Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:41:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help me stop the spammers!

Started by hdflame, July 22, 2010, 06:45:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

July 22, 2010, 06:45:59 am Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:47:36 am by hdflame
Hey guys and gals,

Just checked this morning and we had 18 people (spammers ?) wanting to join the site.  Yesterday there were 8.

What I'm trying now is requiring new members to activate their account.  If this doesn't stop the spammers I have one other option.  I will require EACH one to answer a question about why they want to join the site.

If anyone sees any spam, please click on the "notify" button so I'll be sure to know if this is working.  I'm determined to stop some of this junk from getting through!  Hopefully ALL of it.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mojo

I seen this on another forum and thought of you and thought I would pass it on to you Bobby. :)

I wish I may
I wish I might
create a spammers hell tonight
A place so dark
a hole so dank
filled with feces so that it deeply stank
gather those spammers
gather them all
line em up , and let them fall
deep in the smelly hole
down the putrid ravine
never again to be heard or seen

PDQ

Wouldn't a simple random question be better than requiring new members to state why they want to join the site? Your suggested method mean that you will need to waste your valuable time vetting each new members question before acceptance?

Is there not an addon for random questions?

For example:

Random question:

How many letters are in the abbreviation "FWD"?

You may either enter the digit or the spelling of the number.

Answer: I'm a bot. how the heck do I know

If answer = false Then "The answer given for the random question was incorrect."

wind_rose_2

Bobby, everyone l find l inform you of..some are rediculous others subtle but the can be gotten rid of with vigilence of our members.
Dave

hdflame

Quote from: PDQ on July 22, 2010, 07:56:53 am
Wouldn't a simple random question be better than requiring new members to state why they want to join the site? Your suggested method mean that you will need to waste your valuable time vetting each new members question before acceptance?

Is there not an addon for random questions?

For example:

Random question:

How many letters are in the abbreviation "FWD"?

You may either enter the digit or the spelling of the number.

Answer: I'm a bot. how the heck do I know

If answer = false Then "The answer given for the random question was incorrect."

I wish it were that easy.  I have not been able to find an option to add a random question.  Maybe I can get Ken to ask his website forum support people.  Since I don't actually own the site, it's harder for me to do some things.

I get reports from a lot of you already.  I just wanted everyone to be aware of the reporting option available to them.

I hate the spammers as much as everyone else.  Just wanted to let everyone know I was trying something different.  Maybe this last change will be all that I need to do!
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

fragged8

hiya

this being an SMF forum there is a support forum

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php

you may find something there ?

Rich

Mojo

Bobby:

I contacted my son who owns a large software and server company. They produce forum software similar to PHP. It is a high end forum program used mainly by large clients such as Yahoo, NASA, and many other big corporations. I explained to him that you were getting hit hard with Spam and this is what he said:

Not all spammers use robots to automatically sign up as new members. Spammers pay young people in China, Russia, etc. a certain amount ( pennies ) for each registration they make. Once they are able to make a successful registration then the spammer attaches a bot program to the site which hits you with more Spam. The only way to rid yourself of the spam is to switch software packages ( his program is not cheap ) or go to an admin approval process. This will require the Admin to approve all new members.

Him and I discussed the forum here and he felt it would be easier to go to the Admin approval process since we do not get many new members signing up every week. I could probably get him to sponsor this site with new software and server space but it requires someone on your end to have a great deal of expertise with forum software.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions PM me and I can take those back to him or I could put you in touch with him via e-mail.

Chris

gene

July 22, 2010, 06:32:22 pm #7 Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:34:21 pm by gene
How do we know this thread was not started by a spammer, just pretending to be Bobby???

If this is really you Bobby, thank you for your hard work. I read recently that as much as 95% of all emails are spam. Forums are certainly a major target for spammers.

If this is not Bobby, please let me know and I will "notify" the real Bobby.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on July 22, 2010, 06:32:22 pm

Gene

Wait a minute.  ???      How do we know this is really Gene?
Also, if we are going to report Spam, I think we should report "Beanie Weenies" as well. And how about those Vienna sausages in that little can? You can NEVER get the one in the middle out without poking your finger through it!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

hdflame

Quote from: sofadoc on July 22, 2010, 08:50:32 pm
Quote from: gene on July 22, 2010, 06:32:22 pm

Gene

Wait a minute.  ???      How do we know this is really Gene?
Also, if we are going to report Spam, I think we should report "Beanie Weenies" as well. And how about those Vienna sausages in that little can? You can NEVER get the one in the middle out without poking your finger through it!

You're supposed to leave the middle one till last! ;D

Believe it or not, in the last couple of days that I've started monitoring this closer and requiring admin approval, we have had about 10-20 new members signing up a day!

What I'm doing now is checking to approve members but requiring them to activate their account.  I think this actually sends an email that they have to respond to.  Maybe that will stop them.

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

hdflame

It seems there has been a reduction in spam.  Anybody seen any in the past few days?
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

mykoo000

Deliveredcheap wow luna gold gold, on the steps at the lincoln memorial in washingtond.c. on august 28, 1963five score years ago, a great american, in whose symbolic shadowwe stand signed the emancipation proclamation. This momentousdecree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of negroslaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice.it came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night ofcaptivity.but one hundred years later, we must face the tragic fact thatthe negro is still not cheap wow gold free.
one Eve isk, hundred years later, the lifeof the negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles ofsegregation and the chains of discrimination. one hundred yearslater, the negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in themidst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. one hundred yearslater, the negro is still languishing in the corners of americansociety and finds himself an exile in his own land. so we havecome here today to dramatize an appalling Eve isk condition.
in a sense ffxi gil,we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check.when the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent wordsof the constitution and the declaration of independence, theywere signing a promissory note to which every american was tofall heir. this note was a promise that all men would beguarranteed the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and thepursuit of happiness.it is obvious today that america has defaulted on thispromissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned.instead of honoring this sacred obligation, america has giventhe negro people a bad check which has come back markedinsufficient funds.justice is ffxi gil bankrupt.
we refuse to believewow power leveling, that there areinsufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of thisnation. so we have come to cash this check -- a check that willgive us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security ofjustice. we have also come to this hallowed spot to remindamerica of the fierce urgency of now. this is no time to engagein the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drugof gradualism. now is the time to rise from the dark anddesolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racialjustice. now is the time to open the doors of opportunity to allof god's children.
now is the timebuy wow gold, to lift our nation from thequicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock ofbrotherhood.it would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of themoment and to underestimate the determination of the negro. thissweltering summer of the negro's legitimate discontent will notpass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom andequality. nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning.those who hope that the negro needed to blow off steam and willnow be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returnsto business buy wow gold as usual.
here will wow power leveling,be neither rest nor tranquilityin america until the negro is granted his citizenship rights.the whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundationsof our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.but there is something that i must say to my people who stand onthe warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. inthe process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guiltyof wrongful deeds. let us not seek to satisfy our thirst forfreedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.we must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane ofdignity and wow power levelinguna gold discipline.

luoxiaosang

I was RuneScape Gold,in my mid-20s (about 10 years ago) when this occurred. A friend had a small group of us over and we were drinking and carrying on, and by night, we were all feeling pretty good. At around 3 in the morning, we had the brilliant idea of going outside and wandering the RuneScape Gold neighborhood.
    For starters,archlord gold, the neighborhood was in a not-so-great part of town, pretty well-known as a haven for drug users of all kinds, mostly crackheads, as well as gangsters and general thugs. While I didn't live too far away, the difference was night and day. I knew better than to wander this area, especially at night, but off we went. To add to that, we were pretty tipsy, talking quite loudly for the hour, I'm sure, just generally being archlord gold disorderly.
    We started last chaos gold,crossing a small park, when we were approached very suddenly by a short, grinning black man. He appeared to be in his late 40s, possibly early 50s, with a thin afro, some of it gray. His smile was absolutely beaming and it made me smile hugely, too. It was the most infectious smile I'd ever seen. In fact, this man had the most infectious spirit I'd ever encountered. I felt joyous beyond belief. Immediately we greeted and hugged each other. We called one another by name without introducing ourselves, and although I can very clearly remember him calling me by my last chaos gold name.
    I couldn't wow cd keys,remember his name even as soon as the next day. But at that moment, we absolutely knew each other, absolutely loved each other, like no two people had loved each other before. The only other words we spoke to one another were, "I know you." And we said this almost in synch, as the hugeness of that thought just occurred to both of us. Our souls were absolutely intimate. The moment lasted about 30 seconds. My friends merely watched with astonishment because something was just generally so bizarre about that wow cd keys moment.
    Then maple story power leveling,the man moved on around us, and I didn't watch him go, but could see him leaving out of the periphery of my vision. I have no idea why that little detail strikes me as being so important, to this day, but it does. I'm sure I smiled on for another good minute, just being extremely happy. I was absolutely, positively, 100% no longer drunk from that moment on. The episode, the "meeting," was not the result of being drunk, but it sure ended it.I don't know who that man was. I'd never met him in my life. I'm quite sure if you asked him, he'd say the same thing about me today. I don't know why I know maple story power leveling that.
    What had been dog carriers,so beautiful that night the next day scared the hell out of me. I couldn't understand what had happened. I remembered vividly what had happened, but it made no sense to me. Likewise, my friends all contend it's the strangest thing any of them ever experienced. They all felt something "heavy" occurring as the two of us met. They somehow knew that we didn't actually know each other, despite our reaction to one another.Something purely spiritual happened that night, I'm quite sure of it. I'll never forget dog carriers it.

PDQ

Quote from: hdflame on July 29, 2010, 10:31:06 pm
It seems there has been a reduction in spam.  Anybody seen any in the past few days?

Nope, not seen any whatsoever.

hdflame

Well, I can see from the above posts, someone has a sense of humor! ???

Humor or not.......they're banned now!
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special