Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 01:56:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Let's talk Servo motors

Started by bobbin, July 22, 2011, 01:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

OK, figure the machine gurus will weigh in, at least I hope so. 

I'm interested in converting two machines to servo motors.  One is a blindstitch, the other is my overlock, both are presently powered by conventional 1/2HP motors.  I have two full function Jukis with servo motors and have come to love them because:
1.)  they're so QUIET
2.)  they allow precise, "one stitch at time" control

I checked out a SewQuiet servo while at a local shop and was not happy with the amount of noise it made when called on to power the machine.  Is that level of noise commonplace in replacement servo motors, or are there models/makes that are quieter?

I understand that the motors on my Jukis are "top of the line" but is there a replacement motor in a more affordable price point  that rivals the quiet operation I've grown to love so in those machines?  Or am I just too horribly spoilt?

fragged8

a standard servo wont give you one stitch at a time, you need a needle positioner

bobbin

Thanks Rich, I didn't know that.  I'm so accustomed to that luxury with my Jukis that I assumed it was a function of the Servo motor. 

boyfalldown

July 22, 2011, 05:13:44 pm #3 Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:15:17 pm by boyfalldown
While my skill set isn't 1/100th what yours is I'll offer what I can. I put a sew green servo motor with a 50mm pulley(from Gregg at keystone) on my Juki 1541 (upgraded from the stock Juki clutch). It freaked me out a bit ay first as its so quiet I heard my machine make sounds I'd never heard over the buzz of the clutch motor... With the speed set as fast as it will go I still have enough control to make one stitch at a time and 99% of the time can stop the needle where I want it with little to no effort. I never had a problem with the clutch motor, but the sew green is so quiet, powerful, and easy to control, I'll never buy another machine without it.

Mojo

Bobbin:

My servo is the original that came with my Chandler. I have no idea what brand the motor is but I have never heard my motor run ever. All I hear is the machine itself.

I can slowly do stitching with my servo. I am able ( most times ) to stop my needle at the top or bottom but I can stitch so slow the cows will make it back to the barn before I finish a 24 inch seam. :)

I will never own another machine without a servo. I am curious now as to what motor I do have.

Chris

sofadoc

I really the latest one that I got from Gregg. I'm not sure what the brand is, but it has 10 different speed settings ranging from 350rpm to 3400 rpm.
Quote from: fragged8 on July 22, 2011, 03:09:27 pm
a standard servo wont give you one stitch at a time,

It sure SEEMS like one stitch at a time.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Hey thanks everyone!  I figured there were probably differences in quality and there are probably different price points but wasn't sure.  I think I'll "pass" on the SewQuiet and maybe give Gregg a shot at this question... hope he weighs in with his expertise. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

July 23, 2011, 04:35:00 am #7 Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:41:39 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Bobbin,

I've read this thread before the first post, but wanted to stay back and see what others had to say first.  I feel more than capable to assist, as I seem to tackle this question at least one time a day at work.  I'm always trying to stay ahead of the curve, trying to find the next best thing in servo motors.

If you have two full function Juki machines, then you already have two machines with great high quality servo motors.  You used to have to pay about $850 or greater for the same motor.  There are other options that will provide you with the same quality motor, control, and needle positioner providing needle up/needle down positioning, like your Juki, one an almost a 1/4 of the $850 price, but the motor may or may not be correct for you.  I also have a motor of very high quality, like the Juki with needle postioner function also for under a lot less then the $850 mark as well.

The easiest way for me to pass along the information about the servo motors I sell, along with the all important question of prices, is to link to my servo motors page, but that makes me feel cheesy when I pimp my products on a message board. 

I'll shoot you an email bobbin

bobbin

Thanks Gregg, I'm sold on the quiet factor of Servos and I was not pleased with the noise level of the SewQuiet.  The two machines I have in mind to convert are older models (mid-60s and mid-70s) so I'm not married to the idea of needle positioning, though it certainly is nice!  I guess there is a point of diminishing return, too.  Maybe the age of the machines in question should be factored into the purchase a new motor when the clutch motors on them already are fully functional.  Dunno.  Thoughts?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: bobbin on July 23, 2011, 05:16:56 am
Thanks Gregg, I'm sold on the quiet factor of Servos and I was not pleased with the noise level of the SewQuiet.  The two machines I have in mind to convert are older models (mid-60s and mid-70s) so I'm not married to the idea of needle positioning, though it certainly is nice!  I guess there is a point of diminishing return, too.  Maybe the age of the machines in question should be factored into the purchase a new motor when the clutch motors on them already are fully functional.  Dunno.  Thoughts?

Bobbin,

Here is what I think; A motor is a motor, and a sewnig machine is a sewing machine.  It all starts at the handweel on the machine; you can turn it by hand, or you can have it hooked up to a speed reducer, $1,000 servo motor, clutch motor, sub $200 servo motor, whatever.  As long as you have the correct motor by spec., and it's not underpowered, there is not right or wrong. 

It's all about what you want, and how much you are willing to spend. 

The machine it's operating, IMO, is secondary.  It would not be the first time installing a $900 motor onto a $700 machine; we do it all the time with pullers/cloth rollers where the puller installed is more money than the cost of the machine.

bobbin

I hadn't thought of it in those terms, Gregg.  The machines in question, while old, are in perfect working order and function lawlessly with their (noisy) clutch motors.  So I suppose giving them an organ transplant is not such a poor idea when the long view is taken into consideration. 

Is it the needle positioner that adds cost to the purchase of a servo motor? I'm not really sure I understand how these two items are bundled.  As I said, I'm interested in a quiet , energy efficient motor more than the needle positioning capability. 

fragged8

on my Juki Bobbin you can consider needle positioner as an add on to the
servo motor, although they are built as one unit.

Gregg would be able to tell us if you can buy a positioner separately
without the motor ?

you can run the servo motor without the aid on the positioner but the
positioner is useless without the motor.

the servo motor is fairly controllable mainly because you can dial the speed down
to a crawl. Add a positioner and the computer can perform actions like leaving the needle
down every time you stop, or leaving it up or automatic backtacking etc.

mine also has an air lift foot which I find really handy but then you would need to fit
a pneumatic cylinder to the machine and have an air supply, with the positioner
i have programmed the machine to always stop with the needle down and the foot up.

I wouldn't be without it.

Rich

bobbin

I have both the servo motor and needle positioner on my Juki 9010SS and my Juki 1541N-7, the latter requires pneumatic support to operate the solenoid, but the 9010SS does not prolly because it's not nearly as heavy duty as the 1541.  I have come to love the convenience of presser foot lift, needle positioning, and programmable backtack, but they aren't "must haves" for me, unless we're talking about a single needle machine. 

The machines I'm considering converting to servo motors are not machines I associate with needle positioning the same way I would a single needle machine, where the position of the needle at the beginning or end of a run is important.  Overlocks are fast and they trim and overlock the raw edge, backtacking is not part of the equation.  You blast off the run and that's it... the real plus is pneumatic thread trimming, not backtack capability.  I'm not sure about how to most effectively set up my blindstitch, it's been a lot of years since I used one regularly and I'm still feeling my way along with it. 

My objective is to minimize motor noise (this is why I so love my Jukis!) and increase the overall energy efficiency of my shop.  Energy consumption is a "controllable" expense and if I can buy servo motors that will perform reliably and quietly I'll be all over retrofitting those machines.  Quiet is the operative word. 

Mike8560

I've got a question on theese motors. I think I read that they do t ru. Draw power when nirmt sewing so they start up when you
pres  the pedel? My machine now normal motors run all the to
e adnhave a heavier draw at start up  my power is a bkt low and with the lights on and airci dotioner. If draw  can blow the breaker if  the ac s on when starting the machine motor have the ac off turn the motor on ok then once it's on it's ok to tiurn on the ac. So I finite that with a servo would it be the same  and have a big draw o. The circut and blow it the ac is on?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Mike8560 on July 23, 2011, 01:08:47 pm
I've got a question on theese motors. I think I read that they do t ru. Draw power when nirmt sewing so they start up when you
pres  the pedel? My machine now normal motors run all the to
e adnhave a heavier draw at start up  my power is a bkt low and with the lights on and airci dotioner. If draw  can blow the breaker if  the ac s on when starting the machine motor have the ac off turn the motor on ok then once it's on it's ok to tiurn on the ac. So I finite that with a servo would it be the same  and have a big draw o. The circut and blow it the ac is on?

Como?