Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 02:29:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting Strataglass

Started by bobbin, May 03, 2011, 02:28:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Tis the season!  I'm into glass replacement hell, seems every single one I've had calls for 40 gauge Strata.  All the shears in the shop are dull as hoes so trimming the new stuff and cutting out the old stuff is beyond torture.  What do you guys use to accomplish the feat?  Is there any kind of tool out there along the lines of a beefed up seam ripper that will allow you run the cutting edge along the inside of the window?

Mike8560

I use a utility blade to score it thentear it apart e ec it reacing thenvinyl. With new I'll score the old and tear it out

bobbin

Whoa, Mike!  Lemme see if I understand you correctly... .  Boss will have a stroke if I'm seen bringing an utility knife within 6' of the Strata, lol.   I'm not even permitted to touch the damn stuff... no kidding.  Strata tubes are only to be touched by Boss.  (like I will disintegrate it if I touch it, lol). 

This is how I presently do it:
I cut the corners of the window that will be removed. 
I tape the new Strata in place and secure it with a couple of strategically placed staples. 
I drive around the new stuff, centering the stitching on the tape. 
(This is the part that's so hard on my hands, the removal of the original window)

This is where you score the old stuff with the utility knife? or do you score it before you tape in and sew the new stuff??
And then you're able to simply tear the old stuff out because scoring it weakens it enough?

Gulp!

JuneC

Yup!  Me too.  Like Mike.  I tried the scissor thing - gave up after about 10 inches over 6 years ago and never looked back.  Cut one corner (so you have a place to start pulling), sew the new glass under the old (or over - your preference), then score the old glass right next to the canvas with a box cutter using a NEW blade.  Dull won't do you any favors here.  Best done early in the morning or right after lunch.  This requires a steady hand.  I've had bad luck using a straight-edge so just freehand it.

Note, it's important to not stop too long in one spot if the old glass is still fairly soft.  The blade will sink right through it with just the weight of your hand and nick the new glass.

Then bend along the cut edge - this usually helps crack the old glass a bit, then just pull it off.  You'll be amazed how fast it is and easy on the hands.  That is, unless the glass is so old and brittle it just breaks up.  I've had it crack into shards like real glass panes. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

Bobbin, June put me on to this ripping the stuff, it's just amazing the way you get a quick clean cut.
It's just like cutting real glass, instead of scoring & snapping it you are scoring it & ripping it apart  :D

8)  

Suzi

jsquail

awesome info here!!! I wish i would have known this 6 months ago when i did a window replacement. cutting the old glass out with scissors was brutal!
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike8560

May 04, 2011, 11:41:44 am #6 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:54:41 pm by Mike8560
If I'm replacing a window and putting in new its easier to score the vinyl and tear it like June doese ocut the corner up so you can start to tear scoring first is safer not to cut through to the new window.
Sew the new strata on And score and tear to finnished shape after sewing  On a new canvas I score  my strata also  you can mark a lk e a trace it tearing is allot easier and faster the trying to cut with sissors.  

RandyOnR3

we have a different way of doing it all together..
and this is replacing window material that the window has a douple stitch around it............
 from the backside, we cut the material between stitching lines, favoring the inside.. pull the stitching on the outside line along with the narrow piece of window material that was origionally cut..
 the new window material is layed atop the old and sewn in following the outside line.. flip the window over and with a razor knife, slice the stitching around the window on the old material.. the old window lifts out leaving the new material stitched at the outside line..
 alittle blow with the air gun around the edge will clean out any dirt caught in the canvas and then we sew the inside line back down to the glass,  
 what you have is a comeplete removal of the old window material, and when its stitched on the same lines, you cant tell the material has ever been replaced, except for the new material being in it...

Mike8560

bobbin

I think I am sentanced to another of those Strata jobs tomorrow AM.  I am going to bring in my utility knife complete with fresh blade and give this "tear thang" a shot.  Nothing can be worse that trying to use a seam ripper to cut the stuff!

Thanks!

scarab29

It's just me but I hate to see the bit of clear vinyl left it. I always remove it completly and sew in new. Just finished some here myself.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike8560

I've fried the thing where you remove theold window completely opening the seam  a d swing I the new at the same time sorta.
But I've found that scoring the old first.  Then sewing on a new window inside
I'll even trim the edge inside with 3/4" binding sewn flat to bide the new raw edge of vinly  the remove the prescored old piece is the fastest way for me to go.
Time is money.  Ice got to go price a complete redo tomorow on a glacier bay.

Lynn

Same as RandyR I don't like to leave old window in either.
The only exception is if the customer wants a really quick cheap job.
Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

Mike8560

Quote from: Lynn on May 07, 2011, 07:26:29 pm

The only exception is if the customer wants a really quick cheap job.
Lynn

do t they all ;)

bobbin

I have yet to meet the customer that is not "all about" money.  I see their eyes glaze over when given the estimate that includes the cost of Strata.  Getting them to accord me the time to do a complete glass removal... no way!

There is no way I could get our repair crowd to bite for the dough required to remove all traces of the previous window. 

I am "all about" your technique but for me ...  no matter how fabulous it may be, it won't be "worth it' for me.