Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 04:21:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Kudos to Miami Mike! And pictures of a little motorcycle project I'm selling.

Started by hdflame, September 12, 2010, 12:14:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

Just wanted to give a special thanks to Mike for the awesome material yardage and sample books that he sent!  Also sent me a couple of nice t-shirts too!

Just wanted to share some of the finished pics of what I was using the material for.  It is what's called a lap robe.  This is basically an old school piece of riding gear that was first used (I think) in sleighs and carriages during the cold winter months.  Later they were adapted to motorcycles but are not as frequently used today, so that makes them hard to find.

Here's some info on mine.

This is not a Lap Robe that is intended for just year round rain protection.  It is intended for extreme cold weather riding only, due to it's heavy quilted construction it would be too hot for warmer temps.  With the quilted model, you could basically just wear regular street pants in the winter on short rides.  As seen in the pictures, it also extends high up on the front of the chest for extra wind protection.  I also have this same style with a single layer, except for double layer in wear areas, that would be more suitable for normal cold weather riding days.

Lap Robe installed and draped over the seat.

Lap Robe attached around rider.  Your coat should be placed over the top of the lap robe.

Complete coverage all the way down your legs and boots.

3 inch wide belt wraps around your waist and attaches with Velcro.

View from bottom side with the lap robe thrown forward, out of the way for mounting your bike.

Here's some more pictures of details.

Here, you can see the backside of the top material.  This is the flap that you tuck under your butt to help hold the lap robe in place.  This is the only place that I left a single layer of material.  Leaving the rubberized backing exposed, helps it grip to your bottom side while sitting on it.  You can also see a close up of the 1000 denier Cordura and Marine top material for comparison.

2 inch wide heavy duty Velcro.

Extra wide 3 inch belt.

Reinforcement sewn around the attachment point.

This is the seat flap hanging down so you can see it.

Attached in front of carbs.

As seen from the bottom side.

Here is a link  to view all of the pictures in this album.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v646/HDFlame/Upholstery/Ural%20Lap%20Robe/

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

fragged8

hiya

Interesting little project dude, i'm guessing the embossed flames are
on the other side  ??   ;D

Rich

hdflame

Quote from: fragged8 on September 12, 2010, 02:04:15 pm
hiya

Interesting little project dude, i'm guessing the embossed flames are
on the other side  ??   ;D

Rich

I'm saving the flames for the next one! :D
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)