Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 12:37:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

THE DO'S & DON'TS OF WORKING IN A CLIENT"S HOME

Started by kodydog, December 01, 2017, 06:32:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

I checked my mail this morning and found this in my inbox from Manta. The first thing I thought was, oh boy I wonder what I'm doing wrong?
The good thing is I do most of these already. It's just common sense. And Rose keeps me on a short leash when were in public.

THE DO'S & DON'TS OF WORKING IN A CLIENT"S HOME

https://www.manta.com/resources/small-business-advice/dos-donts-working-clients-home/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email_Marketing&utm_campaign=SBT&utm_term=20171201&utm_content=SBT_Template_Boom&bt_ee=KHkFSnUTWApl/n1EJGl/6gvlqhXX0Zrj4huJzAO/xcWrhupIk9ulHTRtEqpEFTYm&bt_ts=1512127847868

The only one I disagree with is number 4

"Don't: Ask for Payment Before the Job is Complete
You wouldn't pay for a meal at a restaurant before your food even got to your table. The same principle applies when it comes to home services. Many homeowners would like to oversee the job being done and make sure it is up to their standards before any transactions occur. You should want your client to see your work in action before you discuss payment."

About 15 years ago we started asking for half down. And for things like dinning seats that have no value to anyone but the owner we ask for full payment. And if a customer is moving out of town we may ask for full payment. We have had problems with people moving and changing bank accounts. We have found asking for a down payment motivates the customer when Its time to deliver the piece.

When we were having our shop built the contractor split the price into 4 payments. Every time a phase of the project was finished he sent us a bill. And we immediately payed it to keep the ball rolling. We were glad to do it.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

My "Do & Don't" list is much simpler:

#1......DON'T DO WORK IN THE CLIENT'S HOME
#2......THERE AIN'T NO #2

Not to say that I've never fixed a button, or screwed on a new leg. But if it's more than a 10 minute job, it must come in to the shop.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Those are honest rules for anyone who works on site.  I'd like to think I'd follow those rules but can't say so 100 % -
Lately more often I want the piece back in the shop.  I hate working on the floor in homes and trying to figure out what tools and materials I need before visiting. 
Fill up a cushion, attach a button that's no problem.  Otherwise I way prefer shop-work if customer agrees.
SA

kodydog

The older I get the more I dread picking up large pieces of furniture. We did an incliner sofa last summer but told the customer they would have to bring it.

We're getting ready to add brass tacks to a new large sofa. We asked the furniture store to have the sofa in their warehouse and I would do it there. They asked if I could do it at the customers house. Sure, why not. Its a good job.

Last spring I replaced a back on part of a new sectional at the customers house. The new fabric was folded and shipped in an envelope. When I finished you could still see the line from where it was folded. Grrr. I told the customer I would have to come back with my steamer. (45 min drive each way) The customer said she had a steamer.  It was a hand held job ordered from HSN. But it got the job done. Yep, nothing like working in your own shop but 4-45 min drives just to replace an outside back didn't make sense.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

ALL of my work is in-home repair.

I do my very best to be prompt.   On the rare occasion that I'm running late due to a prior job overrun, I call and let them know.   I  also generally re-confirm the appointment the day before unless I've just made the appointment.    There is nothing worse for someone (especially someone who has to arrange to be away from work, pick up kids, etc.) than to say "I'll be there between 8 and noon, show up at 1pm, then say, "We'll be back in half an hour, we haven't had lunch yet."   On the other side, I show up on time and if I don't get an answer at the door, then  on the phone, I'm out of there in 15 minutes.  They are not running late or stuck in traffic, they forgot.

Cleaning up and working neatly is a must.   No smoking, foul language, eating and drinking, likewise.

I generally look around the door for a pile of shoes and at the customer's feet to see if they are in socks or slippers, and I remove my shoes.  This is a tendency especially for Asian clients.   I tried the slip on covers and 1) they don't fit size 13 shoes and 2) they are really slippery on stairways.   First time I tried, I nearly sprained my ankle.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

willierivera

Oh, my work is in-home repair too. This is really great work. In which state do you work?
Hi to everybody here!

byhammerandhand

SW Ohio.  I used to do a bit of Northern KY (Cincinnati Suburbs) but moved further out a couple years ago and with all the construction, was just too far to drive.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison