Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 06:32:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

ISO Lochner Cushion Machine FL

Started by MinUph, March 16, 2017, 03:46:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

I really miss my cushion machine.
  I have been sucking down filling to fill cushions and it works well but it takes longer, and just doesn't do as good a job as the lochner did. I've made a spot for it but have to find one. Anyone know of one in the Tampa Bay area?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

BCKC

well poop a doodle!!! I do the same thing with out all that crap a doodle!!! and in fact faster!! I worked with three hospitals all had cushions out the tail! is simple fast and my my my works wonders....time time and more time is what we need no cuchion sucker downer thingy
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them........http://www.candcupholsterydesigns.com

SteveA

You got to understand - Paul is old and needs these things
SA

sofadoc

I had a lead on one a few years ago. The lady was only asking $50 for it, but it was over 400 miles away. I offered her an extra $150 if she would have it shipped. She said no. She wanted someone to back their truck up to her barn and haul it off. She didn't want to go to any trouble.

There is one part called the "stripper" on those old Lochners. It's the spring loaded block that grabs the toothed bar that pushes the cushion forward. The one on mine was worn out. A 2nd person had to stand behind it and manually push the bar forward a little bit each time so that it would "catch". That was 20 years ago. I'm sure that the Lochners still in existence have only gotten more worn since then. Ideally, you want to find one that has just been sitting in storage, and hasn't been used daily. Replacement parts would probably have to be special made.

I thought mine was great for cotton wrapped Marshal unit cushions, but didn't care for it for foam/Dacron cushions.

If I stumbled up on one nearby, I'd buy it. But I wouldn't drive a long way, or pay more than a $100 for one now.

Quote from: BCKC on March 17, 2017, 07:14:35 pm
I do the same thing with out all that crap a doodle!!! and in fact faster!!
There was a time in my 20's, 30's, and even 40's that I didn't think that I needed all those thing-a-doodles either. Now, I take advantage of any gadget that I can get my arthritic hands on.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

These mechanical cushion fillers are a tremendous aid when filling the cotton wrapped marshall spring units.  In the day of their prime use, seems a lot of shops had them.  Then, when filler went to foam/dacron, they took a rest.

I have one, actually bought new and works fine, but for the thick foam cushions, for example 6 to 8 ", they work better if the oversize plunger and such optional devises for the machine is available.

For this kind of work, what do you do to facilitate closing the filled cover?  Go to zippers or still blind stitch?

BTW, I also have the seam stretcher for the blind stitching.  That is a great aid in keeping that process looking professional.

These machines several years ago (new) were not cheap.

Doyle

MinUph

April 29, 2017, 07:15:27 am #5 Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:59:20 pm by MinUph
I like the machine even on foam because you can get the core pushed up front really hard and pull it back once it's in there. Just can't push it in as well by hand. I would still use zippers to close unless it was a down filled cushion and then probably not on a machine filler. Doyle I also still use a seam stretcher to close cushions and pillows as it does make the job easier and smoother.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

April 30, 2017, 06:47:21 am #6 Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:47:47 am by gene
I use zippers on almost all my cushion covers and pillows. Occasionally when I do hand stitch a pillow or cushion cover I use spring clamps to hold the cover to the edge of a table edge sew away.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-in-Spring-Clamp-80002/100027346

A friend who does window treatments hand sews all her pillow covers and pins the fabric together and then hand sews it.

I'd love to have a seam stretcher but I don't hand sew enough to justify the cost (in my mind).

Silk film and my shop vac works great on all cushion inserts. It compresses marshall spring units good enough to slide them in.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!