Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 11:01:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dangerous Job

Started by kodydog, November 05, 2017, 04:39:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Using the foam cutter today. I set it by the edge of the table and turned around to grab some dacron. I somehow managed to step on the electrical cord which caused the foam cutter to fall off the table, blade first. The foam cutter is okay. My calf slowed its downward movement. But what saved it from total destruction is when the blade hit my heal cushioning the impact to the floor. I'll spare the photo. It really looks a lot worse than it is. Hurts like hell. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Was the saw still on? If so shame on you kody. Hope it all heals well and quickly.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

November 06, 2017, 05:05:28 am #2 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:14:57 am by kodydog
My saw turns off when you let go of the handle. The shame on me part was setting the saw so close to the edge of the table. Another lesson learned.

Last April I worked for a bus conversion company. One day the GM came out to give all the workers a pep talk. One thing she said is everyone needs to start wearing long pants for safety reasons. The warehouse type building was not air conditioned and I thought this unfair. I could understand the welder or the metal worker but the upholsterer? What could possibly go wrong in the upholstery room. Sure wish I was wearing long paints in my shop yesterday.

65Buick

Yeah the blades are sharp, especially being two of them.
I always wear dickies, boots, etc. It's always something you least expect.
Years ago I was fidgeting with a very sharp serrated camping knife. I'm lucky I still have my index finger. It did cut down to the bone.  Permanent tendon damage.

SteveA

If your talking about one of the pro models and not the portable electric knife - those blades are dangerous.  The one I purchased I hung in the ceiling.  One day I was reaching for it and took my eye off the handle and grabbed the blade - nasty cut and deep.  Now I keep pipe insulation over the blade when it's put away
SA

MinUph

Yes sharp things will get you when off guard. I have used carpenter knives most of my adult life. One day on a job I didn't have a saw so was cutting a piece of wood trim with the knife. It slipped and what a job it did on my arm I was alone and had to wrap it in a rag till I got back to the shop. All was OK but it was a bit frightening. Gotta pay attention and remember safety.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I thought those pants that you can wear when cutting wood with a chain saw were a joke. But then I saw a video of them in action.

Or that table saw that stops the blade in a fraction of a second if your finger or skin touch the spinning blade.

I have a scar on my hand where my hot iron fell off my cutting table and I instinctively tried to catch it.

KodyD: Your achilles tendon is between your calf and heal. That's where the real damage could have occurred. But then, you could always tell people your limp was from an old football injury instead of from incompetence with an electric turkey knife. (You do use your foam cutter for the turkey don't you?)

Accidents happen. Be safe out there.

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

65Buick

I don't think most of us use tablesaws, but..
My father-in-law is an avid woodworker. He is a very safe guy.
One day he was ripping a board, my wife was standing to the side.
He used his pushing stick to guide the board past the blade, and for some reason, the board got jammed and hurtled it back into his midsection.
Needless to say, he was very stunned and suffered quite a bruise.

Even when we are being the most careful we can be, things happen.
I don't know if the new saws would have prevented this; his hand was nowhere near the blade. He's lucky all that happened was some cursing.

I also admit from time to time I forget some kind of protection, but it is often regretted. I am pretty good about ear plugs since I was born with hearing loss. And safety glasses, just get like 10 of those and have them everywhere.

Mojo

One of my buddies was at my farm and hauled a load of hogs to a slaughter house for me. He went back to his dairy farm and got back to work on a tractor repair. He was using an angle grinder and laid it down on the bench with the disc still spinning. It flew off the able and hit his arm and cut him right down to the bone. He recovered from surgery and didn't lose his arm thank God.

That accident left a lasting impression on me and to this day whenever I am using a saw, grinder or whatever I am extremely careful about where I sit it down.

On another note I knew a guy who was using an angle grinder and the disc exploded. He had safety glasses on but a piece went right under them and took out his eye. One day during lunch he removed his glass eye to clean it. That too left a lasting impression on me and I always wear safety glasses whenever using these kind of tools.

The worst thing I ever did was laid down my skil saw and accidently cut the cord off it.

Glad your OK Kody.

Mojo

SteveA

My table saw came with an anti kick back feature.  It was the first thing I removed.  I don't recommend removing it for anyone this was my choice.  I am sure that no matter what kind of tool you use every one is dangerous in one way or another.  Anti kick back feature would have probably stopped that board from shooting back.  I'm with Chris - safety glasses first rule - second rule - safety glasses - third rule don't underestimate any hand or power tool -
I have a friend that has hearing loss from the staple gun - not sure what my lungs look like from sanding dust, and solvents or air borne particles from textiles - etc.
SA 

gene

Forth rule: if it looks dangerous, let someone else try it first.

Fifth rule: Never run with scissors in your hands unless they are pointed at someone else and you intend to do serious bodily injury to them.

Sixth rule: Check with your doctor before having sex if you are in an area where ice cream trucks are know to frequent.

gene

SteveA

Seventh Rule: If Mr. Softy provides hearing protection for Mr. Softy than it's not an issue

SA

gene

I hear they've got pills that will take care of Mr. Softy.

65Buick

Can we return to our regular programming?

kodydog

I once read an article in Fine Homebuilding Magazine. The carpenter was ripping limber on his table saw. Someone stepped into the room and asked him a question. He looked up for just a second and that's when he cut his finger off.

1. Never let someone distract you. Always finish what you are doing and turn the machine off before you look away from your project.
2. Never distract someone who is using a power tool. Always wait until they are done before you get their attention.