Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 04:23:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ordering a laptop

Started by bobbin, December 19, 2010, 12:44:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I need some insight on the sorts of programs I should include when ordering a laptop.  I can't afford a Mac.  I'm looking at Dell Inspiron 15". 

Do you think it's important to include both Microsoft Word and Quickbooks in the initial purchase?  I have never used Word (or Quickbooks which nearly everyone here recommends).  I'm trying to keep costs down and would really appreciate any insight you could offer into this. 

I'm inclined to buy Quickbooks and skip Word, but I don't know.  So, I figured I'd ask you and find out how much you use Word.  I know how to type and I like to write, so I wonder if its purchase may be a good way to begin learning how to use it effectively.  Thoughts?

SHHR

The majority of downloads and attatchments to e-mail will be in word. If you don't have it it will be difficult to open those files. I didn't get word on my computer and paid dearly for it. You can go online and download a free word viewer program like I did, but it still gives me fits at times on certain files.
Kyle

Rich

If you can get it, Microsoft Office which includes Word and other programs. One of them is Excel which is a spreadsheet that I use a lot and every time I get an attachment that was made on a spreadsheet, it was done in Excel.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

MinUph

bobbin,
  Quickbooks is a definite if you want to computerize your book keeping. But Office is expensive even if you were to only buy word. There is an equivalent office package called open office from Sun micro systems that will is 100% compatible with MS Office documents. In other words you can open .doc files write .doc files and share documents with others that use word. This also holds true for spreadsheets, databases and everything else MS Office does except Outlook. The best part of all this is it is FREE. Donations to the cause are accepted but not required at all. I've used this package for years and it is perfect. I have also use MS Office for years but have recently moved to open office as I don't see the need to spend so much money of the programs.
  Just google "open office" without the quotes and it will come up. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

Paul beat me to it.  Open Office is a terrific FREE offering from Sun.  I bought Microsoft office when I was a student so my price was low, but on my new computer, the Open Office products are what I use.  The best price I've gotten for Quickbooks is at Costco.  Check with your local community college or university for evening classes on these products.  They're usually very reasonable for a quick start on learning and to prevent frustration. 

June 
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

gene

December 20, 2010, 07:13:52 am #5 Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:15:45 am by gene
If you haven't already, you may want to spend time reviewing Quickbooks. There are several different versions of it. Are you going to do payroll with online access? Inventory? Only Estimates and Invoices and basic accounting? Banking?

Open Office is great. I love it. The only issue I have run into is when I email doc files to others and they have microsoft word. Sometimes the format is messed up, such as the paragraphs are all out of whack. I deal with this by converting my docs to PDF files and this eliminates the problem.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: gene on December 20, 2010, 07:13:52 am
If you haven't already, you may want to spend time reviewing Quickbooks. There are several different versions of it. Are you going to do payroll with online access? Inventory? Only Estimates and Invoices and basic accounting? Banking?

Open Office is great. I love it. The only issue I have run into is when I email doc files to others and they have microsoft word. Sometimes the format is messed up, such as the paragraphs are all out of whack. I deal with this by converting my docs to PDF files and this eliminates the problem.

Gene

We've been using quickbooks for over ten years, great program.  Does show some limitations over time, but still overally very good.

As for open office, when clicking save as, click below, and you can see the file types (Word is .doc) seen here https://www.keysew.com/Demo_images/Open_office_help_gene.jpg

Open O

bobbin

Wow! thanks for all the good insight into the programs.  I've never even heard of Open Office, but will definitely scope it out.  As for Quickbooks, it can be purchased at a discounted rate and I will make the time to research which version would be best for my circumstances.  I have a couple of friends in accounting and they will be able to help me out. 

I would eventually like to do all book keeping, banking, inventory, and basic "office work" on the computer.  It all seems very daunting right now, but it certainly can't be that difficult or it wouldn't be so popular.  I figure it's like mathematics or chemistry, you put in the time on the front end of the endeavor, keep plugging away at it and pretty soon it gets easier and becomes more intuitive. 

MinUph

Yea bobbin,
  I started many years ago with Peachtree accounting. It came with a huge book and I never did very well with it. As soon as Quick Books came out I bought it and never looked back. Very simple for accounting. You will do well with it. QB Pro is most likely what you will want to look at. Some of the more industry specific versions don't offer much except some simple things you could add yourself.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: MinUph on December 20, 2010, 05:35:28 pm
Yea bobbin,
  I started many years ago with Peachtree accounting. It came with a huge book and I never did very well with it. As soon as Quick Books came out I bought it and never looked back. Very simple for accounting. You will do well with it. QB Pro is most likely what you will want to look at. Some of the more industry specific versions don't offer much except some simple things you could add yourself.

Peachtree was always marketed toward the accounting professional.  Great, if your an accounting professional, and have great understanding of common book keeping practices, but not for the rest of us.

bobbin

Update:  I have bagged the purchase of a new laptop for the time being.  I would love one, but the reality is that every dime I save is important right now.  I have a perfectly serviceable computer and common sense tells me there is no need to reinvent the wheel in that respect when there are other ways/things to put my capital to work right now. 

1.)  I've resolved the wireless router thing with the help of a local computer guy.  My computer is now in my shop.   :D  This was a confusing and frustrating obstacle for too long.  Total cost:  $50, should have forked it over months ago!  The guy is great and very helpful and has a way of explaining things that removes the shroud of mystery in seconds.  He's a great resource and contact. 
2.)  I have decided on Peachtree for my accounting software and a good friend who uses it regularly has graciously offered to help me with it.  Says it's really easy, so we'll see.  I have had both Financial and Managerial accounting in the course of my college experience, so the basics are not wholly unfamiliar. 
3.)  I have a cell phone and am working on learning how to use it effectively (Trac Fone).  This is really big step for me, and a challenge, but one that will ultimately make my life a lot easier. 
4.)  I have secured my domain name with GoDaddy and will work on a website slowly and patiently. 

Exotic Leather

Although, I'm a MAC user, I frequently deal with the PC laptops, and you will get bang for your buck buying one.

I highly suggest using Quickbooks, and then instead of using word, you could simply sign up for a Google account.  Use Google Docs to import any word docs, and you can create docs from there too.  It's easy to use, and improves all the time!  Hey, It's Google!

TheHogRing

Definitely get microsoft office - but you can get by perfectly fine with the student edition. If you're not familiar with quickbooks, wait on it. It's a complicated and expensive program, so you shouldn't buy it without being 100% committed to using it. I suggest taking a quick course at your local community college on how it works - then, if you think you have a use for it, go ahead and buy it.

byhammerandhand

I can't see if it still does, but Quickbooks used to have a "starter" edition that had very limited functionality.   It would allow you to trial it out.  Normally, the best approach is to run "parallel" to your existing system for a while.   If you have no existing system, then you can just play with it for some sample estimates, invoices, etc.

I have some background in accounting (though my wife is a CPA and she helps by closing the books every month, while I do the day-to-day transactions).  I say it's a way to force you to do double-entry bookkeeping without knowing it.

The biggest hurdle to get over is to set up your chart of accounts.   If you are just playing, you can use the starter set, but eventually, you will want your own list of items, bank accounts, customers, vendors, etc.   It will probably take a few hours to input all your accounts and feed in a few customers and vendors.  You add more as your business operates.

As far as your expense accounts go, my  advice is to get an IRS schedule C (business income and expenses) and don't stray too far from that.  Otherwise you will have a lot of shuffling and re-categorizing come income tax time.  (This assumes you are in USA, if you are elsewhere, look at your business tax forms).

My biggest complaint is that since I e-mail most of my invoices, I'm forced to upgrade every three years.    I would also have to upgrade if I had employee payroll.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison