Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 06:28:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Customizing bedding for boats

Started by bobbin, May 02, 2011, 10:23:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I was asked about doing this for a V berth on a large boat.  I have only done a little bit of this sort of work and my question relates to how much "extra" I should leave so the top sheet, blanket, coverlet, can be tucked in  easily, but there is still enough to cover two sleeping bodies without leaving them uncovered. 

I have no trouble with the fitted bottom sheet or the mattress cover, but the top sheet and covers have me scratching my head.  Anyone?

I see this as a nice addition to my services as I have the perfect equipment to make doing it easy and fast.  I just don't want to make a mistake with someone's fabric by being too skimpy with the final shape. 

Mike8560

I'm I'd no help but I'd be surprised that someone would want to tuck themselfs in lime that on a boat. 
Me I just lag ontop of the comforter a d roll o er a d cover up with it ;).
I e been asked to dothat type of work before but was too busy to try a d get. Into it cabin curtians also

ya no help 

DBR1957

To me the cover has always just been an aesthetic item. On a v-berth it won't
provide enough cover for individuals to use as a functional blanket. Ask the
customer how they will use it. If they plan to use it as a functional blanket then
make it normal size and how it tucks under the cushion is what it is.

bobbin

A couple of things:
1.)  The boat is a cruiser, in the 55-60' range, this is the sort of boat that is lived on for an entire season; there are crew quarters.   It's a custom built boat and it's absolutely beautiful, the joinery is gorgeous.
2.)  I am a sub-contractor on the job and have no contact with the customer in question. 

I have done bedding a couple of times in the past, with completely inadequate machinery (heavy walking foot machines and 92 weight thread!) and absolutely no real clue what I was doing.  Boss had even less of a clue than I did and I was dissatisfied with the aesthetics of the work when it was finished.  I don't know how it was received by the owner, but I wouldn't have been pleased to pay for it; it just looked amateurish.  But I see that this line of work is much needed and with my garment background I have the perfect machinery in my own shop to make the work neat, quick, and great looking.  I'm just really stumped about how much to cut down the sheets they supply, so they aren't a drag to tuck in but still provide adequate and comfortable coverage for the snoozer. 

Mike8560

Bobbin why not just allow as much as a normal bed then?
Currios were are you  that you  see boat that size. You profe dosent say ?

Grebo

Hi Bobbin, I originally bought my overlocker (Serger) for this very purpose & it's since come in real handy for any removable seat covers that have a tendency to coming unravelled. Like sunbrella cushion for example.
Any way, I would do like Mike said get a standard Duvet for the rough size of bed & just trim it a bit to shape at the narrow end. That should look the part & still be big enough.
I find most people don't actually think of getting bedding made to measure & once they have 'discovered it' generally don't want any thing else.
I am currently pushing made to measure memory foam bed toppers, easy work & real comfy for the client.
Either covered like a mattress or with a fitted bed protector holding it to the main bed.

Suzi

bobbin

That was sort of the way I was heading, Grebo, but I figured some of you "smarties" would have an ready answer.  Thanks for the shove in the right direction.  The upshot is that I can't meet the yard's deadline on that part of the job (1 1/2 weeks), so I'll have some time to fiddle around with some techniques on "dog covers" for some of my own shaped cushions here.