Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 06:37:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Charts and graphs

Started by sofadoc, January 26, 2014, 12:25:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lo

So here again numbers only tell part of the story :)

56% drop off in New Topics BUT only a 29% dip in overall posts . . . perhaps we should do some additional regression analysis to see if this is truly a trend or just an outlier year (Yo Keith can you pitch in here?)

As a newbie to this forum I have limited experience overall BUT truly enjoy the camaraderie it lends to those of us in this profession. It's hard for me to fathom what my current exposure and thought processes would be like without this forum, Carr's Corner, and the Facebook group. Sure, I like to showcase some of my work on Facebook as it is EASY in comparison to this and the other forum site. Plus, because Facebook flows visually as soon as entered it is possible to SEE images faster than here where one must click through multiple 'word pages' to get to the guts.

I can appreciate what it takes to manage over sites like this and Carr's Corner for OUR BENEFIT. However, these have a different 'feel' than Facebook so is not only somewhat less inviting to newcomers but perhaps also intimidating (just thinking out loud). I do use the search field for past posts here and at Carr's; but I must confess it is cumbersome as one sifts through multiple topics whilst looking for an answer.

And then there is the willingness to 'put oneself out there' to ask questions of colleagues (or experts from some viewpoints). I am far from having the years of service in this field compared to long-timers such as Dennis and Mike. And although I enjoy reading your posts at times I am uncomfortable chiming in for fear of being ridiculed or kicked around (and then are those days where it's like 'oh what the hell').

The above rambling does not explain the current decrease in activity . . . it may however, bring about an awareness that quantity of posts does not equal quality of posts (just saying :)

byhammerandhand

Pareto distribution:    20% of the members do 80% of the posts.  Strict interpretation of the 80/20 rule holds precisely when the Pareto index is α = log4(5) = log(5)/log(4), approximately 1.161.   Coincidentally, or not, that is also the Golden Ratio, which as designers, we should know and at least consider when faced with "how much" issues.

I'm going to shut up now.

Quote from: Lo on January 28, 2014, 05:52:12 pm
So here again numbers only tell part of the story :)

56% drop off in New Topics BUT only a 29% dip in overall posts . . . perhaps we should do some additional regression analysis to see if this is truly a trend or just an outlier year (Yo Keith can you pitch in here?)

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

forsailbyowner

Gotta   agree what was said about diyers. I have one customer who did his own enclosure, he did a darned good job and said he saved thousands, he also said hed never do it again. Canvaswork seems outragous expensive, till they learn all thats involved and equipment necessary. I dont often reside in a place with an internet connection as I stay anchored somewhere most of the time. Thus my activity comes in spurts. mostly when im visiting a girlfriend on shore.

Darren Henry

QuoteI dont often reside in a place with an internet connection as I stay anchored somewhere most of the time. Thus my activity comes in spurts. mostly when im visiting a girlfriend on shore.

Have you ever considered one of those internet sticks? It's a device the size of (and plugs in like) a flash drive. It gives your computer/lap top access to the same satellite technology as the "smart phones" use. I bought one when Dad was dying so he could use my sister's lap top from the hospital (no internet connection in the entire building) and it was great. I have it on a pay as you go plan [duh] that is ≈$43/month. My home cable internet is $58.

The internet is my only contact with the outside world. I only add time to my cell phone when I go back to Ontario,my home phone is a Magic Jack ™, and no one remembers how to write a proper letter ---so the rest is all e-mail. We've had "issues" with the satellite internet at work flaking out, and I've had to take it out there a couple of times.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

January 31, 2014, 06:50:43 pm #19 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:53:52 pm by kodydog
Not just an upholsterer Sofa but a true blue died in the wool couldn't dream of doing any thing else upholsterer. Oh wait that's me. Yikes!

I've been on the forum less because the wife and I both got jobs in the city. We bought another house to be closer to work and that house has no internet or phone or TV. That makes me a visitor to this site when we visit our country home on weekends.

Also because of our new jobs our upholstery business has slowed to a crawl. I don't have the business questions I once had. Most of my latest questions deal with being an employee rather than an employer. Some times I can't help but feel like I'm coming off as whiny when I talk about the odd situations that come up while working for someone else.

I still visit every weekend but only reply when its something I have strong feelings for.

The transition from business owner to employee is tough. But we got back our W2's this week and were doing much better than when we were self employed.

I joined Facebook last year with great enthusiasm but lately have tapered off that also. Maybe just to busy.

Always looking for that next great opportunity.

Ed

PS: I remember times when new posts would fill an entire page.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

January 31, 2014, 08:24:29 pm #20 Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:52:56 am by sofadoc
Quote from: kodydog on January 31, 2014, 06:50:43 pm
Most of my latest questions deal with being an employee rather than an employer. Some times I can't help but feel like I'm coming off as whiny when I talk about the odd situations that come up while working for someone else.
You're one of the few on this forum that can speak from the perspective of both employee, and self-employed. I actually enjoy your posts about your workplace. I don't think they come off whiny at all. It sounds like one big dysfunctional family (just like every workplace).

I pretty much assumed that your schedule was the reason why you aren't on here as much.

Remember when guys like Gregg from Keystone, and Andrew from DLT posted on a daily basis?  

It's the last day of January 2014, and we're down about 300 posts from Jan 2013. The downward trend continues. Total page views down 66%.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

February 02, 2014, 07:06:41 am #21 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:07:58 am by gene
http://www.google.com/imgres?biw=1366&bih=636&tbm=isch&tbnid=BaWgHHGti0teXM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shutterstock.com%2Fsimilar-61699147%2Fstock-vector-cartoon-angry-man-isolated-on-white-background.html&docid=yDNBfqjYzsLuVM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fthumb7.shutterstock.com%2Fdisplay_pic_with_logo%2F1277392%2F152657459%2Fstock-vector-businessman-cartoon-boss-man-angry-at-sales-or-profit-chart-going-down-152657459.jpg&w=450&h=300&ei=WF7uUvivFojzqwHZk4GoDw&zoom=1&ved=0CIgCEIQcMDo&iact=rc&dur=1432&page=4&start=58&ndsp=24

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

The trend continues. New posts for Feb '14 are down 20% from Feb '13.

Total page views are down nearly 75%.

I hate to see forums like this one dry up.

Mike

I learned something last week I was doing 2 very tricky seam sequence to sew had to sew these pieces first then that in a special order you no?. ive been here many time but this time I remember to write down the order that I took the old skin pieces apart patterning and sewed the seams in the reverse , made life a lot eeasier m I don't know why it took so long for something so simple

Mojo

I don't think it will ever dry up but will continue to be less busy as in the past.

Chris

gene

QuoteThe trend continues.
At least we're being consistent.

Furniture reupholstery has/is going the way of the buggy whip.

Only a few things are DIY: dining room slip seats, simple ottomans, etc.

No new workers are coming into the trade. Not enough business, the work is too hard, the learning curve is too long. The only plus is that the startup costs are low.

Old people who own quality furniture and would choose to reupholster are dying off - helping to kill the trade. Pun intended.

I was talking to an old timer upholsterer Friday and he said if an upholsterer could get a restaurant chain or a hotel chain that could help them stay in business. He was saying a furniture upholsterer would need this to stay in business. He's seen a lot of folks go out of business and those still in are not staying busy.

I wonder if this forum helps Ken sell products? I would hope so.

gene

kodydog

I'm wondering if the down turn has something to do with the down turn in the economy. Less people in the trade like Gene suggested. A lot of shops have had a hard time surviving these last 6 or 7 years, including myself.

I see from other posts everyone on this forum seems now to be pretty busy, including myself. This may be from picking up customers the other shops left behind when they closed their doors or maybe the economy is slowly turning around. Its doing pretty good in Florida. Jo-Ann Fabrics just opened a huge store in Gainesville. They must be expecting big things.

I'm thinking as more people get back into the business we'll be hearing from them.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on March 02, 2014, 06:55:45 am
I'm wondering if the down turn has something to do with the down turn in the economy. Less people in the trade like Gene suggested. A lot of shops have had a hard time surviving these last 6 or 7 years, including myself.
I've often wondered how I would fare in a highly competitive area (probably not too well).

Quote from: kodydog on March 02, 2014, 06:55:45 am
I see from other posts everyone on this forum seems now to be pretty busy, including myself. This may be from picking up customers the other shops left behind when they closed their doors
That has been MY experience around here. As other shops go "belly up".......more for me. But if just ONE new shop opened up down the street and took away half my business, we would probably both go broke within a year. There's more than enough for one.....but there ain't enough for two.

I've said this before, but a supply salesman always tell me "In every small town, when the upholsterer dies......nobody takes his place".

This topic ties in with the other thread about trying to find a good sewing machine mechanic. There are fewer of them because there are fewer professional stitchers. That's why most SM repairmen only fix domestic machines and vacuum cleaners.

But I still think that the downturn in activity on this forum has more to do with other forms of social media taking a bite out of the old fashioned discussion boards.

gene

March 04, 2014, 06:15:18 am #28 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:32:44 am by gene
I think another problem is that it is getting more and more difficult to own your own business, and the benefits are getting less and less.

The news media is doing a good job of not reporting on all the businesses that are reducing the number of employees to a number that will not require them to provide obamacare.

The IRS and obamacare have a 5 page document that defines what a full time employee is for obamacare. As a small business owner you either take the time to read it or pay someone else to read it for you. And yet another cost...

I'm hearing more commercials for "IF YOU OWE THE IRS MORE THAN $10,000..." I think these are mostly small business owners who either did not know all the rules and laws and regulations, or knew them and tried to get away with not following them to put a few extra bucks in their pockets.

The fed uses the IRS for 2 purposes: to collect money to pay for the government, and to control unwanted behavior by taxing it more. As we move into being a  s o c i a l i s t  society where the government provides more and more of our needs, small businesses are not wanted by the government.

(Anybody think that joining the Tea Party will NOT increase your chances of being audited?)

24 million additional pieces of paper are expected to be added to the 2013 federal tax returns just for the changes to 1099s.

gene

PS: Let's have lunch and discuss merging our businesses and then deduct 1/2 the cost of the meal. And don't forget that when you give me tickets to Hawaii for helping you make so much money, you can only deduct $25 of the cost of those tickets.