Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 08:23:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Leather or Vinyl?

Started by baileyuph, July 02, 2012, 06:21:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

July 02, 2012, 06:21:08 am Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:22:20 am by DB
Without getting into numerous "depends", generally which holds up better in furniture seating and auto seating, leather or vinyl?

In business, we do considerable repairs on automotive seating and sometimes vinyl is substituted for original leather materials.  Generally, this is less expensive for the customer and both can hold up well given quality materials.  

The theoretical question which is actually the strongest or will last the longest?

Both will dry and become stiff over time, but given good care will they both last equally?

Good leather is better than cheap leather and so is vinyl.  

This question stirs in my mind frequently.  As a note, Mercedes in recent and current production has gone to a nice and high quality vinyl, which I really like the looks and feel of.  Mine has seats like this and while the car is relatively new, at this point my vote is - will not dry and get hard as quickly as leather?

Are there any cut and dried answers or is it simply a "depends" situation on the quality of both and the vinyl?

In defense of he leather, I have read there is a significant difference in leather quality if none of the essential steps have been cut to off set cost.

Doyle

kodydog

Doyle I speak from experience only. I have often striped perfectly good leather from 50 year old furniture. Seldom if ever with vinyl. This is not cut and dried just one old, tired upholsterers insight.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Rich

Doyle, I think that with proper care, a good leather will outlast a good vinyl, but in most cases, proper care is not given, so the advantages of leather are not so apparent. Leather tends to get creases in the surface, vinyl usually doesn't, it just starts to crack at the stress points. The vinyl Mercedes has used for many years is called MB Tex and is an excellent vinyl.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

bobbin

My opinion and with the marine twist:

I cast my vote for vinyl.  I redid a salon interior for a very nice Island Packet some time ago.  The seat cushions had knee rolls with interior zippers and the seat backs were stapled with draw strips for the rolled detail at the top of them.  The customer insisted on leather and the goods were just beautiful (clearly high end stuff).  But I've worked in this trade for a pretty long time now and top notch vinyls are a dead ringer for leather.  And, to be fair, the prices are commensurate. 

Vinyl is produced on uniform rolls and waste is minimized when working in multiples of uniformly sized pieces (typical in salons).  Vinyls are treated for mildew resistance and they are a breeze to clean, very resistant to the litany of stains that plague yacht interiors. 

gene

Vinyl can be stretched easier. Sometimes that's a nice advantage.

When working with leather I have to think about the animal that died to give up the hide. When I work with vinyl I can think of any dead animal that I want to.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Most of those animals died to make McBurgers.   The hide is a salvageable by-product.

(not a political statement, just a fact)

Quote from: gene on July 12, 2012, 04:30:32 pm

When working with leather I have to think about the animal that died to give up the hide.
gene
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on July 12, 2012, 07:28:53 pm
Most of those animals died to make McBurgers.   The hide is a salvageable by-product.
I'd have to agree (except for the "Mc" part. I'm not sure that they actually use any beef).
Take the average 50 sq. ft. hide at $6 per sq.ft.. That's $300. How much of that amount went to the slaughterhouse? Then the tannery? All the truckers and distributers that moved everything around? And finally the retailer (or wholesaler for those of you that still live in a fantasy world, and believe that wholesale still exists)?

The revenue generated (by the cow's owner) from the hide of a cow is miniscule compared to the food portion.

BTW My vote is for vinyl. I have yet to see any leather that lives up to it's price.
Leather is like diamonds. It's a status thing.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Using that salvageable by-product, the hide, to upholster furniture gives me money to buy more McBurgers. Kool!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!