Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 05:44:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Great idea for cutting foam!

Started by gene, August 16, 2018, 05:58:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

65Buick - Just wait until November when you take that EZE home to carve the Thanksgiving turkey. You'll wish you had stayed with the electric knife. LOL

I wonder if the two knife cutter does soft foam easier?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

With my cutter on soft foam sometimes I have to let the cutter sit there a few seconds before it gets going. Also I have found if you start cutting at the edge of the foam, where the foam makes a 90* angle it starts easier. Perhaps if you cut a small slit before you start cutting the cutter will work better.

"like say I pad the backrest with soft foam, and I want to trim it to the top rail. Will it do the same thing?"

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Are you trying to trim the foam while it is attached to the piece? I've never tried this method. I think for best results the foam needs to be on a flat table.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on August 29, 2018, 05:20:57 pm
I wonder if the two knife cutter does soft foam easier?
I've never compared the one-blade and two-blade cutters side-by-side, but I can say that I have no trouble cutting soft foam with my two-blade Bosch.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Have you considered the Bosch oscillating tool (corded) ?  Come on Doc -
SA

kodydog

Compared to my one blade cutter the Bosch is quieter, smoother (less vibration), faster and yes it cuts soft foam as soon as it touches it.

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on August 30, 2018, 09:51:33 am
Have you considered the Bosch oscillating tool (corded) ?  Come on Doc -
SA
You mean these? Luv 'em.

SteveA

no boss - this one for staple shaving

sofadoc

August 30, 2018, 02:24:22 pm #22 Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:25:13 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: SteveA on August 30, 2018, 01:08:48 pm
no boss - this one for staple shaving

Oh OK. I'm with you now. Mine isn't a Bosch brand, but I do use one for shaving staples.

65Buick

KodyD-
Yes, in certain situations I have attached foam to the backrest, then cut it. Especially if curved. I suppose I could do it another way, just seemed easiest.

kodydog

This can probably be done with an electric knife but I don't think with a EZE. I'm pretty sure the base of the EZE needs to be on a flat surface to work right. I like to lay the foam inside the cavity and mark it with a Sharpie. Then lay the foam on the table and cut with the foam cutter. If its a big piece like a sofa I'll cut it big and mark it a second time to fine tune it. Sometimes it takes a couple of try's to get it just right.

gene

Cutting foam that is on the furniture with the base plate removed from the Bosch foam cutter.

https://youtu.be/7oBDgbqXyLE?t=58

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

August 31, 2018, 07:46:37 am #26 Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:33:14 am by SteveA
That young fellow does a really nice job.  I've watched his videos many times, - they are up in Canada - doesn't look like a very big shop but a lot of action there
SA

sofadoc

I'm more interested in his glue gun.

65Buick

Yes, that's where I learned of that technique.

SteveA

I don't think that is a glue gun - it looks like a gravity feed finish gun.  It's going to clog - adhesive guns don't mix internally -
SA