Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 07:27:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

making Kenmore do what it can't,hot rod seats

Started by Hell Bat, June 25, 2011, 09:41:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hell Bat

June 25, 2011, 09:41:30 pm Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:02:35 am by Hell Bat
Home made hot rod upholstery is the prodject; Low $ no $ ,yes I have little idea of what I'm doing,I build all types of cars,but tell now did not try sewing :o
Looking for a trick other then paying $ I don't have for walking foot type machine,I read all the stuff for the most part.
The big prob I have is the yardsale $5 Kenmore 1972,158-14401 really dose sew great tell the feet don't move all the junk I'm trying to sew=it dose sew it fine when its all moving well ,and as soon as it don't move on time NOT CITY and jam.
Ok,I'm sewing heat sealed rolled/ pleating and two layers of vinyl,but the backing on the pleating is to soft for the slipper dogs to grab right and move as they do if only sewing two up 4 vinyl together vinyl.
So reading alot of stuff,and note about tape Buckram?,could this stuff give feet something to grab?or something like it??give some grab to back of sewing,glued on or? .
Here's the part I fine a bit funny,if I sew it all up side down it sews great[vinly top show side down] ,but I can't see were I'm sew that way or hold layers in the right places. The dogs grab show side of vinyl good it seems.
128 thread i'm using is too big?but works on a lot of test?,i'm going get some 92 or 69 and try that,report back later.
[new]I do have a Kenmore walking foot adtachmint now also to play with,was only $11 so in my small piggy bank jar,we'll see.
Thanks
Dana,AKA"Hell Bat
Miami Fl

JuneC

1) Put your post in the general discussion section (not in Green Room) for more people to answer

2) Go to your kitchen and grab some "Freezer Paper".  If you don't have any, go to Publix and get a roll in the aisle with the tin foil and plastic wrap.  It's white paper with wax (plastic??) on one side and regular paper texture on the other.  It's the stuff butchers wrap your meat in if you go to a meat market.  The "paper" side might be rough enough for your feed dogs to grab. Sew right through it and rip it off after the seam is done.  If it doesn't work, then you have paper to wrap your meat in  ;D  I find Freezer Paper makes really good templates as well for small pieces.  Really stable stuff.  Doesn't stretch and the waxed side makes it more durable than most paper. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Hell Bat

Thanks for tips,I'll post as you said. ;D 8)