Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:03:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing Machine Lamp ??

Started by Bob T, May 15, 2012, 11:50:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob T

For years, I've been using one of those Luxo two lamp architect style lamps for a sewing machine lamp. Really hated the thing because it didn't stay where I would put it.  The cheap-az chinese switch broke, unrepairable.  So now, I'm trying to find a good replacement lamp.  I'd like to find one of those long arm flexible "gooseneck" style lamps but I can't seem to find one.  Any help, recommendations or suggestions would be welcome.

sofadoc

Gregg has a nice selection of lamps. Here's one:
http://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/7fb3b40d1f3d476492d517fe4a72f97d

He has other styles here:
http://store.keysew.com/parts/sewing-parts/sewinglamps

The great thing about the new spiral shaped bulbs, is that you can use a 100 watt equivalent without generating so much heat. It doesn't burn up the socket/switch.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scottymc

Gregg if you read this, I see some of the led lights are 110/220 volts, do you reckon they would work in AUS. WITH 240 VOLTS? I haven't seen any lights that fit on the machine like those over here.

Bob T

I've got a call into Greg (he's got jury duty) to find out more on the LED 50 Lamp.  I think that is going to work.  Will post results here.

Mojo

I will warn you that the majority of the goose neck lamps sold on E-Bay are actually short. I made the mistake of buying one for my Juki and am PO'ed at myself for not measuring.

The one on my Chandler will wrap around the side of the arm and give me good light at the foot. I use a screw in "daytime" fluorescent bulb and it gives me good light. The light on the Juki is hopeless. I need to contact Bob and order a long one.

My shop is filled with good overhead lighting because I knew when I built my shop I was going to need as much light as possible.

Chris

Mojo

Scotty:

I do not think the 120 conversion to your 240 will work. My mother in law took a lighted decoration back with her and she used an adapter for the plug. it blew the bulb. We now have that decoration at our house. :)

The 240 volt electric you guys use makes it very hard for 120 appliances to be converted. But to be honest, your 240 is much more efficient then our 120.

For those of you who do not know, Australia has no 120 electric service in their homes. Everything from refrigerators to light bulbs runs on 240. It is a smart and economical way of using electricity.
I believe you guys are also on 50 MHZ cycles as well where ours is 60 mhz.

Bloody Aussies always have to be different............. ;D    8)

Chris

scottymc

yeah , I thought so , I just thought it might work as it said 110/220

Mojo

It may work Scotty. Not sure. If it says dual voltage 110/220 then it probably would work.

Chris

Mike

Geese plugging in you arc welder would be easy.  Youd think with a 240 volt lamp there be a lot of good shocks. 110 is enoughg jolt for me

Mojo

Mike:

I have taken hits from 120 and 240 and I much prefer 240. yes it bites harder but it knock you on your ass. 120 grabs you and wont let go if the conditions are right. I have never been scared of working on 240 but 120 I have a lot of respect for.

What really hurts is 50,000 volts from one of the newer spark plug wires on a car. Another nasty one is DC control voltage. I got zapped by 24 V DC once and my arm was numb all day. Dang did that hurt.

Always remember voltage hurts - It is the amps that will kill you. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

I'm with Chris; get the longest one you can. I also really dislike "c" clamps.My machine has a long goose neck bolted through the table behind the head and plugged into my motor so the light comes on as soon as I power up the machine.Neither of Fat Bipolar's machines had lamps so I'm "getting by"  with a pair of clamp on office lamps that I have to have on the front corner to get any light on the needle. PITA !!!!!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!