Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 05:02:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Welting cord !

Started by Grebo, December 28, 2016, 02:26:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Why do they put a hole in the middle of the packaging box if you aren't supposed to use it  >:(
I just started a 75m run of welting when I realised the cord was all curling up behind me. Cut it off & opened the box, then spend the rest of my life untangling 100m of cord. Yes if I had another box that would have gone flying into the dark recesses of the shop, but I didn't.

Grrr won't be doing that again. 

Suzi

SteveA

Last week I was running a new circuit with the help of a friend who is an electrician.  I bought 100 feet of 12 wire and thought I'd spread it out along the route while he was installing the box.  I was struggling - the wire was coiling and he grabbed the end while laughing at me  and held it like a bit + brace - after a few seconds the wire was straight and relaxed.  I know the feeling you had - maybe there is a trick someone knows for welt cord ?
SA

Grebo

I am so sure that I have used other items straight out of the box like this.
Of course my OH said, oh no you never do that.   ::)

Suzi

Joys Shop

Cord is not supposed to be pulled from the middle.  It will curl.  It is, also, not supposed to pulled from the top while it is laying on its side. 
It is supposed roll off, like a spool of thread.   
It's hard to explain. 
The roll could be put on a dowel, and it will spin while it unrolls.   otherwise, it curls

Mike

I always put mine on a rod and the pack rolls off as needed,
need a video to understand

MinUph

What about the large boxed welt cord? We use spools at the shop because I could never get the boxed cord to work right. It cant unroll like the spools. As far as I know. Anyone use the boxed tissue cord and have good luck with it?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Joys Shop

I'll try to explain using the analogy of thread
Thread comes 2 ways.  One is wrapped in parallel rows
the other is in a cross hatch pattern

The cross hatch pattern (such as upholstery thread) has to be pulled up over the top of the spool---no spinning of spool

the thread with parallel rows (like many home sewing threads, and ALL used to be), has to be pulled from a spinning spool

the welt cord is like the home sewing thread

Have you tried to pull webbing up while the roll is lying flat on the floor?
It will twist
You have to have it upright (preferably on a dowel, or some such thing) and pull it out so the roll spins
No twisting
that is like what you get with the welt cord.  Again, it has to spin as you pull

gene

Thank you Joy for that explanation. I did not know that about the two types of thread.

I saw a video where a guy was going to put jute webbing across the bottom of a sofa frame. He put the jute webbing roll on the floor and pulled the center end out and began to use the jute webbing from the center of the roll. I've been doing it that same way. It gets tangled but at least it is a controlled tangle. And having it on a frame that would allow you to unroll it would certainly be easier. I've just never bothered to do that.

JoAnn Fabrics has their welt cord in a box with a hole in the front. I've only bought it occasionally when I was out or needed a special size. It seems to pull out of the hole in the box OK.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on December 28, 2016, 06:19:31 pm
What about the large boxed welt cord? We use spools at the shop because I could never get the boxed cord to work right. It cant unroll like the spools. As far as I know. Anyone use the boxed tissue cord and have good luck with it?
I used the boxed welt for a while. But eventually went back to the spools. The boxed welt had too many kinks in it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Yea pretty problematic for me also. Some people like it. Oh well.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on December 29, 2016, 04:03:04 pm
Yea pretty problematic for me also. Some people like it. Oh well.
You save a little per yard buying the 2000 yd box instead of four 500 yd spools. But the savings isn't significant enough to put up with the kinks and tangles.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Grebo

Quote from: sofadoc on December 29, 2016, 03:48:30 pm
Quote from: MinUph on December 28, 2016, 06:19:31 pm
I used the boxed welt for a while. But eventually went back to the spools. The boxed welt had too many kinks in it.

Well if I get the choice I wont get the boxed again.. once it was untangled I put it on a spool, works fine now.