Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 02:05:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The next 3 things you want to add to your business

Started by bobbin, December 09, 2010, 02:44:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Mojo's great question inspired this one.  What 3 things would you like to add to your business in the coming year?

bobbin

I will continue to add:
1.)  Small tools,  things like punches and grommet setting dies, a common sense punch, etc..  These are things I don't have because my focus was basically tailoring and alterations for many years. 
2.)  A laptop computer (I need a a new 'puter) and Quickbooks.  This will also permit a website for my work.  You guys have recommended them over and over and I see plainly that without a 'puter I will remain in the stone age, wasting tons of time.  Duplication of effort is not very lucrative. 
3.)  A cell phone; probably a Trac Fone so I don't get bogged down in all that "contract" malarky.

Mojo

Great post Bobbin. I never thought of the " wants " side of things.

1.) I want to do some more strategic marketing and target certain markets and demographics. I am going to have to come up with a plan to stimulate sales during off months so I can get out of this cycle of feast or fathom.

2.) I need to pick up a few extra hand tools for the shop. I am sick and tired of running between my woodshop and my upholstery shop looking for my T-square, straight edge and other small tools that are common between the two.

3.) I want to finish off and put the final touches on the shop and finish decorating it. ( Yes I am decorating by building shelves for my collection of antique things ).

4.) I want to learn more pattern and sewing skills for 2011.

Chris

Mike8560

December 09, 2010, 04:00:19 am #3 Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:58:20 pm by Mike8560
Chris after seeing your boat I'd have ro say to a say you could look into boat upholstry there is always boats intown. Maybe more in the winter  but there stll around all summer.

crammage

1. A web site
2. A shop redesign.  I currently work out of my basement and have limited space.  I plan on adding more cabinets and counter top space.  My cutting table is also my work counter so I spend a lot of time cleaning and rearranging in the middle of projects.
3. Tools, tools, tools.

Clay

Grebo

1# Someone to get me organised  ::)
2# Possibly a website.
3# Change of location.

Suzi

fragged8

i'm always looking for the next piece of kit to add to the shop :-)

I did just get an EZ cutter for LTD's man that was expensive ..

1. a portable sewing machine to keep in the van
2. a pneumatic grommet press
3. a bigger workshop :-)

Rich

regalman190

1. Bigger shop
2. Bigger work tables
3. Trailer for working at some marinas.

Hey...Christmas is coming. You never know.
Regal Canvas

sofadoc

I'm pretty well set on all the upholstery tools and gadgets. Now, I think I need to acquire some nicer woodworking tools. I moved into a huge building back in '98, so I have the room for stuff like a nice table saw, drill press, etc.
Then, some nice framing guns for building small stuff like ottomans and benches.
I have the cheapo Harbor Freight versions of all that stuff now. Ready to upgrade.
And thirdly, either I'm getting blind in my old age, or I need better lighting.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BigJohn

A good used Hartco (spelling ?) clip tool to attach paper wrapped stake wire to zig-zag springs, or a sub. that works well at a reasonable price.

A new work table with expandable wings

a second sewing machine

Big John

Mike8560

I'm looking at a building I'd lime to put up and have more room and not pay rent.

Cheryl

retirement with full medical and well funded pension..

oh wait.. thats only for politicians who serve 4  years..   >:(
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

bobbin

Wow, Cheryl, I hear you on that one.  I think my blood pressure increases at the very thought of the price of even a high deductible insurance plan.  To be honest, I'm not sure what I'll do when my husband qualifies for medi-care and we have buy a policy to cover me.  I don't see how we'll be able to afford even a really "catastrophic" one. 

And I know I'm not alone on that one!

sofadoc

Quote from: BigJohn on December 10, 2010, 01:20:24 pm
A good used Hartco (spelling ?) clip tool to attach paper wrapped stake wire to zig-zag springs, or a sub. that works well at a reasonable price.                                   

I just won this item on E-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230559547570&si=1nDXm5eiKoe8GvUrV60nyQiU3us%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
I already have the clips.
Now, I need a good source for the paper wrapped stake wire. I have it in 16 ga., but that's too flimsy. I think I need 8-10 ga. Anybody got any ideas?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

What will you use that tool for, Sofa.?  I have never worked in the upholstery field and it's not familiar to me.  I do believe contratulations are in order, though!