Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 01:54:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Reinstalling- furniture legs are becoming normal work!

Started by baileyuph, March 17, 2018, 01:27:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I can't get anything done for fixing the new foreign made furniture(legs or shipping damage)l
Today, yes on Saturday, I went mobile and fixed three new sofa pieces of furniture - just delivered.
The jobs were usually a leg installation could not be accomplished.

The type of work that requires removing local upholstery to get inside where the leg retainer is -or was,
because it isn't there anymore.  Man! trying to install replacements in those areas is tough - hardly any
room a the finished upholstery stage.

Not sure what is causing it but seeing a significant amount of this!  Usually, it is quicker to take the tool
box on sight and fix it than picking up the piece.

This, pet damage, and human damage is changing the reupholstery business!

To take off and do it on site isn't cheap either! - the leg issues is the main point. 

This business is really changing!

Why all these leg problems???

I suppose others are experiencing this?

Doyle

Darren Henry

"Not sure what is causing it but ---"

Delivery drivers. most furniture is shipped with the legs inside the dust cover ( that's what the zipper is for) and the retailer has some minimum wage kid with a strong back and weak mind assemble and deliver the piece. If you ever saw some of these guys in action you would wonder how any furniture actually makes into the living room.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on March 18, 2018, 07:28:13 am
"Not sure what is causing it but ---"

Delivery drivers. most furniture is shipped with the legs inside the dust cover ( that's what the zipper is for) and the retailer has some minimum wage kid with a strong back and weak mind assemble and deliver the piece. If you ever saw some of these guys in action you would wonder how any furniture actually makes into the living room.
I see that a lot here. Sometimes it's the knucklehead delivery guy, or it may be the customer that bought it "cash & carry". Either way, there's a good chance that the legs were half-ass screwed on.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

Before I began my work in upholstery, I bought 2 barstools from a 'big box'. When they finally came in, they were so rickety, they were promptly returned.

I am not sure what devices the manufacturers use to keep their assemblies square. But as mentioned, even if they are square at the factory, they certainly are not square by the time they reach the consumer.

baileyuph

I hear you 65 on the bar stools.

A lot of the sofa/chairs leave the factory and arrive to the retailer to get the small legs installed.

Then, depending on the customer's home, the legs are likely removed to get the furniture in doors, to
also negotiate stairs.  That is a job not for me!  This new furniture is heavy and big!

Anyway, service shops like us do get calls - "come fix legs".

Doyle