Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 12:35:23 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Where do you get your vinyl? Where do you get your leather?

Started by Exotic Leather, February 16, 2011, 10:51:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Exotic Leather

I have two basic questions..

Where do you get your upholstery vinyl? 

Where do you get your upholstery leather?

Thanks!

Ihavenoname

February 20, 2011, 08:36:36 am #1 Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:21:06 am by OneBoneHead
I was getting it from http://www.exoticleatherco.com/ and http://www.nuvtex.com/index.html. Now I just go to Joann Fabrics.

At Joann Fabrics on sale you can get a commercial vinyl for about $7.00 a yard when you have a "Coupon." Who can beat that? I don't know. When the average upholstery shop sells a commercial vinyl for $45 per yard have a look at Joann Fabrics. Great prices.

Exotic Leather

While I'm sure you can get vinyl from Joann Fabrics for $7.00 per yd, I'm sure that something can be said for quality and getting what you pay for.  Most of the www.nuvtex.com vinyl is about half of that $47 you are talking about for those other online guys!

tudorford

I buy all my vinyl from National fabric co. out of Kansas City.  They handle enduratex, Bolta and some others.  I've always had very good luck with the quality and the prices are reasonable.  If you buy more than 5 yards at a time  most is under $10 a yard.  sometimes they send out flyers with close outs with $5/yard fabrics and vinyls.  Phone number 1-800-821-7542.

good luck
Steve
Always remember:  Where ever you go,  there you are.

SteveMoke

Here's a couple I use in the UK so you can see the sort of stuff we have available. Prices on the site's are retail, trade prices tend to be about -25%

www.martrim.co.uk ......  www.segalmotortrimmings.net

Mike8560

Quote from: Exotic Leather on February 21, 2011, 11:19:29 pm
While I'm sure you can get vinyl from Joann Fabrics for $7.00 per yd, I'm sure that something can be said for quality and getting what you pay for.

right. I mostly
buy seabrook from miami Corp I wont say the wholesale cost here though

MinUph

Mike,
  Is Seabrook nice and soft and supple? I've read here that others use it also. I'm looking for a decent vinyl for marine use. Strong, long lasting soft. Nice stuff ya know. I don't allot of marine but when I'd like to use good stuff.
  Thanks
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

its all i use paul nice and easy to work with. not stiff like some of the stuff ive seen. you could call it soft and suple

Ihavenoname

The vinyl from Joann Fabric doesn't not have to be junk.

Think about it.

They buy in bulk for 5,000 stores so they by from the mill by the truckloads.
So they are getting the best pricing anyone can get.

I've seen commercial grade vinyl for $15 or $20 a yard. Plus if you have a coupon you cut it down to $7.50 to $10 a yard.

I realize they sell junk as well but if you know how to buy, you can't beat their prices.

They have a Spalding vinyl that is rated the same as a Spirit Naugahyde that you can get for $7.50 a yard if you shop right. I have a supplier that will sell me the same thing for about $22.00 a yard and that's wholesale.

Also Joann Fabrics sells a lot of fabric via sample books that one would find in an upholstery shop. Joann sells them for the same price I have them at,  but they have a 50% off coupon every other week that allows their customer to get fabric and vinyl for less then I can buy if from my suppliers.

It's not that Joann Fabrics and others like them are entering the upholstery fabric business, they are already there. 

Plus are there any US fabric mills any more? I think they are all in China and India now. The war is over. We lost.

Mojo

I have been caught before where I needed vinyl ASAP and ran to Joanns and bought Nautolex for $ 7 a yard using a 50 % off coupon. I have some of this vinyl on customer projects that have been out there for 3 years and it still looks great with no sign of degradation.

If vinyl can withstand the intense UV rays in Florida it can withstand the sun anywhere. The UV rays down here are extremely intense and will destroy a cheap fabric in 6 months to a year. I have seen new boat covers completely rip apart in 5 months time.

In regards to leather. I do not buy much but when I do I typically buy from a supplier on E-Bay. I have had great luck with my purchases through him and have gotten some nice leather at a decent cost.

The vast majority of my fabric purchases are now through Miami Mike. I can reach him by phone or e-mail and his response is lightening fast.  I appreciate that type of supplier as I do not have the time to chase someone down. His wholesale prices are very competitive and many times hard to beat. Shipping is reasonable and extremely fast through Miami as well.

Chris