Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 07:16:20 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Thread Prices.......

Started by baileyuph, September 26, 2014, 05:29:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Thread is rather easy to find but the price of it has inflated.  I think we only have one, maybe two local sources for thread which drives the price up when shipped in.

I don't use so much marine thread, good thing because some larger spools are or can go over a $100 and some for a spool.

Put it all together, our type of business have to compete with larger sewing activities - makes business tougher all the time.

Doyle

bobbin

I use only polyester thread.  Smallest is 46, largest is 138.  My business is mostly interior work, so 92 has become the higher end for me. 

I buy from the Thread Exchange.  They have the variety I need and they stock the spool sizes I need to accommodate a clientele that provides fabrics in multi-colors.  Because I don't do a lot of exterior marine work I haven't bothered to move into the world of Solar Fix (overkill for me), but I would definitely go in that direction if my business dictated it!  (turned down a big restitch on a winter cover yesterday... Fairclough winter cover).

sofadoc

Speaking of The Thread Exchange.

I recently bought one of their 10 lb. "Grab Bag" specials. The whole thing came to $36 including shipping ($3.60 lb.).

It's a nice way to add some oddball colors to your arsenal. There is a mix of sizes ranging from 46 to 207. Just 2 of the larger spools would've cost over $36.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

The size 46, when do you primarily use that size?  That in a polyester probably would work well with some of the thinner slip materials?

Polyester is a favorite, still use nylon for indoor work quite a bit.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on October 24, 2014, 05:56:36 pm
The size 46, when do you primarily use that size? 
I use 46 when doing lightweight jobs on my non-walking foot machine. And sometimes I use it on throw pillow jobs on my WF machine.

For regular furniture jobs, I normally use 69 nylon. But if I happen to have a better color match in a 92 or 138 poly, I won't hesitate to use it.

But as a rule, I save the 92 and 138 poly for outdoor cushions.

And I have some spools of 207 that I use for the occasional heavyweight jobs that I normally steer clear of. Such as when a regular customer holds a gun to my head and makes me do a trampoline, or tarp repair.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I have found that #46 is a very nice size for slipcover work; medium weight goods where 69 is moving toward "overkill" and 92 is too big.  The "Goldilocks" compromise.  I use routinely on my Juki 9010 as well as my Juki 1541.  I prefer polyester because it is strong, stable, and doesn't degrade in UV; perfect for marine work. 

I like The Thread Exchange because I can buy smaller spools and not "break the bank".  I have found them to be a fabulous resource and they have the best FAQ and general information on thread types/applications I've ever found.  Wonderful company!

bobbin

I finished a slipcover this afternoon and I was thinking about this thread (received a small order of thread from Thread Exchange the other day, as well). 

#46:  I like the stability of the thread when washed, it has nice "give", plenty of stretch when tensions are properly adjusted, and I like that it works nicely on any of my machines esp. my 9010 and my 1541.  The 9010 will easily trim the #46 thread, but it will occasionally not always cut #69 cleanly; naturally, the 1541's knives have no trouble with thread of any weight.  What's important to me is that #46 allows me to knock down the needle size on medium weight fabrics... I can routinely run a size 16 in both the 9010 and the 1541 and not leave huge punctures in fine, lighter-weight goods.  This was especially helpful when working with Ultra Leather.  I bumped up to #69 for any topstitching. 

If I am working on a stoughter fabric, or upholstery that will routinely be required to endure exterior applications the lightest thread I'll use would be #69 (and usually a size 18 needle). 

Mojo

Thread prices ? It is the one thing that brings me to tears. $ 210 delivered to my door per 1 lb spool and I go through pounds and pounds of it every year. MiamiMike used to get a laugh when I called and said I am crying. His next statement was " how many spools of Solarfix do you need " ?....:)

I use nothing but Solarfix. I am currently the only topper maker using it and it gives me a huge
competitive advantage. Catalina Rick also offers Solarfix and upsells it to customers.
He is typically very good at getting his customers to pay for the upgrade. I believe Mike also uses it.
It is expensive but the stuff lasts for decades.

I have a very hefty warranty ( 3 years ) and I cannot afford to use Poly. I am doing topper replacements for customers that have two year old toppers and the thread is already ate up. And yes even Sunguard has been among this group. The vast majority of my customers spend time in the high UV ray States.

Doyle I have not had a price increase on Solarfix in almost 3 years. The poly thread maybe going up though.

Chris