Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 09:36:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

State Fair Question

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, September 01, 2014, 12:15:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

And you stand in line for over 30 minutes just for the privilege of paying over twice too much for your 100+ grams of fat. Then you stand in a huddle to eat it  (while battling flies) because there isn't any pace to sit. And you end up throwing half of the ooey-gooey mess in the trash because there isn't an available napkin within 3 miles of the fairgrounds.

You guys may have guessed by now that I'm just not a fair person. Or any other place where I'm herded like cattle.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

I'm not a big crowd person either.  I try to schedule my shifts on the slower days.  I hate it when there is a steady stream of people in the aisles.  Too much humanity for me.  When I left Sunday at 1, it was packed.  I was trying to leave and it seemed like the entire state of Nebraska was trying to get in the fair.  Felt like I needed boxing gloves so that I could punch a hole in the crowd and leave. 

Over until next year.

byhammerandhand

My favorite is  to by-pass all the deep fried stuff of the year (twinkies, candy, stick of butter, hot dog, etc.) and go to the Dairy Farmer's building.   You can get a "double scoop" of ice cream for  about $3.   It's really about six scoops and well over a pint.   If I'm really hungry, hot or had a lousy lunch, I'll step up one notch to the "monster bowl" that's about 50% bigger.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Virgs Sew n Sew

United Way does a fundraiser at our State Fair.  You get a huge dip of ice cream for $2.00.  Ice cream, etc has been donated by Baskin Robbins.  I hit the Ice Cream Parlor before my 1-5 shift opening day and after my 9-1 shift last Sunday.  Successfully got a dish all the way home for my hubby which wasn't easy as it was in the lower 90's.  I had about a 10 minute walk to my car, 5 minutes to get out of the parking lot and then 10 minutes to our house.  Bob said he had one drink of ice cream and the rest was fine, a little soggy but not bad.

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteAnd you stand in line for over 30 minutes just for---

I dislike crowds as well, but some things are worth it to me. One of them is the thresher man's reunion [google manitoba agricultural museum in Austin Manitoba]20 miles south of where I grew up and an hour east of here. As large  as it is you don't usually feel herded like most places. I put some temp. insurance on the motorhome and we went this year. Good trip, except for Saturday night at the rodeo. After we got good seats under the roof of the grandstand (cool and rain forecast) I slipped out and got us 2X burger,chips&coffee for under $20 in very good time considering how many of us showed up at the trough at the same time. the rain came with enough wind to drive it straight under the roof of the grandstand so by the time the mutton busting started I was soggy and cold enough that I was shacking like a dog passing bucksaws, so went to grab us some coffee. I avoided the concession that was serving hot food and spent twenty + minutes in the lemonade etc... line to find out they were out of coffee. Fifteen minutes later, fearing aliens had abducted me and she'd have to drive the honey wagon home with no license, Winnie came looking for me and found me 3-4 places short of the head gate in the other line up. There were over ten pairs in the team roping that was just starting. We headed back the camper for towels/tea/whiskey for me and some games of crib.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!