Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 04:35:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Slipcover zippers

Started by bobbin, January 27, 2011, 02:57:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I've been hard at work on mastering slipcovers, tweaking my fitting skills and production techniques.  Thusfar, I've used plastic toothed chain (#5) and plastic sliders.  But I don't like the bulky plastic sliders.  Do any of you use brass zipper chain and brass sliders? what are you using and why/why not are you using it?

florida girl

Brass is much more substantial for upholstery, I use it. 

MinUph

I used brass then moved to aluminum for years. Now I have turned to like the plastic better. The slides I get are not that big. #5 seems about right and they are nice and strong.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

For slips and general furniture requirements, exceptions for anything, but #4 is my size of choice.  Brass zipper material and of course slides aren't as available as longer ago and the preferred but plastic and aluminum work fine for me.  From casual analysis, it seems the #4 is the size preferred by manufacturing of the same products I am refering to.  But, the #5 is definitely my choice when the material and application require something a bit stronger.

Doyle

florida girl

I live in an area of high humidity and aluminum corodes.  Brass is much more durable.

bobbin

Like you, Fl. Girl, I live in a humid maritime climate and corrosion is an issue for me, too.  That's why I have used plastic, but I like the lower profile of the metal sliders.  I suspect brass chain is going to be more expensive but I'm OK with that if the result is what I want. 

Anyone using coil zipper?