to more of a bucket shape that supports them better. personally I like to do seats with as few seams as possible just for a clean look and will glue the cover down on the foam too just so the cover takes the shape good. Of course then you can't really use the slick film.
Kyle

coachtrim