Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 07:10:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Great idea for cutting foam!

Started by gene, August 16, 2018, 05:58:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Do not try this at home! Or in your shop!

I've been using an electric carving knife to cut my foam. I've gotten pretty good at it and I don't think I cut enough foam to justify buying a Bosch or other cutter made specifically for cutting foam.

I sharpen the blades on my electric carving knife and over the years they got worn to the point where I was going to get a new one. Then I had this great idea!

I've cut foam a few times by holding a hack saw blade in my hand. It works well but is tiring on my hand. So, I epoxied a hack saw blade to one of the worn out electric carving knife blades. What a great idea! Unfortunately, it does not work. I think the hack saw blade is moving too fast with it's small teeth and it just does not cut the foam. I was so proud of myself just before failure entered my world. Sometimes reality is harsh and uncaring.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Never give up. It took the inventor of WD40 40 try's to get the formula right.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

It's definitely worth purchasing a dedicated foam cutter.  Maybe you can keep your eye open on ebay for one. 
Expensive but what isn't ?  Solid business expense for deduction -
SA

65Buick

I look all the time ebay and rarely does a used bosch go for much less than a brand new one.

Gene, you must have cut an awful lot of foam for those blades to become dull.

I've looked at a couple fileting knives (electric) which some people say work great. But they have the short coiled cord. And, no bottom guide to keep the blade straight.

kodydog

August 17, 2018, 06:19:47 am #4 Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:24:31 am by kodydog
I used a turkey cutter for many years before I ran across my foam cutter. Here are some things I learned.

Some electric knives last longer than others. I remember it was always a crap shoot when choosing one. I bought one that lasted only a year while others lasted 5 years or more. The problem with the short lived one was the plastic gears did not hold up. I never owned one long enough to wear out the blades so maybe Jean can tell us what brand he currently has.

Learning to get straight cuts is a skill. Spraying the blade with silicone helps tremendously. I found if I kept my focus at the base of the blade it was easier to get a straight cut. No cut edge will be absolutely perfect when cutting with an electric knife. But by the time you add Dacron and add push to the cushion the foam will conform to the casing.

I bought a slightly used foam cutter from a guy I was working for. Brand name was Queen. It was basically a jig saw with a long blade and a flat base. Unlike a turkey cutter blade this blade has tiny teeth. The motor died after 6 months. I had a Montgomery Ward jig saw I bought back in the 70"s. I switched out the blade assembly and it has given me good service for 18 years.

Bosch is the Cadillac of foam cutters. Well worth the investment.

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on August 17, 2018, 06:19:47 am
Bosch is the Cadillac of foam cutters. Well worth the investment.

Bosch isn't making the 1575A foam cutter any more. They sold the patent to Consew.

You can still find a few Bosch's for sale, but the price has gone WAY WAY up (over $900).

The new Consew 1575A is a carbon copy of the original Bosch.

https://www.ebay.com/i/132718708822?chn=ps
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

Yup, straight cuts are tricky. I do fine now, and as you say, with Dacron etc it doesn't matter much.
Still using a Monty Ward that was given to me. And first used as the tool for the TG turkey. Keeps on hummin away.

gene

August 18, 2018, 05:17:38 am #7 Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:18:13 am by gene
A trick I found with the electric carving knife is that I always pull the knife toward me. I usually use both hands to pull the knife toward me. If it's a long cut I will stand on a stool and lean over the table to reach out as far as I can and push the knife into the foam and pull the blade toward me. I'll then flip the foam around so I can do the same thing from the other side of the foam.

On curves I'll pull the knife toward me and then rotate the foam so I can continue to pull toward me. I've found that this helps me to keep the blade perpendicular to the table top.

I've tried hanging the foam over the edge but that doesn't seem to cut as well as pulling the knife toward me on top of the cutting table.

I don't know why I've never bought a professional foam cutter. Here's a link to some less expensive one's.

http://www.upholster.com/upholstery-tools/foam-cutter.html

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

With the $600 Consew/Bosch, both blades move alternatingly.

With the $300 Acu-cutter, it has 2 blades but only 1 blade moves.

With the $150 EZE cutter, it only has 1 blade.

MinUph

I'm sorry guys but being frugal with your tool choices is not a very professional way to be in business. The time it takes to cut foam with an electric knife is way out of line with any sort of production. Let alone the ragged look of the cut edge. Dacron is not meant to fix being frugal. I use this term so not to offend the easily offended of this day and age. LOL
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on August 18, 2018, 06:01:07 am
I'm sorry guys but being frugal with your tool choices is not a very professional way to be in business. The time it takes to cut foam with an electric knife is way out of line with any sort of production. Let alone the ragged look of the cut edge. Dacron is not meant to fix being frugal. I use this term so not to offend the easily offended of this day and age. LOL
Your point is well taken. But I'm not sure that I completely agree in this case regarding foam cutters.

I have 2 Bosch foam cutters. Love 'em, use 'em everyday. But I do a lot of foam replacement for walk-in customers. If I tried to do that with a cheap electric turkey knife, I'd burn the motors up about once a month.

But for a shop that only cuts a few cushions a week, it's harder to justify the cost of a Bosch.

I cut foam with a turkey knife for many years. I didn't really have overly "ragged" edges to contend with. They were fairly smooth.
My grandmother used to hold a butcher knife over a heater. Her results were EXTREMELY ragged.

If I were starting a new shop from scratch, and only had X number of dollars to spend, an expensive foam cutter would be pretty far down on my list of priorities.

I would either stick with a $15 turkey knife from Wally World, or go all in for a Bosch. I wouldn't buy any of those "tweeners".
But that's just me. Many people report being completely satisfied with the EZE or Accu-cutter.

65Buick

Paul, I am highly, highly offended. I can't even begin to --

Sprung for an EZE. Letcha all know how it goes. Next job pays for it anyway. My edges weren't ever ragged, but looking foward to an easier tool to use.

MinUph

Good for you 65,
  You will appreciate the tool.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

The EZE is basically what I have, just a different brand. You will be happy with the results.

65Buick

Well the EZE is pretty burly compared to a turkey knife.
Thick, solid foam - cuts like 'a hot knife thru budda'
Though, soft foam, it kind of just runs into it. Which is a bit concerning - like say I pad the backrest with soft foam, and I want to trim it to the top rail. Will it do the same thing?