Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 09:27:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Business Cards

Started by kodydog, July 10, 2011, 10:34:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

July 10, 2011, 10:34:18 am Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:44:21 am by kodydog
Here's some good advice on how to create a business card by Desiree Farnum

http://www.gainesvillebizreport.com/how-to-create-an-effective-business-card/

How about a card with your info on the front and a picture of your work on the back?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Man, I thought was doing good with the template cards from Vistaprint. I can't imagine anything that I could custom design looking much better. I mean, the card is only so big, and you've got to include the basic info. There's only so much re-arranging you can do. I don't ever remember doing business with someone because I was so impressed by their card.
I seldom give out a card to actually attract business. I'm usually just giving one to an existing customer so they can remember my number.
I go through my wallet at least once a month, and throw out all the business cards that others have given me.
The front & back idea is pretty good. My grandparents had something funny on the back of their cards. This enticed people to hang onto them, in case they wanted to show it to someone else.
I know a guy that has a US/Metric conversion chart on the back of his card. People would  keep it as a handy reference. Hence, ergo, they hang onto his card.
Next time that I'm ready to order new cards, I think I'll try the custom route. It certainly can't hurt.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Great, one more thing for me to worry about!@#   ;D

bobbin

Kody, I had to laugh when I saw your post.  I have struggled and struggled over a stupid business card... wanting it to look "just so" and fretting over all the things the linked article said were so important and consequently never got them printed.  OK, now it's "crunch time", I now have my work in a location with very high visibility and had to get something done...  wound up having 200 of the cheapest cards printed up at Staples.  I wasn't thrilled with them, but they "got the job done".  No fuss, no muss.

No sooner did I get them home and study them than I began to realize that since I have a skill set that is so varied what I really need are cards geared to more specific aspects of my business! (eg:  marine canvas repair, alterations/tailoring, interior decoration work).

Oh well, my name and number are now out there! (and it didn't cost "all outdoors", either).

kodydog

Quote from: bobbin on July 13, 2011, 12:02:09 pm
  OK, now it's "crunch time", I now have my work in a location with very high visibility and had to get something done... 

Oh well, my name and number are now out there! (and it didn't cost "all outdoors", either).

Bobbin, whats going on. Sounds like your working more and more for yourself and less for the man. I've noticed your posts have been dwindling, you must be really busy. And now your in a new location? Whats up.

bobbin

My computer has died, Kody.  It needs a new motherboard, I think, should know in a day/two.  Either way, I have to do something and soon.  (I'm really missing Pandora radio in my shop).

I have been doing some nice stuff for a local interior designer lately and have picked up a few more jobs in my local area, not enough to keep me independently afloat, but a nice start.  Some of my work is in a very high visibility location and I've been "networking" with other area tradesmen and designers, so I have hope that things will continue to pick up.  I'm still "workin' for the man" (lol) but it's basically from the neck down, if you know what I mean.  It ain't easy establishing a clientele that will be there in all seasons, through thick and thin. 

We all know that!    ::)

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on July 14, 2011, 02:08:57 am
I have been doing some nice stuff for a local interior designer lately and have picked up a few more jobs in my local area, not enough to keep me independently afloat, but a nice start.

I don't envy you trying to cultivate your home business while still putting in your 40 hours for "The man". But as long as you promise not to let it affect your number of postings on this board, Kody and I will allow it ;)
You know, if you're carving out a niche with trendy designers and the like, the snazzy business card ain't a bad idea. You could give the "Plain Jane" white ones to the general public, or those that just want it to remember your phone#.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: bobbin on July 14, 2011, 02:08:57 am
  Some of my work is in a very high visibility location and I've been "networking" with other area tradesmen and designers, so I have hope that things will continue to pick up.  I'm still "workin' for the man" (lol) but it's basically from the neck down, if you know what I mean.  It ain't easy establishing a clientele that will be there in all seasons, through thick and thin.

We all know that!    ::)

Sounds like you have a good game plan. This site is a great source for information. With a little luck and a lot of work you'll get there. Building your business is something you never stop doing.

Good luck.