Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 07:04:30 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

When you're short fabric

Started by bobbin, December 02, 2011, 02:53:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

OK, the prayerful customer gives you yardage that is "short" but you think you can "make it work".  Where do you look first to "save" fabric?  The deck area? the hidden portion of the boxing? do you eliminate welting?

How do you guys "make it work"?

MinUph

December 02, 2011, 03:21:35 pm #1 Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:22:00 pm by MinUph
Pulls save allot of fabric. On and inside arm measure to bury 2" under the rail and add a pull. Same for the IB and the rear of the inside arms and back. If you run out of fabric call the customer and have her get more. You can only do what is possible.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Most of the time, I don't allow for a self deck when figuring yardage, so I can't really save any there. You can save in other areas (such as hidden boxing, welt, etc). Another trick is to cut the outside panels only long enough to reach just below the skirt (bring the dust cover up the sides below the skirt).
But I try to make my customers understand that any money savings they may realize by skimping on the yardage will be more than offset by the extra labor costs for "Making it work".
Other that my recent "prayerful customer", I don't have a big problem with skimpers. In fact, most of my customers usually buy a couple more yards than I tell them to.  If I know ahead of time that there's plenty of fabric, I install a self deck.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

December 02, 2011, 03:42:06 pm #3 Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:45:20 pm by gene
Use a Jesus black velvet poster for the outside back. She'll love it.

Make your welt cord from the scraps of fabric. It's a lot of pieces to sew together, and if the fabric is not too thick, the multiple diagonal seems won't be too noticeable. Ironing the seems helps to get them to be less bulky.

Do not match anything. If you can, cut vertical as well as railroaded, however you can make it work.

Pull tabs are the best idea, like Paul said, other than my first comment above.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

December 02, 2011, 03:57:56 pm #4 Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:04:46 pm by kodydog
The above replies have it covered, even Genes idea would work in a pinch (although Elvis would be my 1st choice). The only thing I can add is if the fabric is a floral you can tell the customer it won't match (skirts, borders etc). Skirts especially take up a lot of fabric on a large repeat.

Or if the pattern runs up the bolt sometimes you can railroad it and save fabric.  I've run chenille's sideways without to much problem.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html