Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 07:23:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pink Spots

Started by Danny D., July 27, 2012, 07:54:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Bump...

So did anything work? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Danny D.

So far, the Marine Spray 9 was tried with no results to speak of.  The fungicide hasn't been tried, but that may be next.  The cushions that are affected had additional foam padding added to increase the size and comfort.  I wouldn't think that would cause any problems, but I could be wrong, been there before.

Danny D.

needles eye

Hi Danny,

suggest that you buy a hundred buck steamer and then thouroughly steam all of your foam cushions, that is, before actually recovering them. Trust that the mould / fungus hasn't spread through your shop!  :o

Actually the steam will pop out all of the old wrinkles and indentations etc from the old foam and will bring it up like almost new. Check it out! Can then do a dacron wrap if you're feeling particular (obviously use s/s staples).  :-X

One can also use teatree oil or euculyptus oil in the water / steam solution - however as June has succinctly stated it's bleach (1 : 4) is the only thing that effectively kills off mould.  :-*

Painters generally paint a ten percent bleach solution in their wet areas (shower ceilings etc) prior to undercoating / painting. Anyway, as  Pink Floyd says, welcome to the machine ...  ::)

Pink gin, anyone?

scarab29

There was an article in marine fabricator on pink mold a couple years ago. If you are a member you might find it there. Know i threw out the mag so not much help on the date. I think iosso had some treatment for this too.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike

August 07, 2012, 02:42:12 pm #19 Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:44:19 pm by MikeM8560
You don't have to be a member to get the mag I do and this is available online past editions also but I don't know how far back.

http://marinefabricatormag.com/

Miami Mike

WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

needles eye

Top stuff, Champ, searched the fabricater mag and couldn't nail anything down..
Pink gin flowing at my joint ..

slow96z

I have the pink spots too.  I initially thought it was bleed through from a sharpie but June told me about the fungus and after further research that's what it is.  Funny to hear the comments on here, especially about the cheap vinyl, since the stuff I removed was thin with the fuzzy back and it had no pink, but as soon as I put some new Port o' Call vinyl on there I get the spots everywhere.

I will tell you this, the Ortho rose anti-fungus did not help in any concentration, and when applied straight it melted the vinyl.  I don't reccommend it.  I'm just going to face the music and recover the seats again, this time paying special attention to cleaning the foam.  I think I will wet it and freeze it after I clean it, just to make sure nothing survives; I don't want to have to do them again-again!

Miami Mike

It really does not matter what marine grade vinyl you use, but some have better properties than others. This pink stuff can hit any vinyl.  Just have to watch out for the 4 things from my last post. I would recomend new foam or wrap the old with a foam plastic wrap. I know it's hard to up sell all your customers on new foam, but I would think if you all show them what can happen if you use the old foam. I bet you will get the new foam and a better piece of mind. Also by showing them these pictures and they do not want to buy the new foam, you should not have to worry if for some reason they get pink. But I know you would still work with your customers.

My last few thoughts on this.

Mike
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

JuneC

Quote from: slow96z on August 13, 2012, 03:01:26 pm
I put some new Port o' Call vinyl on there I get the spots everywhere.

Who makes that?  Never heard of Port 'o Call.  Spradling? Morbern?

Quote from: slow96z on August 13, 2012, 03:01:26 pm
I will tell you this, the Ortho rose anti-fungus did not help in any concentration, and when applied straight it melted the vinyl. 

YIKES!  I've used fungicide and never had that happen. 

Problem with Omnova's advice is that bleach will rot the thread unless you've used a PTEF.  I've known a few boat owners who simply let it be and after a year or so the pink disappeared.  Replacement is probably the only known quick fix I guess.  Too bad vinyl mfgrs can't figure out a way to combat this. 

And MiamiMike's right - it happens to all qualities of vinyl from what I've seen.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

I've seen the pink spot problem on vinyl but never on Nautolux
and we also get it here on PVC , When trolling the web I found a
sail and canvas cleaning company on the UK south coast who claim
to be able to clean the pink staining ?? I haven't contacted them
to see if I can get some info, perhaps I should.

Rich

SeattleDude

November 02, 2013, 10:31:27 pm #26 Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:36:37 pm by SeattleDude
I found a product that gets rid the pink mold stains.  It's called pink away.  The spots on my boat are exactly like the ones first shown in this forum's thread.  It's available on www.pink-away.com
I signed up for a testing and got a free sample.  It was enough to remove the 10 or so spots I had on my 2004 Maxum's white vinyl seats.
Nothing else worked for me.
SeattleDude

Grebo

When I reuse old foam that has been wet or is a bit green, I always steam it & give it a long dry out in full sun. Not had any pink issues with it so far.

Suzi

fragged8

November 11, 2013, 04:42:58 pm #28 Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:48:15 am by fragged8
hey guys

I'm currently in talks with the guy who is developing a specific chemical for the Pink Spot,
he tells me it works well and I am waiting on some samples when i get the forms back to him

Peppy

Quote from: Danny D. on July 28, 2012, 08:44:51 am
The vinyl I used was Spradling Soft Side with their new permagard treatment.  It's supposed to make the vinyl easier to clean, but evidently doesn't prevent things like the pink spots from happening.  I'll try the cures given, saving the complete re-do for the last resort.  Thanks.

Danny D.

This spring co-worker made cushions for her own boat out of that vinyl and its covered in pink spots. Never seen pink spots on Soft Side before now.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠