Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 07:00:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

cotton

Started by MinUph, December 22, 2014, 04:15:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

For you furniture people. Do you use cotton? Or have you succumbed to the Dacron era?

I'm going back to cotton and wonder where you all purchase it. I can get it right next door to my shop. (no shipping) but it is a heavy blend. This might be the norm now a days so I'm asking. I don't expect to find pure cotton anymore but a decent blend would be good.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I still use it on some older pieces. I usually buy about 1 roll per month off a supply truck.

The stuff I buy is called premium grade, but it ain't like the premium that I remember back in the day. But it is WAY whiter than the economy grade they sell.

I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. I'm interested to see how it compares to what others are buying.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I use to buy 2 bales at a time. I'm planning on getting one at a time to see how things go. I don't like using Dacron on furniture bodies. Been using Dacron for about 6 years working for the last owner. I want to kick it up a notch and go back to better quality. I feel cotton makes a better job. I have still used it on some antiques but I will be using it on everything except cushions now. We will see.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

What is the difference between cotton and Dacron, from a construction perspective?  Does the cotton provide a more even surface, or does it "wear" better over time?  I would like to better understand how switching back to cotton would "kick the quality up a notch".

SteveA

I think the cotton is a better feel but I use both.  I reuse all the fillings from past re-coverings and add to better what was there.
I need the old road map of how things were installed and I follow that plan -
SA

kodydog

December 23, 2014, 05:11:28 am #5 Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:17:47 am by kodydog
Cotton has a better feel and look. If you want that over stuffed marshmallow look go with dacron. Cotton lays flatter without a big crown.

It gives the look you see in antiques. That's why some upholsterers like to use it when working on older pieces.

I especially do not like the look of dacron on decking, seat fronts and outsides. In my opinion outside arms and backs should lay flat. I'll often split the dacron for these areas.

Cotton is more dense. It will not flatten over time like dacron will.

Cotton is also easier to use. Which may justify the cost. Just rip off a piece, lay it on your work and trim it to size. And you usually don't have to staple it on.

Cotton is all we used in the factory I first worked in back in the 80's. I reupholstered some barrow chairs from that factory several years ago and noticed they went to dacron.

I like the cotton at All American Foam in Jacksonville. Not to thick not to thin.  
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

When comparing to Dacron, what kind of Dacron are you guys talking about?

The bonded Dacron, or the felted Dacron with a muslin or synthetic layer stitched on one or both sides?

When the supply truck comes, I usually buy 2-3 rolls of 54" bonded Dacron, 4-5 rolls of 27" stitched Dacron, and 1-2 rolls of premium grade (at least they call it premium) cotton. 

I would probably prefer cotton more, if I could find a better quality around here. I tend to use the stitched Dacron more on applications that normally call for cotton.

Back in the day, my parents used cotton almost exclusively because they thought it was way cheaper than Dacron. And maybe it was back then. I think it all depends on how you do the math. The overall difference in price may be negligible. 

There can be a greater waste with cotton. You pad up an arm, and tear off the excess. There isn't much that you can do with that excess. You can always find something to do with Dacron scraps.

I like to split bonded Dacron in half and use it as a sub for a muslin lining over cotton.

But it really all depends on the quality of both cotton and Dacron that I have on hand. Some of the Bonded Dacron rolls that I get in are smooth as a baby's butt, while others feel like an S.O.S. pad. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I'll add my 2 cents about cotton. In the past it was used exclusively on furniture. It is much more shape able than Dacron, doesn't have the puff that Dacron does like what Kody explained. Dacron on front seats adds a ballooning effect. In shaping I will explain. When you have cotton under fabric and you need to flatten out an area you can mat it doesn't with your hammer to smooth it out. With Dacron you cant. Also cotton can be regulated much easier. The end product is has a much nicer feel and it holds up much better. It does add value to a job.
  I have not done the math yet in comparing cotton use to Dacron. It really doesn't matter I will use it anyway. As for scraps of cotton, I put it in a barrel and use it to fill in low spots under the top layer of cotton. Spring unit cushions call for cotton also.
  Now the cotton I've been getting isn't all that bad but as I said it is a blend that has gotten worse through the years. Hence I'm looking for alternatives. Until I find it I am satisfied with my suppliers product.
  For those of you that have not tried cotton I would recommend you buy a roll and put it on a front seat band to see the difference.
  When I speak of Dacron for use on the body I am talking about the bonded type. The sewn Dacron is nice and used on cushions sometimes. I also have a bag of loose Dacron fill for cushion work.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

Opps forgot to mention this. For those who use a steamer and Bonded Dacron.

Press a piece of bonded Dacron with your steamer, now imagine what happens when you do this on a finished piece.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Thank you for the explanation of cotton vs. Dacron.  I know exactly what you mean about the "marshmallow" effect.  I had a channel back chair redone a few years ago and the seat front looks overstuffed and the fabric, while fastened neatly still has a "lumpy" look to it. 

chrisberry12

Cotton is used for a good base and building up, like on inside arms, instead of cardboard and foam. I use cotton all the time. I use bonded Dacron on cushions and to cover cotton when using light colored fabrics as the oil from real cotton shows thru and sometimes the oils in natural will discolor also. You can get natural from Albany Foam and Supply in NY State USA or Irvin Alan Fabrics, you can get a box of three rolls. I like there cotton the best, it splits really nice. There is also Vincent Manufacturing in Little Falls, NY, USA, I believe the manufacture the cotton in house, natural.

Chris

MinUph

I use to get my cotton from Vincent for years. Alan was always a good guy. I don't know what shipping a bale would run but I will be giving him a call. I will also try the other mentions suppliers.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website