Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 26, 2024, 04:59:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Rubber check

Started by kodydog, August 23, 2016, 07:06:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

We don't get them often but when we do... it sucks.

We did a 3 piece sectional. Got 1/2 down, COM. She called us before the check came back to warn us she wrote it from an old account. By all appearances she has plenty of money. Shes young-ish with 3 pre-teen children.

The family is moving from a nice house to a really, really nice house in another city. Her excuse is her world is upside down. Moving, Changing banks, Kids changing school and now shes away in another state.

None of that gets me mad, mistakes happen and I'm sure shes good for it. BUT if I wrote a craftsman or business owner a bad check I would make every effort to show up at their business the next day with cash in hand. Its been a week. The check is in the mail.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

You received 1/2 down - is that the check that came back - have you delivered the sectional yet ?
Anyway new recover for the new house - makes sense  - they are probably just absent minded - it will be paid in full and turn out to be a customer that recommends a 1/2 dozen new customers.

I do work for a local company that has used me over 35 years and some of the office people have become close friends.  The company is doing badly - selling off equipment, laying off employees.  The last two checks took 4 months to get to me. I don't think they will fold but who knows.  Do I continue to work for them knowing any day they could close their doors.  These are friends but I can't risk doing repairs and not get paid.  Tough positions to deal with - all part of the fun for small business'
SA

MinUph

Seeing she called says something about her. I think if she was a stiff she wouldnt have bothered calling. Moving and such is hard on some people it strains their life, especially with children.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Quote from: SteveA on August 24, 2016, 03:39:49 am
You received 1/2 down - is that the check that came back - have you delivered the sectional yet ?
SA

I didn't make that clear. Yes the sectional is finished and delivered. The bad check is for the final payment.

sofadoc

I've had similar situations.

I firmly believe that she has every intention of making good on her final payment.

BUT..........I also believe that the story about writing the check on the wrong account was merely a ploy to buy some time.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

The new check arrived yesterday. Yea. All is good.

gene

Glad it worked out well. I was in a sales training class many years ago and the question was asked, "When is the sale complete?" The answer the instructor gave was "When the check clears."

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!