Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 01:24:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Asian Hardwoods

Started by baileyuph, March 09, 2013, 06:40:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Yes, I've seen some plastic components.   Most often in heavily "carved" pieces that are simply molded.   Mirror frames, decorative moldings on casegoods, trim on barstools that shattered when hit, etc.

Most of this I've seen has been on bottom quality tier furniture.   Why pay a guy or gal $30 a week to carve a scroll if you can cast resin out all day long?

The worst I ever saw was a job where the cabriole leg broke off a marble top cocktail table when the owner moved it to clean underneath.   It was hollow fiberglass with a 1x1x4 strip of wood along the top just to tie in the threaded fasteners.  I wondered how on earth I'd ever be able to repair this.   I called the manufacturer and they would send me a new leg, postpaid, for $10.   I'd have more than $10 worth of materials in it, along with hours of time.

In my opinion, cast resin is not very repairable.   Sure you can fill here and there but if it cracks, splits, etc.  good luck trying to find a glue to hold it, nails or screws to hold it, etc.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison