Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 02:12:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

air compressor

Started by jhaynes4494, March 09, 2011, 06:13:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jhaynes4494

I'm just getting started in the business and I love it!  My question is... for a beginner, what size air compressor should I purchase?  My goal is to use the air stapler gun.  What should the PSI ?

mike802

Choose your gun first, it should have the specs listed as how much air flow it requires and also what air pressure the manufacture suggest.  You should be able to adjust the psi with a dial and a valve if the air compressor does not have one built it.  Once you know what the gun requires you can match the compressor to the gun.  You shouldn't need anything more than a small contractors compressor, but be forewarned they can be loud, so quiet operation should also be a consideration.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

MinUph

Speaking of noise. The compressors that do require oil are much quieter than the oil-less models.
  As for size a 1 HP model will service you well. Most staplers will run at around 80 -90 PSI in hardwood. You will find other uses for air so get one a bit larger than a stapler needs. CFM is the most important spec.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

Staplers can run on a very small compressor.   Some of the questions to ask yourself:

- Do I need this to be portable?
- Do I have access to 240v?   A dedicated 120 circuit?  Or shared 120v?
- Will I want to use it for anything else (spraying finish, sanding, pneumatic chisels, pneumatic wrenches, pneumatic cut-off tools?)
- How important is quiet?
- How much money do you have?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

What kind of upholstering are you going to be doing? If it's just a lot of plywood stuff, many on this forum have been happy with the cheap staplers from places like Harbor Freight.
If you're going to be upholstering furniture frames, I would suggest that you go ahead and spend a little extra on a nice stapler (such as a BEA).
I agree with Paul about air compressors. The older belt-driven ones were a lot quieter. If possible, put the air compressor in a back store room, and run a long hose to your work area.
If you get one with enough volume (SCFM), then you can also use it for those other tools that "hammer" mentioned.
I'm still using a Sears 1HP 25 gallon belt-driven air compressor that I bought 30 years ago. Parts like the cut-off switch, and pressure regulator are still available.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I use a Cable Porter pancake compressor. They will put out up to 150 psi if need be. I have run everything from large 16 d framing nailers to staple guns on mine.

If you plan on using a stapler only occasionally then I suggest picking up a $ 19.95 Harbor Freight 1/2 inch crown stapler. If your going to be using the stapler a great deal then a high quality stapler maybe the better choice. I have the Harbor Freight special because I do not use it that often.

Chris