Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 30, 2024, 08:36:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My "Crash Cart"

Started by sofadoc, August 02, 2014, 08:35:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

The bank where my wife works was throwing out this rolling cart.

I turned it into my "crash cart" (after all......I am a doctor.....right?).
I keep all my pertinent tools and supplies on it, so I can roll it right next to my work.
Screws, staples, hand/air tools, cordless tips, etc.
The bottom shelf has my foam cutter, scissor sharpener, and my "House call" tote.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Great idea at the right price.

My woodshop is too small to support another piece (I already have to walk sideways around stuff.)

I thought about doing something like this for a hotel customer where I was doing one or two pieces in the room, one piece down the hall, etc.   I ended up just taking most of what I needed in a little wooden tote that I made.

This reminds me of a story about my "pear box."    When I went off to grad school, I got a wooden pear box from the barn for a moving box.  It quickly turned into my nightstand in my college efficiency apartment.  Once graduated, I added a handle and converted it into my carpentry tool box that sat in that apartment closet.   I still use it from time to time to store  and carry tools.   Now it's rustic chic?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on August 02, 2014, 08:49:49 am
This reminds me of a story about my "pear box." ..........   

I think we all have a "pear box" in our lives. Something crude, that once served a basic purpose.
We could've replaced it long ago with a snazzy new one, but for mostly sentimental reasons, we still use it today.

Mine is a wooden tote that I made in Jr. High shop class over 40 years ago:

I keep all my snap fastening paraphernalia in it.

Darren Henry

Sweet rig 'doc, but I'm like Keith---no room. If Dufrerne haven't picked u their 2 pieces and the Brick drop off 2 pieces---I have to go outside to change my mind, it's so crowded.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

Sure Doc - the bank can afford new equipment with the rates they give back on saving accounts. Are you sure this cart isn't to help keep you uprite because it's been mentioned that you fall down ? 
SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

Love your crash cart.  I'm on the lookout for something rolling I can organize things like you have.  I'm always reaching for something or another.  That cart looks like it was made just for you.

Virginia

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on August 02, 2014, 12:37:46 pm
Are you sure this cart isn't to help keep you uprite because it's been mentioned that you fall down ?
Truer than you think.

All my life. Throughout the course of everyday activity, I've occasionally tripped or stumbled, But I was always able to regain my balance before falling completely.

Up until the last few years.

Now......... when I trip or stumble.......ain't no stopping me.......I'm goin' down.

In addition to falling and breaking a pinkie finger recently, I've hit the ground  3 or 4 other times in the last couple of years. Just part of gettin' old I guess.

Maybe I do need to keep my crash cart handy.

bobbin

Casters are marvelous things! and I really like the idea of having your stuff "mobile".  I have a couple of rolling carts, one very cheap and wobbly, the other wire mesh and annoyingly too low.  It holds my sample books and pressing equipment (hams, sleeve boards, distilled water, and a cheapie steamer). 

Great idea, Crash. 

byhammerandhand

Too many Shiners before quitting time?

Quote from: sofadoc on August 02, 2014, 05:36:06 pm

Now......... when I trip or stumble.......ain't no stopping me.......I'm goin' down.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

Doc
I'm sure with 1000 things on your mind you're not paying attention to where you're going. Falling is serious at our age - when you get back up there may be an injury that needs treatment or an acute pain that lasts for 2 months.  Then of course add those new injury's and pains to the usual pains in the knees, back, and shoulders and you know Father time is causing trouble. When I think back to the way I could work when I was 25 - my output today is 10% of that. Sure hand trucks, dolly's, carts, I'm always looking for an easier way to work because the days of bulldozing over work are long gone.
SA

Mojo

I got a " crash cart " several months ago and love it. I can wheel from one shop into the other shop.
I really like the portability of it. Wished I could take the credit for thinking of the idea but the boss lady is the one who came up with the idea. :)

I bought mine at Harbor Freight and then bought tool box trays to place my tools in according to
my " system " and how I use them. It helps me keep everything in order and in one place.

Here it is: http://www.harborfreight.com/large-steel-tool-cart-with-locking-drawer-90428.html

If one of you wanted to see me hauled off by the boys in white to the chuckle hut then sneak in some night and re-arrange my trays and tools. It would send me over the edge and I would need heavy doses of thorazine to cope.

My wife and I work off a different system and when she came out to the shop to sew a few weeks ago she re-arranged my system to suit her. Despite her being the owner of the company I let her know how much I appreciated her help and how much I love her but to leave my damn system and tool organizing the hell alone. :)

I really need some med's for this frigging OCD of mine................:)

Chris