Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 04:05:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Attached to Your Machine ?

Started by Mojo, July 10, 2016, 03:16:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Have any of you ever been attached to a certain machine ?

I just got my old Chandler up and going last night. It had been relegated to the corner of the shop and was collecting dust since we got the new long arm. Now that we have moved into the big shop we have room now for 4 sewing stations so last night I got my old Chandler out.

I had robbed a few parts off it and it was in desperate need of a really good oiling. I oiled the hell out of it, rotated it several times by hand and then let it sit over night. I then oiled it again the next day, replaced the take up and tension assembly, threw a new needle in it and fired it up. Still sews like a dream.

I yelled " My Old Girl still works like a charm ". My wife who was close by turned thinking I may be talking about her, realized I was talking about my Chandler and just shook her head. I have a special attachment to this machine because it was my original that I used to build this company with. It has been a workhorse, never failed me ( except when I did something stupid with it ) and made us a lot of money. It was our only machine for several years so it has a special place in my mind.

Have you ever had a machine you would never sell for love or money and have a special bond to ?

Chris

( I am sure some of you probably think I have lost my mind.........lol..)

RiCat

Chris, I can appreciate a emotional connection to a machine. I have a Singer 111w155 I have had for 38 years. Like part of the family. I hope to get er up and running again here real soon.

Rick

sofadoc

I sewed on my Juki 562 for 25 years. Never a problem. Loved the machine. But when I got a chance to upgrade, I didn't hesitate. All that love and loyalty flew out the window.

I told this story here about 5 years ago. I traded the 562 for a non-WF machine to a boy on this forum. We met halfway in Little Rock and swapped machines. He was just getting into the trade, and needed a WF.

He told me in a later email that he put the machine in his bedroom the first night just so he could stare at it.
It reminded me of a bygone time when that machine looked that good to ME too.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

I'm that way with a lot of my tools. The most notable is my choice in deer rifles. Every fall I walk past my newer, fancier ones and grab the old Lee Enfield I bought when I was 16. And before anybody gets smart----NO it is not a muzzle loader!! LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

When I turn on my 31-15 I know it's limitations, no reverse, no walking foot, clutch, etc ...... but it never failed me.  When I look at the machine I see an iron work horse looking back daring me to over work it.  Took me a couple of years to get all the right feet and parts manual -
Someday I'll upgrade to consew but the cast iron girl will remain ...... the Mrs. thinks she comes first but it's really the tools :)
SA

MinUph

Sometimes we do things and regret it later. I was very fond of my pfaff 145 and got out of the business for several years. The machine sat with limited use and then we relocated to fla. I trid selling it and ended up giving it away to a friend for his sister. Oh well.such is life.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Virgs Sew n Sew

July 10, 2016, 09:28:53 am #6 Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:19:40 pm by Virgs Sew n Sew
I learned to sew on a Singer 221 (featherweight is the more common name) when I was probably 9 or 10. It was my Mother's, given to her by my Father their first Christmas together.  I begged her for years to teach me and she kept telling me she would when my feet could touch the peddle from her sewing chair.  I was so excited when I could finally touch the pedal.  She was good to her word and taught me to sew on that machine.

Her stuff wound up in storage for many years and my oldest brother paid a hefty fee to get everything out.  Mostly junk except for a beautiful secretary that matched their dining room set (no one knows what happened to the dining room set), some old matt/box springs and the featherweight.  Brother Bob took it to the Singer store and had them oil, correct the tension and gave it to me the following Christmas.  Still runs like a charm.  I love it for quilting as it sews a 1/4" seam like a dream.  Need to take it in for cleaning/oiling again and will move it upstairs, thinking that I might actually get some "me" sewing in the evening if I don't have to run downstairs to do it.

Anyway, I wouldn't sell that featherweight for love nor money.  I have tons of memories of watching Mom sew our school clothing on it as well as tons of clothes for my Barbie's.  My other machines are just that, machines, but that featherweight holds a lot of sentimentality for me.  Coincidentally, I just made my way toward the storage case that the featherweight came in yesterday afternoon when I was downstairs trying to restore order in Sew & Sew and my new multi-purpose room. 

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Mojo

Whew. Glad to see others have attachments to machines. I was ready to call a shrink. :)

I did make a big mistake and sold my wife's Juki 563 to RiCat. She reminded me of that just the other day. But it did go to a good home. Rick loves the machine and I have to admit after Bobby Kovar over hauled it that machine sewed awesome.

Kody Dog and I each picked one up from the Monterey boat company when they closed their upholstery shop in Williston, FL. It seen some long production days but even when I got it the machine sewed great. I just knew that after spending its life in a production facility it was going to need some parts replaced.

Chris

Grebo

July 14, 2016, 01:09:54 am #8 Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:12:31 am by Grebo
My first industrial was a pfaff 545 bought second hand & already had a hard life, since then I have picked up another couple of machines, a Durkopp Adler which I just couldn't get on with & sold on and a much younger seiko which has better choice of feet & much quieter. But the 545 remains my #1 machine I just keep oiling it & cleaning it & it keeps on going. That's 15 years with me, no idea how old it is.
The seiko sits on the side lines waiting for it's moment. The 'others' have their specific uses & will just get replaced when necessary, overlocker etc.

Suzi

scottymc

Got my Singer 132K6 for my 21st birthday, Yes I was very attached to it but in the end I was not using it so much and after 33 years of good service sold it for 2G. I am still enjoying the 3 surfboards that money bought:)

kodydog

Quote from: Mojo on July 10, 2016, 05:26:29 pm

Kody Dog and I each picked one up from the Monterey boat company when they closed their upholstery shop in Williston, FL. It seen some long production days but even when I got it the machine sewed great. I just knew that after spending its life in a production facility it was going to need some parts replaced.

Chris

Mine was a good running machine. I sold it for $100 more than what I paid for it. And now wish I had kept it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

Hey Grebo--- Long time no read. Great to have you back!! The only Adlers I've worked with were patchers. [shoe repair machines] . They were the creme de la creme of patchers, odd that you didn't get on with the model you had.

Same with you Scotty---must be getting too "cold" for surfing down there so you stopped in LOL. Grand to hear from you. I'm not familiar with that machine , but $2000 for a used machine???? Is that "normal" for down under?? Up here my 111W155 would go for $5-600 newer machine could go as high as $1000 +.

That said--- minimum wages is $10.50, gas (petrol) is .98/litre, a big mac is $5. Just to put things in perspective.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

scottymc

Hi Darren. Mine was similar to this ,but I cleaned it up before advertising:)www.ebay.com.au/itm/Singer-132K6-sewing-machine-/231569976310They are a popular machine with motor trimmers over here and England, surprised they are not common in the America's.

Darren Henry

wow, I should start exporting used sewing machines to Australia. Up here you might get $300 for an old machine like that.

scottymc