Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 10:24:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I registered my business name as a domain!

Started by hdflame, August 27, 2010, 08:53:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

Been thinking about going with my own webpage registered in my business name, so I went to Go Daddy's and registered www.riddlescustomupholstery.com.  I don't have it hosted yet, but at least I know that nobody else could register it.  Thought I would start working on my own site so I can incorporate it into my advertising, i.e. business cards, or what ever.  Looks like pretty much every legitimate business has their own site these days....or at least people expect you to.

Anyone else starting up a site or thinking about it?

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

bobbin

That would be me, Bobby. 

I have always worked from home but have never ventured out into the World Wide Web, though all my friends assure me I must do so.  I'm still fiddling around with names and not having much luck, but something will come to me.  I hope. 

Congratulations on your first big step, it's all very exciting. 

seamsperfect

August 27, 2010, 03:57:33 pm #2 Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:56:36 pm by seamsperfect
Quote from: hdflame on August 27, 2010, 08:53:50 am
Been thinking about going with my own webpage registered in my business name, so I went to Go Daddy's and registered www.riddlescustomupholstery.com.  I don't have it hosted yet, but at least I know that nobody else could register it.  Thought I would start working on my own site so I can incorporate it into my advertising, i.e. business cards, or what ever.  Looks like pretty much every legitimate business has their own site these days....or at least people expect you to.

Anyone else starting up a site or thinking about it?

I have a site I put up in 03. Have not touched it since but on all my site pages I get close to 1 millon hits a year,  so I know people are looking at my products/services.  
I finally am launching a new site soon and currently have over 400 pics on it I think I will stop at at a thousand.  Not all my customers can be in the galleries........ ;)  I specialize in upholstery kits so I have www.creativeoptions.info redirects of www.seatkit.com www.seatkits.com www.bmwupholstery.com
Kevin

Mike8560

I find my website a must have advertising tool i pay less the 200 for a 2 year plan. at http://www.homestead.com/

www.bayviewcanvas.com

stitcher_guy

I've had www.prostitchauto.com for years. My brother hosts it for me (no charge), and he set it up. It's always pretty much been static, but provides the basic information and e-mail contact.  I need to get a message to him and ask him to put in a notice on the front page telling customers to check out "pro stitch auto interiors" on Facebook. I've been putting up projects in the works and finished work and keeping it very fluid and up-to-date.

hdflame

I think having your businessname.com just adds credibility to your business.  Seems that everyone has a webpage these days, and I know I've just come to expect it with all businesses.  Googling a business name to find out contact info and to see what a business offers is the first thing I do when I'm looking for info.  I can't remember the last time I called information or looked in the Yellow Pages.

I'm looking forward to starting to build my site myself and not relying on someone else to make changes or keep it up to date.  Right now, I have www.sunstopper.com which is just for an item I sell mostly on eBay.  I do get some business from motorcycle forums.  It hasn't cost me anything so far because a friend offered to register it and host it for nothing.  Problem is, I hate to ask them to make changes and updates to it.

I think once I get my website up and running, I'll put it on Facebook and YouTube also.  A lot of businesses are taking advantage of those two for FREE advertising.  I know a lot of us look for how to's on YouTube and in doing so, I run across a lot of business ads.

I've decided to focus on a nitch area for motorcycles right now and I expect most of my sales will be generated from the webpage.  I'm planning on starting to build it next week, so I'll be asking for your input, suggestions, and critiques.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mojo

I started as a marketing and communications consultant long before there was an internet. I can honestly say it has been amazing ( and fun ) to watch the transformation of business from stick and mortar store fronts to full fledged e-commerce sites. Trust me when I tell you HUGE amounts of money are being made on the internet by small businesses.

I started a computer repair business for my son when he was 14. He was a magician with computers when he was a kid. When he hit 19 he changed directions and concentrated on the internet. Him and two other kids started a company and started writing software. They then branched into web hosting. I was so pissed off and felt for sure he was headed down a losing path. I watched him lose nearly everything he had with this stupid dream.

At the age of 25 all three hit millionaire status. Their company now is international with offices in the USA and London. It is worth 10's of millions of dollars now. As a CEO at the age of 32, he is semi retired and looking for another venture. I am extremely proud of him and appreciate the Daddy tax he pays to me........LOL.......

But it was the one mistake I have to admit to and one of the few I ever made in my career - Not anticipating the growth of the internet and its impact on small businesses. I was slow coming aboard back in the late 90's but I later seen just how important it is.

Every business should have a website. And you are right. Having an e-mail address tied to your business name is extremely important and a professional addition to your presence as well.

When you start building your site, let me know Bobby. I have helped several people here on the forum with their design and layout and will be glad to help you too.

Chris

Mojo

I get a ton of hits each month as well. But a lot of those are software robots doing probes. So when you see that your site has been visited half a million times you can pretty much be guaranteed that 80 % of them were probes done by computer robots.

Chris

bobbin

I have been very interested in this discussion, mostly because I now slightly more than nothing about websites, "optimization", etc..  I am all about learing about these things and doing as much of the work myself as I'm practically able; which is not to say I wouldn't turn it over to someone else if I felt it was the practical route to take.  For now, though, like Bobby, I'm interested in learning by doing. 

What I'm finding is tougher than I expected is coming up with a name that will not only tell people what I do but will stick in theirs mind and be easy to find on the web.  Not as easy as I thought it would be, by a longshot!!

seamsperfect

August 29, 2010, 05:51:15 am #9 Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:57:02 am by seamsperfect
Quote from: Mojo on August 29, 2010, 04:55:50 am
I get a ton of hits each month as well. But a lot of those are software robots doing probes. So when you see that your site has been visited half a million times you can pretty much be guaranteed that 80 % of them were probes done by computer robots.

Chris

This is true,  hits and visits are different as well as unique visitors.  I usually only do 20k a year in hits.
My site is not optimized the whole site was done with pics and no key word searches.  Most of my visits come from forums and word of mouth referrals etc.  The new site is fully optimized and my numbers will go up.
Kevin

Mojo

I have said this on here before but will gladly repeat myself.

There is a lot of psychology that goes into developing web sites. I used to sit and read reports
that were conducted  by research firms and Universities to help web developers create sites that work well with the consumers mind.

Color is a big issue. There are certain colors you try and avoid as they are unpleasant to the human mind when viewing on a computer.

Lay out. The vast amount of human minds work in a certain way when viewing and reading things.
These were all developed over years from reading books, magazines and newspapers. Our minds are trained to read in certain ways. When a web site is laid out in a dissimilar way it causes the brain to start ignoring things.

Busy Sites. When you create a web site that is busy ( has to many things going on ) it can create a turn off to the mind and many consumers will simply click away from your site. Make it simple and easy to navigate.

Wording. Writing text and wording can also have a turn off effect. A web site should be very well written.
If your not a writer then simply put down what you want to say and then pass it on to a couple friends or family members and have them help you polish it off.

Somewhere on this forum are posts I made a year or so ago about how to design a website. I am sure if you do a search you can find it.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Chris

bobbin

Chris, this is very kind and very generous of you.  I'm certain I'll have questions in the future, right now I'm still feeling my way along and that's just fine for the time being.  Points on color, wording, pictures, and "navigability" are points well taken. 

I do some searching and hunt up your past commentary and posts.  Thanks. 

Mojo

Bobbin:

Finding a name can be real difficult. My only suggestion is to come up with a name that does not pigeon hole or limit you to an area of this trade.

You never know what the future may bring and you may want to expand into other areas. This is why I have the business name I have - Stone Vos Inc. This used to actually be my marketing and PR company. :)

I just incorporated it again since my prior incorporation expired in Michigan. This time I went with listing it in Delaware.

Chris

seamsperfect

Quote from: Mojo on August 29, 2010, 02:52:24 pm
Bobbin:

Finding a name can be real difficult. My only suggestion is to come up with a name that does not pigeon hole or limit you to an area of this trade.

You never know what the future may bring and you may want to expand into other areas. This is why I have the business name I have - Stone Vos Inc. This used to actually be my marketing and PR company. :)

I just incorporated it again since my prior incorporation expired in Michigan. This time I went with listing it in Delaware.

Chris

Agreed that is why my main name is creative options with various specific redirects to the same site.  Nice thing about it is they can stand on their own......
Kevin

RussW

I registered my name and started my site ( www.rwupholstery.com ) in July of this year. Since doing upholstery on and off  for the past 30 years, I figured it was about time. I also had new business cards made up and added the site address to the cards. With around 80 hits so far, I've already picked up two jobs. Very cheap advertising. Good luck with yours.
Russ