Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 08:19:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Referrals !!!

Started by Mojo, February 13, 2016, 07:37:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I had a customer come in the other day wanting a new awning. He asked if I did coach interior upholstery. I told him I didn't but my buddy does. So he headed over to meet with Catalina Rick
and I guess Rick got the order.

Now here is the kicker. I asked Rick a couple months ago if he could do my coach interior. It was essentially the same job as this guy booked with Rick. He said he was booked out 3 months which wouldn't work with my travel schedule. Then he goes and takes this guys job ? WTH ??

All kidding aside Rick is doing this guys work in a couple months ( during my travel schedule ) but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a jab at my buddy on here. :)

It works out great for me as I have Rick that I can refer auto and marine jobs to and Paul for household stuff. I love sending business their way. That is what this trade is all about. One guy/gal helping another.

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

I have referred a few jobs to some other upholsterers in the area, large pieces of furniture and so forth, that I don't really have room to work on in my current work area.  A couple of them have referred alteration jobs my way.  I've also gotten a few referrals from a woman who used to do alterations and has retired.  The last referral told her that some of her previous customers had used me and were pleased enough that they called her back to let her know that she should continue to give out my name and number.  My favorite referral source is actually the business that I bought my Bernina from.  They get quite a few calls for referrals and have been giving my name and number out.  Haven't gotten enough business from them to pay off my existing balance with Bernina but every little bit helps.  ;)

Seriously, the main stay of my business comes from old customers who pass my name/number or give out the business card I gave them to a friend or co-worker.  Makes the occasional frustrations worth it when I hear that a customer, whose job was not as straightforward as first though, told the individual calling me that I just absolutely had to use Sew & Sew. 

Virginia

SteveA

Buddy or not there is an unwritten law among tradesmen and/or business acquaintances.  You must recognize  the efforts of a buddy when work comes your way.  How you do it is your business - in your case it was help with a personal job.   Still amazed how people treat recommendations -
Be positive maybe he'll step up to the plate and surprise you

SA

Mojo

Steve:

Rick is a good friend. I just had to harass him. He stops in from time to time for coffee and we settle the worlds problems. I have no doubt if I ever need anything or need help he would come running.
The hang up with the work I needed done was my own schedule not his.

Rick is a great guy and I was glad he could get the job. It will surely reflect well on me in the RV community and if he does a good job like I think he may end up with more RV'ers knocking on his door. That is how we built this company - all referrals. They are rabid forum participants and word of good work flies across the country.

I have sleepless nights sometimes because the RV community is massive yet such a very small world in regards to the internet. One wrong move on our part and the word would spread like wildfire.
They can mae you or break you in a heartbeat and I have seen it happen a number of times.

Rick is doing my coach furniture in June. He doesn't know it yet though.......lol.:)

Chris

Mike

is Rick a member here chris?

kodydog

February 13, 2016, 05:37:10 pm #5 Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:38:15 pm by kodydog
What? No referrals this way? Now I'm busting your b***'s. LOL  ;D
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

RiCat

Chris, thank you so much for the referral. The customer came over and we spent over an hour discussing their project to get a basic foundation established. Matters like materials to be used, design, technicalities on the mechanics involved, scheduling, and then going further in the discussion on (me) educating the consumer on the different aspects of the craft of upholstery. I am blessed to have received the latest stack book of Sunbrella Furniture fabric and this is what the wife is going with - on the aspect of how durable the cloth is. The project will be the two front seats - Captain's and passenger - with two rear couches. When they get back in the area - first of April - to have other work done for the RV in Wildwood, they are going to put up at a facility a day early in the area. We are going to meet and then spend some serious time in the RV with the material samples and discuss design work or redesign.

I can say that those on this forum will agree with me on this. For me one of the top three things that establishes a successful, long lasting upholstery shop is: Reputation! Takes a good amount of time to build a good one and a shorter amount of time to destroy one. On the aspect of this being a referral from a friend and a peer in the craft, I take this referral very, very serious. Chris is the one that has put his reputation on the line referring us and it is my responsibility to make doggone sure I protect Chris. If I do this, then mine will automatically come right along with it.

I am looking forward to the RV project. Adding this to the portfolio and with other RV projects done in the past, I will need to gather the pics together and get the RV section of the website done.

I now have to see how many big projects I will lose having to say I am booked on major projects ($1000+) through April - along with Chris's front seats in his coach in June (see Chris, I ain't forgot cha) 

Rick

Ps. Mike, I have been a member of the forum for years. I just don't post much.

Mojo

I have no doubt you will rock the job out Rick which is why I referred them to you.

Ed, if I get any requests in your area I will surely refer them to you. I have seen your work up close and personal and it is impeccable and you can tell a master craftsman did the work. :)

Chris

Mike

"Reputation! Takes a good amount of time to build a good one and a shorter amount of time to destroy one. On the aspect of this being a referral from a friend and a peer in the craft, I take this referral very, very serious. Chris is the one that has put his reputation on the line referring us and it is my responsibility to make doggone sure I protect Chris. If I do this, then mine will automatically come right along with it. "

said perfectly!