Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 03:27:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What filler are being used for decorator pillows?

Started by baileyuph, December 24, 2017, 06:57:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I ask because things change - pillow fillers that is;  On new furniture it has been noticed that
factory pillows are very firm, filled out and look nice.  That observation with the current requirement to
make about half dozen got me to wondering about the filler material being used today?

Over the years sometimes the forms were purchased, sometimes the filler was made using foam wrapped in dacron.

On these to do, I prefer to make the filler, therefore the filler to use is the question?

I suspect there is a better filler that will deliver the factory effect, stated above.

My thinking is there are many of you who make many cushions today.

Doyle

kodydog

Rose found a neat trick to acquire feather forms at a discount price. Whenever she is at Bealls, Target, TJ Maxx, or the like she checks their sales or closeouts in the pillow rack. These stores and others have sales often. She finds pillows with the feather insert for 1/2 the price of forms offered by our supplier. She takes the fabric off, replaces it with our customers fabric and sells it at full price. Our customers love feather toss pillows.

We also buy large boxes full of inserts from our supplier. Dacron and feather. We stock 17", 19" and 21". We also buy large bags of loose fill dacron to make our own forms for those odd shaped pillows.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

I find people are still leaning towards poly fill as the cost is cheap. Down pillows I find personally to be heavy. If the pillow is mainly for looks poly is fine. If your going to lay your head on it down cant be beat.
  Also I have always liked my own blend of shredded foam and kapok. But both fillers have become either hard to find or expensive. I have also stated to like the look and feel of a small amount of Dacron added with the down blends. It seems to add a nice quality to the blend. It doesn't seem to need as much fluffing up as standard down. It kind of holds the down in suspension. In a 22" or smaller pillow I would say a 1/2 to 3/4 of a handful would be plenty.
  There are also so many types of Dacron now it depends on what type you get as to how is works. I got a couple of cushions that needed to be replaced with foam cores and they were Dacron filled but with a type I have not seen b4. Very chunky and did not mat together at all. I wish I could find that in bulk.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

My COM customers usually furnish their own pillow forms as well as fabric. They buy them at the same store where they get their material.

For all others, I buy blown fiber in 25 lb bags from Ronco.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Excellent input from all, looking/analyzing the newer furniture I sensed the ingredients had evolved
to what all of you are talking about.  Now, this adds excitement to doing the next round of decorator
cushions.

Thanks and M.X. All,
Doyle