Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 27, 2024, 07:34:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

leather to fabric question

Started by gene, May 20, 2016, 06:24:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

May 20, 2016, 06:24:14 pm Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:29:32 pm by gene
I have a leather sofa like this one. The back cushions are attached. 3 pieces of leather on the back inside cushions are sewn together with a cord sew in the creases between the cushions to hold it down. The leather was pulled and tugged to get it to look like 3 separate back cushions.

http://www.betterimprovement.com/molina-leather-sofa/

This sofa is a sectional - it comes apart in pieces. The back is one piece that bolts onto the deck.

I am taking off the leather and putting on a fabric. The fabric has a 2" stripe. If I do the inside back the same way, the spaces between the cushions will not line up perfectly with the stripes on the seat cushions and front of sofa.

My thought is to take 3 pieces and sew them together with welt cord between the pieces. This will go on the back flat. I will fill in the area where the foam was cut to make the 3 separate cushions and make the inside back one big piece of foam. The inside back will be one large cushion with the welt cord running up from where the seat cushions come together.

It would look like this sofa.

http://www.jhconklin.net/projects-and-pricing/2015/10/4/sofa-upholstery-cost-woodstown-nj  (scroll down just a bit)

The fabric is a very formal looking fabric.

Is this the best way to go, or should I do it the same way as the leather and have the stripes off somewhat on the inside back? If the fabric was solid or a pattern I would do it as the leather was done. Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you for your thoughts.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

I would do it back the same way and just match the centers of each seat and back section. Making it like the camel back would cheapen the look of this sofa.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Are some furniture styles better suited to solid colors ?  I guess the customer understands the pattern can be altered slightly

SA

gene

The attached back cushions are not as boxed as the ones in the picture I posted.

I piece of foam was stapled to the back frame, shaped at the top and bottom, then sliced into 3 pieces.

Where the leather was pulled down into the creases between the 3 pieces it's all brown leather, so even though the "sides" of the back cushions are visible it doesn't matter because it's all brown.

With this 2" striped fabric the "sides" are visible and it doesn't look very good.

I played with it again for a few hours today and still don't have it right.

I agree with you Paul that using welt cord and eliminating the look of separate cushions is not the best way to go.

I will endeavor to persevere.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

Can you match the colour of one of the stripes in a solid pattern? You could do the 'sides' of the cushions in it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!