Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 08:55:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

rotten wood

Started by Darren Henry, May 13, 2017, 03:57:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

This isn't really an Upholstery crisis, but I want to hear from all of the rest who work with wood. (Steve and Keith and Ed etc...come to mind) I am in a bit of time crunch on this one as well.

The floor in that 38' camper I bought last year to rent/sell/turn a profit on, has gone to pot. I know the correct fix is to remove the 12 foot slide out, and  the flooring and all the things on the flooring and replace the wood. If Winnie and I were going to get some personal use out of this and I could recoup the money I have into our '77 motorhome  I wouldn't be asking this. BUT;

Years ago I worked with a guy who was big into wooden boat and in their "forums and magazines" they talked about an epoxy that one could inject to store rotten transoms.decking etc...

Do any of you have experience with these products? Are they a viable option, and where might I find some up here?

I have an opportunity to rent the camper for 5-6 weeks beginning 01 June if the guy likes the photos I am to send on Monday now that we have it de-winterized and cleaned.

Look forward to your help folks. Thanks,Darren
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

The product your thinking of for marine use is "Get Rot"

https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Life-Git-Rot-Penetrating-Epoxy/dp/B00144EN3Q

The stuff saves rotted wood on boats. You drill a bunch of holes into the rotted section and fill them with this epoxy product. When it hardens it is like a rock. Don't know how it will hold up as a floor. I've only used it on like window frames etc on boats.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

The epoxy's I use are West Systems (Canadian manufacturer)  and Abatron WoodEpox - The west systems have fillers that can be added if needed - the Abatron not as structural as West Systems but it is a putty that can be molded like clay into a specific shape.

The answer is that epoxy alone isn't the best solution  - you will need to key/splice in new wood using the epoxy to join the replacement parts.
You're going to hate the suggestion but you know what the correct fix is  !
SA

Darren Henry

thanks guys. I was hoping that stuff was a true miracle cure even though I some serious doubts about it.

Anybody want to come up and help me pull a 12ft slide out out? Fishing season opened yesterday and the river is only a couple of miles away.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I just found 50 rotted slide floors during my coach inspections at a big rally in Elkhart. It is an ongoing problem and water inside an RV is a terrible thing.

Chris

byhammerandhand

Quote from: Mojo on May 14, 2017, 08:19:48 am
I just found 50 rotted slide floors during my coach inspections at a big rally in Elkhart. It is an ongoing problem and water inside an RV is a terrible thing.

Chris

We got an RV a couple of years ago after being away for 20 years or so.   But yes, leakage and wood rot is a common and expensive proposition.   Our new RV had a plumbing leak that resulted in a soft bathroom floor.   Luckily, the company covered it even though it was a bit past warranty period.   It took them two weeks to fix it and I'm glad I didn't have to. 

Everyone we talked to prior to purchase said that slideouts were not a problem but I suspected otherwise, so avoided it.   I've heard of slideouts that didn't slide back in while camping.   The warranty manager said their most common warranty issue was repairing slide outs.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

QuoteI just found 50 rotted slide floors

In my case it isn't the slide floor,but the floor underneath where the slide out sits when it is in. I'm still trying to figure where the moisture came from to cause it.

Mojo

Darren:

I do not know the construction of your RV but a lot of leaks that appear under the slide start from either the top or side seals. They run down behind the seals and depending on how your RV construction is can pool on the floors on both sides or find its way under the slide. I have seen some serious problems with delamination and structure sagging under slides.

Some RV slide systems have drip pans underneath as well and can add to the problem. I would have to see the way your slide system is constructed to better advise you.

I just conducted a seminar on slide floor leaks in Elkhart this month. I flew back home for a few weeks and am flying back, getting my coach from my sons house and heading to Ohio to do another rally and seminar...........on slide floor leaks.

I just finished a slide floor plate job for a customer yesterday. It was a huge job - 6 plates including a flush floor double plate job. Slides add a lot of square footage to an RV but they are a royal pain in the ass and cause a lot of problems.

Chris