Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:20:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

welting feet

Started by bobbin, December 22, 2010, 04:50:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I presently have 1/4" welting feet for my Juki.  I would like to be able to offer customers a choice of cording sizes for their custom projects.

I am interested in adding a couple of other sizes to my collection.  For those of you in the upholstery line of work what other common sizes do you stock for your machines? 

sofadoc

I also have 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4. Except for the 1/2, I seldom use any of the others. The 1/2 works on most braided ropes (as long as the fabric isn't too thick).
My Juki LU-1508 is very similar to your DNU-1541.
On the larger sizes, I had to grind the tops of the welt feet, so the needle bar doesn't strike them on the downstroke. At first, I blamed myself for buying cheap E-Bay welt feet. But then I ordered some from Gregg, and had the same problem (broke 3 threadguides).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I have 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. I also have a zipper foot that I can use to make welt cord out of anything - I can buy rope at Walmart and make welt cord. The only problem with the zipper foot is that when the welt cord is large I have to work hard at keeping it out from under the needle.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

December 22, 2010, 06:14:33 am #3 Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:17:03 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Size for the most popular welt foot set style is 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4", and can be see here (shameless self plug) http://www.keysew.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KSMCI&Product_Code=S32

Cheryl

Hi Greg,

I was told once that the inside foot for the 1/4"  and the  3/8" was the same.  Is that so? 

If it is.. then what sets  share the  same inside foot?? 
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Cheryl on December 22, 2010, 10:52:52 am
Hi Greg,

I was told once that the inside foot for the 1/4"  and the  3/8" was the same.  Is that so? 

If it is.. then what sets  share the  same inside foot?? 

1/4" and 3/8" are not the same, and both use different inside/outside feet.  All of my feet that are popular are this way.  I have seen some odd ball cording feet sets that have limited range for not so popular models.

bobbin

OK, me next, Gregg!  I want to know about the needle bar whacking the top of the welting feet for larger diameter cords... sounds like a design flaw ;) .  I would be pretty irritated if that happened on my brand new machine... any insights on corrective steps?

sofadoc

Bobbin: My 1508 is several years old, and I bought it used. It's possible that you won't have the same problem with your new 1541.
Those same welt feet also had to be ground before they would fit on my old LU-562.
I guess that my needle bar could be raised, but that would involve re-timing the hook, and I'd just as soon leave well enough alone.
Again, the problem is only with sizes 1/2, 5/8, 3/4.
Anything below 1/2 works fine.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sofadoc on December 22, 2010, 03:19:11 pm
Bobbin: My 1508 is several years old, and I bought it used. It's possible that you won't have the same problem with your new 1541.
Those same welt feet also had to be ground before they would fit on my old LU-562.
I guess that my needle bar could be raised, but that would involve re-timing the hook, and I'd just as soon leave well enough alone.
Again, the problem is only with sizes 1/2, 5/8, 3/4.
Anything below 1/2 works fine.

Exactly it;  get your Dremel tool.  And, no, don't start raising the needle bar!

Cheryl

Thanks Greg... I always suspected so...  Currently  I use the same inside foot for them because that is what I was sold.   I will put a new set on my  want list for spring.  And I will order from you. :-)

Have a Merry Christmas!

Cheryl
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

baileyuph

December 23, 2010, 06:03:24 am #10 Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 07:21:41 pm by DB
QuoteAnd, no, don't start raising the needle bar!

Amen, can of worms.  will lead to making other changes.

Regarding welt feet Bobbin, I have had problems with the knock off feet, problems with most required grinding and actually drilling too.  To get around the problem, best to stick with machine manufacturer OEM approved feet even though cost can and will be higher, for example Pfaff and the older Singers.  I would think the same for the Juki also, however I have found a lot of the Singer feet, OEM, work fine on the Juki.

First I check with my dealer for OEM feet new or used, much better than these cheap knock offs.  As to what to buy?  As diversified shop, probably all of them, a need will likely crop up.  The right foot can change with a change in thickness of fabric or materials, even using the same core.

Doyle

bobbin

I don't know what the abbreviation, OEM, stands for.

Gregg, would your company be able to "fit" the larger sized welting feet on a similar model to determine if the needle bar would hit them and perform the requisite grinding before shipping them to me?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

December 23, 2010, 08:22:48 am #12 Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:29:21 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: bobbin on December 23, 2010, 07:12:49 am
I don't know what the abbreviation, OEM, stands for.

OEM is an acronym for "Original Equipment Manufacturer".

Gregg, would your company be able to "fit" the larger sized welting feet on a similar model to determine if the needle bar would hit them and perform the requisite grinding before shipping them to me?

Glad you asked sir!

Service is what we are all about!  As for genuine cording feet sets, they can be over the top expensive in many cases.  As long as you get quality generic parts, your going to be fine.  If I have a set out of the box that does not work, they go right back to my supplier.