Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 07:04:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mojo - Next logical expansion?

Started by baileyuph, July 06, 2013, 06:22:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Well, congrats on your new double needle, now what next, another building?  Or will it mean bigger space to work the new equipment?  I remember when I had only one machine, now several and all required a bigger business. 

Since I bring equipment and expansion up, do you have a use for a long arm?  I probably don't know the size of the awnings you fabricate, but don't some of those get to be a challenge for a standard throught machine? 

That's it!  A long arm double needle.  Bob Kovar have any of those?  When I started, years ago, one of the functions we performed was repairs on trailer truck tarps which required a long arm.  It was a single needle and I don't think even had a reverse.  Those tarps were so big and heavy, the building had a hole cut out in the floor to acccommodate the machine which put the machine bed level with the floor, think about it.....A perfect sewing table.  It was large enough anyway.  There was good money in repairing those tarps, even back then.

Just relating, not trying to plant any seeds.  Back to truck tarps, I note the workmanship in those seen on transports when travelling today and there is a lot of apparent work in those covers.  Materials are heavy, I bet they cost a fortune, well are expensive.

That is a specialty for sure, "Mojo and his tarp shop"!  LOL.

Take care and let us know how things work out with the canvas products.

Doyle

Mojo

Doyle:

I am pretty much tapped out on space. The problem we have right now is we need to dump some properties that we own in other States and then we can expand by building a shop here. Until that happens I will be maintaining a " controlled growth " state of operations.

It is very frustrating because I know I could triple my revenue/business but we cannot take much more in the front door because of space limitations. We could probably get a loan but we have had a debt free business from the start and want to keep it that way. I could probably rent space but do not want a rent payment hanging over my head and I hate putting money into other peoples pockets.

I do not advertise and I hide out from many RV associations and limit my seminars and appearances at rallys. The double needle machine did help by speeding up production and that will come into play when we get buried in orders after rallys and seminars. Anything that cuts down on production time is a winner in my book.

I did a project for my son that was similar to a truck tarp. One very large wash mat that you park a car or truck on and it contains the water. It was made from TuffStuff. That one job made me realize I want nothing to do with those heavy things. Maybe if we had a large shop with massive tables it would be different. Or I was 20 years younger. :)

I really have no use for a long arm machine. It would be cool to own one but I am able to do everything I need on the standard arms. But I would love to own a post bed machine to screw around with making craft things. I love machines of all types as I find them fascinating. :)

I have seen sewing pits before in videos and in pictures. Most were in sail making/repair places. Those pits are awesome. It was cool as heck to see a stitcher sitting under the floor sewing huge expanses of fabric that ran across the concrete.

The biggest piece of fabric I have ever sewn was 30 ft long. I have done three of those " full wall slide toppers " in the last month alone. The only thing that saved me was that they were 44 inches wide. LOL. I have sewn large awnings before and did those in the driveway with my 563 which is on a movable stand that has casters. But I do not like doing that as it takes time to setup the machine in the driveway and I have to sweep the concrete clean.

If we can sell that 5 acres in VA and the other house in TN then we can expand here and pay cash for the building. Then I can set out and start doing more seminars and rallys and have a part timer maybe to do the stitching for me while I am gone. Till then we are pretty much stuck being small. :)

Chris

baileyuph

Chris as I read, that is why you are successful, you make calculated steps.  I admire that.

All the ingredients are there for your business to want to grow.  Canvas, big like we talk can be a physical issue, however;  there are tools for that.  Like I said, having started being around bigger canvas projects, it was learned the work was another business and being that, there is equipment to do that work such as pullers that frees the operator from tugging on the heavy stuff.  Using the shop floor for a sewing table was an interesting experience, the guy I worked for had a door on each end of he building and we could just stretch those big tarps out and sew them without any fuss or muss.  One thing I remember was they were lucrative, at the time I was used as an automotive trimmer and canvas work paid about twice the rate.  I was young and just followed the demand, continued auto trim and customers from that group liked the work and persuaded me to do their furniture, that led to being a full journeyman in that sector.  There was a passion for the work, it has truly been enjoyable, and the demand has led the direction it all has taken, a very diversified path. 

Debt free is the only way to go, easy to agree to that.  That business plan and a desire to do whatever type of work, will carry one far.  Of course there will be the not so good days, it all is part of the game. 

The large tarp business, like all the rest, has really become sophisticated, I am sure the business continues to be rewarding.  Like you I have stayed relatively small and there are advantages to it all.  It is like knowing what the boundary is. 

I wasn't sure whether a long arm would do you any good.  It doesn't sound like it if your canvas work is real long but skinny.  Grin.

Keep on trucking, you are on the move. 

Doyle

Mike

speaking of debt free I was just thinking  about insurance I it have it to work in marinas , b ut most of my work is in someone's backyard and I don't realy have a need for it yet knock wood but its a pia to pay the premium when I  only was asked once this year by a marina to see it .
chris you probably don't even need to get any hey ?

Mojo

Mike:

The only time I need to get insurance is when I am doing a rally. They require vendors insurance.
That costs about $ 100 for a rally. I send in the insurance certificate with my registration papers.

Since all my work is inside the shop I no longer carry liability insurance. Doing solar screens was a different animal as I was drilling and installing on peoples coaches. There was a lot of liability with that work. Since I dropped that work I no longer carry anything but vendors insurance when I am at a rally or doing seminars.

Doyle:

I wished I would have started this business when I was in my late 20's or 30's. I could have really built this business up. But at my age I need to be cautious because of my health status and also because sooner or later I will retire again. I cannot afford to blow alot of money expanding this business. I guess you would say I need to be conservative with my endeavors. :)

Chris