Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 10:44:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Foam saw (shameless "plug")

Started by bobbin, October 18, 2010, 04:42:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I just wanted to tell you that I ordered an Acu-Cutter 500 foam saw through this site last Thursday.  It arrived on Saturday (I was shocked), in perfect condition, and it cuts like a dream (both blades move on the 500).  I've needed one for a long time now and I felt the price was very fair; I couldn't handle the price of Bosch.  If you are considering buying one, know that I'm delighted with mine. 

SHHR

That's something I've been needing for a long time, With Thanksgiving around the corner, I need to clean up my wife's electric knife to carve the bird with. I just may order one like your's and let her keep her knife in the kitchen this year. ;D
Kyle

sofadoc

I've finally reached the point in my career where I now feel like I can afford tools that I used to consider a luxury item. I bought a EZ cushion stuffer, and a Jiffy steamer. Both are gathering dust in my shop. Bought a servo-motor, even though my clutch motor was working just fine.
I've been using the turkey knife from Wally World forever. So I guess the foam saw is next on deck for me. I'll take your recommendation under advisement.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I used a Bosch in the the first marine canvas shop I worked for.  It was a fabulous foam saw and if funds were unlimited it's what I would buy. 

I use an Acu-Cutter 350 at my current job.  It's better than an electic carving knife, but since only one of the saw blades moves it doesn't deliver the clean, crisp cut of a Bosch.  And it can get sort of bogged down when cutting closed cell foam.  I have been forbidden to use silicone spray on it (don't know why) and I suspect that that would make the cutting easier.  It's been a solid performer in the shop for the better part of 7 yrs. now, so I think the Acu-Cutters are solidly reliable. 

Mojo

Quote from: SHHR on October 18, 2010, 12:43:48 pm
That's something I've been needing for a long time, With Thanksgiving around the corner, I need to clean up my wife's electric knife to carve the bird with. I just may order one like your's and let her keep her knife in the kitchen this year. ;D
Kyle

Kyle, your a hoot..................LOL...........

My wife made me go buy my own turkey carving knife for the shop. :)

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Good info.  We stock the 350, but I've never even seen the 500.  I'll keep this in mind that it works well/better.

sofadoc

When nearby upholstery shops close, I swoop in like a vulture, and offer pennies on the dollar for their stuff. Such was the case today. I picked up a Bosch foam cutter (in near mint condition) for $50.
One of my supply catalogs lists the same one for $569.
I got it back to the shop and tried it out.
My verdict:
For $50, I LOVE IT!!
But, if I'd had to pay over $500 for it, I'd be boxing that sucker up and sending it back right now. It just isn't $500 better than an electric turkey knife from Wally World. :(

Mike8560

October 28, 2010, 03:55:45 pm #7 Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:00:49 pm by Mike8560
Can the.  Foam  saw be used flat on a tablr
Ut

I've cutby so far with a turkey knife and a. band saw I'd like use a foam saw if I could run it under the foam and cut it.

scottymc

Can't beat a band saw for cutting foam clean and square. I can't see a turkey knife cutting better than a purpose built foam cutter, carving knives are for turkeys.

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on October 28, 2010, 05:23:08 pm
Can't beat a band saw for cutting foam clean and square. I can't see a turkey knife cutting better than a purpose built foam cutter, carving knives are for turkeys.

I didn't say the turkey knife was better. I said the Bosch cutter wasn't $500 better.

MinUph

I've tried a new Acu-Cutter. Model # unknown two blades one moves, and was very disappointed in its capabilities. Had to push hard on it to get through 5" standard foam. The Bosch is a much better cutter. I found one on ebay as I had sold my original and this one is as good as my original. You can save money buying the Acu-Cutter but it ain't a Bosch.
 Many years ago I used an electric knife but once I bought a Bosch the cuts were as they should be and faster. Still use the band saw for some cuts.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteWhen nearby upholstery shops close, I swoop in like a vulture, and offer pennies on the dollar for their stuff.

That's class. Hopefully that $50 was all they were short to cover his funeral costs.

Mike; yes . The Bosch, and I think all of them, have a foot plate available that squares it up to the table with little rollers under it and it works like a band saw saw working backwards. The foam sits and the saw moves.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on October 28, 2010, 06:05:20 pm
QuoteWhen nearby upholstery shops close, I swoop in like a vulture, and offer pennies on the dollar for their stuff.

That's class. Hopefully that $50 was all they were short to cover his funeral costs. 

Ha-ha! Actually, $50 was the price he asked for. The young man had been estranged from his father for many years. He had no appreciation for his father's business, or his possessions. I told him that the stuff was worth more than I was willing to pay. He was only interested in fast cash.

scottymc

Quote from: Darren Henry on October 28, 2010, 06:05:20 pm

The Bosch, and I think all of them, have a foot plate available that squares it up to the table with little rollers under it and it works like a band saw saw working backwards. The foam sits and the saw moves.

I find the plate under the bosch actually throws the foam out of square, just a touch, so I prefer to use a band saw when it really matters.

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on October 28, 2010, 07:46:23 pm
I find the plate under the bosch actually throws the foam out of square, just a touch

That was my observation when I tried it out today.