Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 12:53:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Newbie questions if you don't mind

Started by diymom, July 09, 2018, 02:43:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

diymom

July 09, 2018, 02:43:57 pm Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:39:02 pm by diymom
Hi all,

I have enjoyed reading your posts and have learned quite a bit from them.  I have a 10-year old Vanguard sectional that I am going to attempt to reupholster.  I have signed up for a 9-week upholstery workshop where the instructor helps with any project (even big sectionals!) .... so I am hoping that will keep me from messing this up!  My class doesn't begin until the end of August but wanted to gather my materials and do my research now.

A couple questions if you don't mind....(attaching pics of my sectional below)

FOAM:
Do you agree that I should redo the seat cushions as even though they were good quality and vanguard calls them lifetime, they are 10 years old and the chaise sags in the center (not shown as much in photo) and sofa cushion is slightly compressed and sagging?

I know it's impossible to tell what density etc. foam I currently have but was wondering if you could give me your best guess for what it may be.  They are incredibly comfortable and I'd love to get close to the same feel.   The cushions are the Majestic style called semi-soft and they are described in this link from Vanguard furniture: 
https://vanguardfurniture.com/CushionOptions

Upon opening the cotton sewn cover I believe there is a 5 inch high density foam topped by a 1 inch high density foam in, I am guessing, a softer foam than the 5 inch and then there is dacron on all sides.  The one inch topper foam is glued to the 5 inch and the edges appear to be pulled and glued down to make a roundish edge (could be the "comfort crown" described in the cushion description.   (box height of cushion covers is 5 inches). Any guess on what type of foams and dacron were used in this/or suggestions of what I should use?

FABRIC:
I don't want to be penny wise pound foolish and buy bad fabric...  I came across  100% polypropylene fabric with a 30,000 rub count  by revolutionsfabrics.com.  They are used by many decent quality furniture companies and upholsterers.  Have any of you heard of this manufacturer and would you recommend it?  If not do you have any recommendations for the most economical fabric that isn't so cheap it's foolish?

I appreciate any help or advice you can give! 

Deb

SteveA

If the cushions are collapsing and there is nothing wrong with the structure under the cushions you may need to replace the foam and maybe upgrade the foam.  Go to the upholster's shop and ask him to show you the different grades of foam.  This is all a matter of preference - those types of seating frames sit kind of low  This is about learning as much as it's about budget but replacing the seating cushions will add significant cost  -  the end result should be much better.  10 years is a good amount of time getting daily use and there is no mention how often or how many folks are using the furniture.  You thought this out nicely Mom and your description was even analytical but for a first project you may be pushing it.  A lot of expense on a big item like this may not be the right choice but I wish you the best whatever you decide.
SA

diymom

Thank you SA!

I realize I may be pushing it with this big of a project lol...kind of my MO with diy and home improvement projects.  I just jump in lol.  Grew up with a Dad who owned a metal fab shop and could fix or make anything...he had his contractor license on the side and built our house on weekends and nights.  I was his sidekick. :)   I have upholstered small pieces before but they were very simple, slipper chairs etc.  I can sew well.  I'm going to do my research and go slow and careful.  Glad I will be taking the upholstery workshop classes!  I hear there are quite a few talented students who take the class over and over and you learn a lot just from watching them all.  Hope I don't end up being one of those customers who brings you guys their botched job!

Take care,
Deb

diymom

Oh also there is also one spot that is ever so slightly depressed on the structure beneath the chaise cushion...there may be a spring out of wack...making the project even more out of my league lol....this should be interesting!  Also there are three of us in our home who use the sectional, my two children and myself.  Sectional gets a medium amount of use...not heavy tv watchers though and we are busy with kids activities etc.

Thanks again,
Deb

SteveA

A disconnected zig zag spring is an easy fix.  A sectional is a big project for a class setting.  Years ago I was the woodworker half with an upholstery team and we taught woodworking and upholstery to adults at night in a continuing education class at the local high school.  We did it for 5 years and never had a student bring in anything bigger than a wing chair.  With all that sewing for the cushion covers you will find out that you will spend time waiting for your turn on a sewing machine. Maybe time lost changing thread color.   It's a big project for a class setting but not impossible especially if the teacher approves.  And yes watching the teacher guide a student will take up a lot of your time but worth it - drink it all in - have safety glasses and maybe ear protection since there will be at least 4 staple guns going off at the same time and a compressor in the back ground. 
I think you're hooked Mom - I could see you turning a B/R into a workshop sooner than later lol
SA

kodydog

July 10, 2018, 10:53:10 am #5 Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:55:08 am by kodydog
As a whole this sectional looks like a big project. But when you break it down to three pieces its really not that bad. Everything is basically square. The cushions have no welt. The only thing that will be tricky is the skirt. Once your instructor gets you through the first piece the rest should go pretty smooth. You may have to finish it at home.

If Vanguard calls the cushions "lifetime" what does that mean? Some companies (Flex Steal for one) actually do give a life time warranty on their foam. That could save you a lot of money. It would be worth the research. Your instructor should be able to help determine if they need to be replaced. Sometimes a fresh layer of dacron helps them look like new.

Are you sure this sectional has springs? A lot of modern sectionals use elastic or rubber webbing for their support system. If this is the case there is a good chance they are stretched and sagging. When you take the black dust cover off the bottom you should be able to see what's holding the cushions up.

I've never heard of revolutionsfabrics but 30'000 rub count sounds good. What's the price? Something without a pattern would be a good choice for your first project.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

The term "lifetime" is often subjective.

Many manufacturers play fast and loose with the  "L" word. When they say "lifetime", they mean the general life expectancy of the furniture, not the person sitting in it. Typically, a piece of furniture is expected to last 5-7 years.

As for density, you must also consider compression. I prefer 2.7 density 35 lbs. compression. It has a soft, but weighty feel to it.

This project is a bit large for a first attempt. But as Ed (K-dog) says, mostly simple basic lines and seams.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Dennis
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

diymom

July 10, 2018, 03:59:17 pm #7 Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:00:47 pm by diymom
I had my eye on some 2635 foam that I can order online.  I am going to go to an upholstery supply store and probably buy in person instead so I can check them out and compare with what I've got.  I'll look for 2735.  Do you think the one inch topper is the same compression level as the 5" foam it's glued too?  Or softer? 

If I find it's true that I can take a large piece to this class I will take one section at a time and do a lot of the sewing at home, cushions etc.  I am not going to do the skirt.  Going to leave the bottom plain with legs showing.  Hopefully that makes it a touch easier. 

Definitely doing a solid fabric.  Fabric from revolution fabrics is very inexpensive...$11.95 a yard for the one I like.  Their prices range from 11.95 a yard to about $50. That is why I am a bit unsure as to it's quality...reviews online are great including from upholsterers.  They supply to some decent furniture manufacturers.  25000 rubs sounded promising.  I ordered samples to check them out. 

Vanguard gives a lifetime warranty for their cushions but...I am not the original owner so that warranty is void.  I think 10 years is pretty good for the shape it's in and I got a steal buying this at 3.5 years old from a couple with no kids or animals in excellent condition for $250 :) I think if I had paid what the original owners paid new I wouldn't want to risk reupholstering it myself! 

And yeah I am probably going to get hooked....I already have ideas for other pieces I want to do.    Thanks guys so much for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Deb

65Buick

I follow a couple upholsterers on instagram that use Revolution. Don't know if it's marketing or what.
I went to the website and the claim that they recycle and turn into new fabric. Not a new thing, but anyway.. I haven't personally seen their fabric.

diymom

Kodydog I think it has springs...pretty sure I can feel them when I run my hand along the surface of the seats.

65buick I may try the fabric first on my kitchen chairs that need recovered.  Price seems too good to be true...they are good at marketing.  Their instagram page sucked me in.

kodydog

Quote from: diymom on July 10, 2018, 03:59:17 pm
  Do you think the one inch topper is the same compression level as the 5" foam it's glued too?  Or softer? 
Deb

If this was my sectional I would use a solid piece of foam and not worry about piecing the top. Glue a layer of dacron to the top front and bottom to give it that little bit of ahh.

You know when you go to class with all this information you're instructor is going to wonder who you've been talking to.

diymom

Hi all,
I am resurrecting my old thread here.  You all were so kind and helpful when I asked about this project.  Well work got busy...a good thing...and I did not take the upholstery class nor did I attempt this project.  I am now going to contact a pro and have the sectional upholstered right.  Wanted to ask if any of you were in Orange County,  California or if you had a referral for a good upholsterer in Orange County, California.
Thank you so much!
Diymom with no time for diy at the moment :)

kodydog

March 24, 2019, 07:43:40 pm #12 Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:44:06 pm by kodydog
Here are some questions to ask when looking for a good upholsterer.

1. Do you strip the furniture to the frame? Removing the old fabric is the only way to check your padding, springs and frame
joints.

2. Do you guarantee your craftsmanship.

3. How long do you keep the furniture once it is picked up. Some upholsterers like to pick up the furniture right away to be guarantied a job even though they know it may be months before they will get to it. A two week turnaround is not unusual. A two month backlog is a good thing. This shows the upholsterer is busy and has many loyal customers.

4. Do you have referral's. If they have referral's from furniture stores or designers call them and ask what they think.

5. Who does the work, do you subcontract? Can I visit your workroom, meet your upholsterer, see your work?

6. Will I get an estimate before you pick-up my piece. You would be surprised how many upholstery shops try to skirt around this one. They would much rather just give you the bill at delivery.

7. If you want a skilled upholsterer ask them, do you match your patterns. A lot don't.

8. Rapport is important. If you find the person on the phone is not answering your questions or seems to be cutting the conversation short you may want to move on.