Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 03:26:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Difficult upholstery fabric

Started by bobbin, December 17, 2010, 11:57:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I need your opinions on this one, guys.  I just completed a job at work using a very difficult fabric (Rob't Allen, $180/yd.!).  It was a rayon/cotton blend with a large embroidered floral pattern.  Lovely stuff, until I turned it over... yikes! all the different colored threads for the embroidered motifs were simply carried over from one part of the design to the next.  There were spans of thread that were 5" across and if cut could've been used for tassels!.  Once the pieces were cut there were hanks of multi-colored thread hanging every where and there was the ever present threat of snagging them on something and pulling the face out of wack. 

I was at my job and there is virtually no equipment there (what little there is is poorly maintained or filthy) and was just about beside myself.  I ended up backing the fabric with lining and then brought the pieces home and overlocked them with my own machine.  I honest don't know what I'd have done had the pieces required cording!  How do you deal with this kind of fabric? do you bond something to it, trim the carried over threads, "just deal with it"? what?

sofadoc

Another problem with that type of fabric is how it reacts to steaming. The multicolored threads will tighten, while the "face fabric" doesn't, thus giving it a puckered look.
Yeah, it is easy to snag those loose threads. Your backing idea isn't a bad one. I've had a little luck by using a cheap can of hair spray on the back to stiffen the threads. But, more often than not, I "just deal with it".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Have you ever had to try to cut cording from it, Sofa.?

That was the reason for my question about bonding some sort of backing to it.  I thought of fusible interfacing, but was concerned about the reaction of the face to the heat required to bond anything.  (glad I sidestepped that minefield, lol!).

sofadoc

Cording isn't so bad. By the time you cut it ino 1.5" strips, the loose threads aren't long enough to get snagged on anything.

gene

I've used fusable backing on that type of fabric a few times. I buy the rolls of 1/2" and steam it to where I am going to cut. It is very time consuming. And yes, steam a sample piece first.

If the area on the back that is fully woven is wide enough, I try to cut my welt cord strips from this area so I don't have to mess with all those threads.

Other than this, cutting them off is the only other way that I have dealt with this type of fabric.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

I bought a can of "No Fray Spray" at Joann Fabric once. Can't find it anymore. Anyone know where I can get some more.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 18, 2010, 05:46:22 pm
I bought a can of "No Fray Spray" at Joann Fabric once. Can't find it anymore. Anyone know where I can get some more.

A 99 cent can of Aqua Net hair spray from Wally World works about as well.

206RB

Whoever is running this site needs to learn how to avoid all the spammers.
New software is needed.

sofadoc

Quote from: 206RB on December 18, 2010, 08:17:08 pm
Whoever is running this site needs to learn how to avoid all the spammers.
New software is needed.

While spam may be a problem, I think first and foremost, we should appreciate Ken for providing this website. I'm sure that he's doing the best  he can to knock out the spam posts. We can do our part by not clicking on them.

206RB

Absolutely, although I must admit I didn't know who ran this site, much less who Ken is. Still don't.
I do know I dislike sites full of spam though.
Mike

bobbin

Mike, Ken is a very hard-working guy (with a regular job just like the rest of us).  Staying on top of spam can easily become a full time job (as we all know) and when the spam tide rolls in in the wee hours from faraway lands there isn't much he can do about it.  Drives me nuts, too, so I sympathize. 

I never click on any of those things... what's the drill, anyway? the highlighted words will take you to some site about something vaguely related?  I don't pretend to understand how it all works, I just try to avoid it like the plague. 

As do we all!   :(

kodydog

The spam on my e-mail is over flowing. Lets hope it gets better after Christmas.

kodydog

Yes! Thanks Jonyee. Lots of neat other stuff on that page too. I was hoping to get it at a brick and mortar store. I think I'll try sofadocs idea and borrow some hair spray from my wife's vanity. If that doesn't get the results I want I'll try your link. Thank you.

Don't know what just happened but while I was writing this we just got spamed???

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 20, 2010, 07:57:39 pm
I think I'll try sofadocs idea and borrow some hair spray from my wife's vanity.

Clear polyurethane works pretty good too. Only problem is it makes your scissors sticky.
I keep a can of clear polyurethane and a seperate pair of scissors just for trimming double welt.
I wonder if those E-Bay stores rotate their stock. Those aerosol cans tend to go bad. But $9 a can and free shipping is a pretty good deal (if the cans don't lose their aerosol before you use up the product).
I used to buy those cans of No-fray spray off a supply truck, but they don't carry them anymore. I think I'm gonna' try one of those E-Bay cans.
Heck, it's a good day for me when I ONLY waste 9 bucks!