Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 10:47:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Staple Remover

Started by Mojo, August 14, 2015, 11:04:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

SteveA

Looks high tech - and mean - the staples jump out by themselves when the tool shows up  -
SA

Mike

I wonderd also when chris from Miami showed it to me last month also .

sofadoc

I'm intrigued. And I'm a bit of a gadget/tool freak, so I'll probably order one.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Kind of pricey for a staple puller, IMHO.

I do like the thought of being able to "pull" once in awhile.

It reminds me of a Klingon knife I saw on Star Trek the Next Generation. I think Warf was sticking in some bad alien.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

RiCat

I just bought one last month at Keystone's open house. They had them on sale. Looking at it I found it intriguing. I tried it and did not like it. When I don't use the air chisel setup to remove staples, I use a Berry. It is probably me on not giving it enough time to get used to the tool. For me, I am so used to the Berry, there is a lot less chance of mistakes on the Berry slipping and damaging vinyl. That is what I was leery of with the new staple remover. The thing is so big, one slip with the new sharp edge and oh oh. I am getting to old for oh oh's

Chris, if I can remember, when I see you later on this month, I will bring it for you to ck out. What type of staple remover do you have now?

Rick

sofadoc

I notice that they also make another model called the "Cat Face" (even pricier). This one looks more like a staple remover, and less like something for gutting Klingons.

http://www.prowlertools.com/products/cat-face

Mojo

Rick:

The only staples I remove are from paper. lol....:)

Unfortunately I am like Dennis and suffer greatly from gadget-itis. You seen the box I had of feet and folders and other machine gadgets. I have a 10 x 15 room at the storage place chuck full of woodworking machines, tools, etc. One of these days when I get a new shop built I can get my woodshop back together again.

I had never seen this type of staple remover so wanted to know if others have used it. Just for curiosity sake. How much does this staple remover cost ?

BTW, I have another Girard patio awning re-stitch coming your way this fall once the customer
gets down here. Same as the last one you did.

Chris

sofadoc

It loos like Miami Corp wants $29 for the Prowler. They don't offer the Cat face.

The Prowler website sells the Prowler for $32 and the Cat Face for $37.

I'm sure that like all of the different staple removing tools, their uses would be specific.

Darren Henry

I'm with RiCat that control would be an issue with the prowler. Where so much of my work load is repairs where the existing material/vinyl etc... will be re used---I'd be too afraid to use a curved blade like that.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on August 15, 2015, 07:17:04 am
........so much of my work load is repairs where the existing material/vinyl etc... will be re used---I'd be too afraid to use a curved blade like that.

Yeah, the website says:
"When the upholstery doesn't need to be saved and you need to strip it off easy and fast"

Darren Henry

My bad! I didn't stop to read the narrative. I took one look and ran screaming LOL. I had to catch up to my left hand, which often gets too close to what I'm doing, anyway---it had already left. grin
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

On a FB upholstery group page, this guy here says that he bought both styles about 7 months ago. He said they felt bulky and hard to work with, and they've been sitting in his tool box ever since.

http://www.furniturerecover.com/

RiCat

"When the upholstery doesn't need to be saved and you need to strip it off easy and fast"

If I have a lot of staples (like a pontoon boat) and want fast, I get out the air chisel setup. The air chisel is a life saver on effort and time

I think Keystone had them on sale for $10. I am also a nut on having unique tools. So for me also, it sits in the tool box.

Chris, thanks for the recommendation. I love them resew jobs. "Gravy"

Rick

SteveA

My favorite is the Osborn with the saw tooth side.  That's in one hand and a wire cutter in the other. I grind the edge of the wire cutter to a point and dull the cutting edge.    I use the wire cutter to tap the wood handle of the saw tooth puller and if the staple is stubborn the wire cutter grabs the leg.
I can't resist tools but this one isn't getting a good review here  - guess I'll hold off and save some money -

SA