Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 01:31:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting Speeds of Bits and Blades?

Started by baileyuph, March 15, 2011, 06:36:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Upholstery is a sewing business indeed, however often there are other materials that must be cut or drilled.  That is our experience.

The general question:  When cutting or drilling denser materials should the speed of cutting bits or blades be increased or decreased?

Sawing and drilling of different types of medium frequently comes up in the business and while drilling with the forstner bits recently, I became concerned about the right thing to do not to abuse the bit? 

Sawing/drilling plywood doesn't elevate this concern, it is the furniture hadwoods, particularly the oaks, that gets my attention the most. 

Any general rule of thumb ideas?  If anyone can talk to any  type bit, forstner, blade, brad point, or spear point, it could help.  Some of our cutting equipment can be run at different speeds giving the option of going up or down on speeds.  Should the wood vary with wood density? 

People are getting bigger/heavier and wood repairs come up rather frequently.  Many have just bought the new stuff and it breaks also.  Therefore, get throw away stuff isn't the answer, sometimes makes it worse.

I have checked a number of books on this, for some reason didn't get my answer.

Doyle

Saddleman

Doyle as a rule of thumb the harder the material the slower the speed and feed rate.  A good primer on the subject.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speeds_and_feeds

Loren

baileyuph

Great input Loren, that is what I was looking for and the primer satisfies the theoretical support.

Most of my cutting stations have more than one speed, now with this understanding, the equipment can be used more efficiently.  Plus, hopefully the cutting hardware will last longer.

Thanks a bunch,
Doyle

Mike8560

in marine work your going to need to drill stainless steele. use a cobatl bit at a slow speed so if dosent get as hot.