Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 06:58:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pressing/cutting table

Started by bobbin, November 14, 2010, 06:17:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Does anyone here work on a padded work table and also press on it?  I have a great new cutting table and would like to make a cover (preshrinking the cotton for the cover now)and padding for it so I may use my iron on it.  I had trouble pressing the tablecloth I made and wonder if there is anyone here who has that arrangement in their shop?  I am not sure what to use for padding under the cover and on top of the bench or where to get it.

gene

I'm not sure what you mean by "pressing".

I have padding, made for cutting tables, on my cutting table covered with canvas. I buy both of them from Rowleys.

I like being able to stick pins into my cutting table when I need to. It's also a perfect service for ironing fabrics.

https://www.rowleycompany.com/welcome.asp

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

"Ironing" is done with dry heat, Gene.  "Pressing" is done with steam (if you're lucky enough to be able to afford it, vacuum, too!). 

I have the Rowley website in my favorites section, but quite often they're way more expensive than other supplier.  Thanks for the reply. 

JuneC

How about a layer of densified polyester batting under some heavy fabric - I'd be tempted to use cotton duck. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

I've got an old wool blanket (army issue type) that I throw on the table to iron or press.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

scottymc

I have a piece of ply with felt, covered with calico and I just keep that under my cutting bench.

bobbin

More research has turned up the recommendation of Homasote for the base, as it's extremely water resistant (and available in 4x8 sheets, rather than Rowley's little 23-24" squares).  I'm debating some of the medium density foam (1/4") used for pleating in automotive trimming to cover the Homasote... figure it must be pretty rugged stuff if it's used in cars!  It's available in 60" width and is not very expensive.  And it won't retain moisture and get nasty as can happen with cotton battings.  I'm not familiar with densified batting June.  Is it different that the usual stuff that comes on the big, puffy rolls?

I have the duck for the top covering and I preshrank that this morning.  I would like something with a bit more "hand", but it will get me rolling and give me time to check the web for #12 (maybe lighter) duck in 84" width. 

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep you posted as I make progress.   The idea is to make the padding and cover fully removable so I may use the bench without it if I wish to have a slick, smooth surface for cutting runs. 

MinUph

Quote from: bobbin on November 14, 2010, 01:18:37 pm
debating some of the medium density foam (1/4") used for pleating in automotive trimming to cover the Homasote... figure it must be pretty rugged stuff if it's used in cars!  It's available in 60" width and is not very expensive. 

Hi Bobbin,
  The 1/4" foam isn't very strong it only meant for use between layers or scrim backed. If I were going this route I think I'd use the thin Dacron batting as mentioned by JuneC.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

November 14, 2010, 03:20:58 pm #8 Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:28:07 pm by JuneC
Densified polyester is, IMHO, unusual stuff.  Down here, Joann's Fabrics sometimes sells it and calls it "outdoor foam".  It has nothing to do with foam.  Doesn't look like it, feel like it or act like it.  It also doesn't look or act like dri-fast foam.  It comes in various thicknesses, but is not at all like the soft puffy stuff you'd use around foam for seat cushions.  It has give, but is much firmer and the thickness is consistent.  A quick Google search turned up this page.

http://www.furniturerestorationtoolsandsupplies.com/vmchk/upholstery-supplies-dacronbatting/view-all-products

See the 2nd picture down (densified dacron).  Some places call it "Nu-foam"

June

And while I was looking for the densified dacron, I found this...  Really interesting!  Now I have to order a sample for a boat seat cushion wrapper for nicely upholstered cockpit cushions.  I don't like using regular dacron on boat seats since it sucks in water like crazy, and sew foam is just as bad (and doesn't work with furniture-grade Sunbrella IMHO). 

http://www.batt-mart.com/site/490194/product/BB-CC-1219-ROLL

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Terminology sometimes gets the best of me. What I was trying to say to use is a very thin pressed polyester like 1/8" thick. Very firm and thin.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I bought an underlayment from Rowleys that came in a roll 10 feet long and a width that was wider than my 60" table so I could pull it under and staple it.

I iron and press on my cutting table. Thanks for the info on what pressing is. I didn't know there was a different name for them.

gene

bobbin

Thank you so much for you insight into the supplies to use for the cover(s). 

My tables are 36"H and the Homasote will add another 1/2", the polyester "batting" a bit more loft.  I am looking for something on the order of the densified batting, but more in the neighborhood of 1/4-1/2" thick.  All it needs to do is provide a little cushion atop the Homasote and under the duck, but it has to be able to handle moisture from steam.  I live in a marine environment and moisture is a constant issue (esp. in the summertime); which is why I want to be able to remove the padding periodically and dry it out thoroughly.

That's why I was thinking about the foam, Min., but if your experience says don't use it I will happily defer to your greater experience.  Thanks for the "heads up".   I'm into doing things one time and properly... jackassing around only wastes time and money in the long run. 

June, we used the densified batting for a number of patio seating projects some years ago.  I didn't recognize the name, but when I saw the product in your link I recognized it instantly.  We used the 3" thick "boards" for chaise longue cushions.  I also recall it was a bear to cut, lol.  The foam saw chewed it up, and the big shears did the job, but game my hands quite a workout, lol.  It came from a local supplier who no longer carries it, but he may be a good resource for something thinner but on the same order with respect to moisture resistance.  Thanks much for your timely links, I never seem to be particularly quick or successful when I attempt to google things. 

Gene, did you use TC10, "worktable padding" from Rowley?  I've looked at it several times and I'm certainly not unwilling to pay the price if it will do  the job for me.  But I will be frank, I have found the Rowley company less than helpful when I've had questions about some of their product line.  They don't return e-mails and their product descriptions are frequently lacking; when I finally gave up and called them, the person on the other end of the phone was decidedly uninterested; even told me, "oh yeah, I remember that e-mail"!  Now that's "customer service".  For instance, what is the content of the TC10?? what's it made of, kids? ditto the base squares that would form the first layer on the tabletop.   Clearly, my experience with them has been less than stellar, which is a shame because they have many interesting items.

gene

bobbin,

I use the TC10 padding with the TC 72 canvas over it. I do not use the pinnable underlayment under the padding.

I tend to abuse my cutting table with dining room chairs and slipseats and cutting wood and metal and things I should be doing back on the workbench, so I tend to replace the canvas every 2 years or so. In 6 years I have not had to replace the padding.

gene

bobbin

Gene, thanks for the reply, I was hoping you would check this thread again!  Now I hope you can tell me a little about the padding.  Is is a foam type thing or more of a batting item?  What does it feel like (if you can remember). 

I have 2 samples in my shop that I'm thinking about right now.  The first is 1/4" sew foam.  I tried it under canvas with high iron heat and heavy steam repeatedly today and it's shown no sign of degradation; drawback is that it really is quite soft/spongey. 

The other is a rather dense batting that is 1/4" thick and it, too has held up very well under some pretty rugged "testing".  Trouble is, I can't remember where it came from and neither can anyone else. 

I've nearly finished one of the removable covers.  All that remains is reinforcing the facings that will support the snaps, putting the snaps in and then the studs on the underside of the table.  I like the Homasote, I can pin into it securely, it's light, and will stand up to steam very well. 

gene

bobbin,

It's more of a very dense batting type material. Not poly batting but more like a thick felt type material. Definitely not foam.

gene