Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 04:32:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Textile Trade and Manufactures

Started by brmax, September 22, 2016, 08:52:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Do many of you look for these big gatherings like international fabric trade shows.
I have seen some of the listings in the past and wished I made some better time to check them out.
Seems it would be an investment in the long run no doubt, the trades that are gathered there would be very interesting.

someday
Floyd

RiCat

September 22, 2016, 10:18:12 am #1 Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:21:27 am by RiCat
Hello Floyd. As for myself, I do not participate with the trade shows. Marine Fabricator's held a convention earlier this year near me in Clearwater, Fl. The first day was an open house - free admission - so I went. I had never been to one before so I decided to ck it out. I met people that had come in from Washington and Oregon. They told me they go to everyone of them for the workshops. And then I heard of some of the projects they took on. One shared about a huge governmental project with some kind of huge hanging curtain thing. What I found interesting is they had never done one before and took it on. They had a huge learning curve to get certain hardware fabricated and so forth and so on. My point to this is, for me, as I get older I am staying in a comfort zone with certain aspects of upholstery that I am used to. Just not quite as froggy as I used to be. If I do decide to go forward with some new ideas in the future, it will be very relative to what I already know. I would say the trade shows bring new ideas and technology. New ideas and technology is not hard to get information on if one just looks in the right direction and talks to the right people. That is how the internet is so powerful with this. Take MoJo (Chris) for an example. When he started his canopy business, he got in the weeds on finding out information on acrylic. He shares information with me on the different mills that is amazing. He did his research and I don't think he went to a trade show (I might be wrong on that). It is good to find out about new products. Example, at the trade show I went to, I found some interesting and updated hardware from the people that makes the pole supported boat vents for covers. Then what I did was get with my salesman from my main jobber and fussed at him on not keeping me up to date on the new products. I just keep rooting around and getting information. I do subscribe to Marine Fabricators magazine and that is a good resource. It points me in the right direction on new products and technologies. Another factor for the trade shows is the cost and time. Is it really an advantage to invest the time and money for one? Maybe for some, yes. The thing I did enjoy was talking to the craftsman there and gleaning from them. That is where I see a value. Like here on the forum, every now and then picking up a gold nugget of information from a peer because of their experience in a aspect of a  phase of upholstery I do.

Regards

Rick

Mojo

Ironic that you mention this. I am trying to blow a hole in my schedule to attend the big fabric show in Charlotte, NC in October - http://ifaiexpo.com/. This show will have all the mills and fabric manufacturers from around the world in attendance. I have been invited to attend by Sattler and Miami Corp as their guests. I doubt I am going to be able to attend as I just have too much on my plate.

For me I can find out anything I need from my contacts in the industry. The head of Sattler North America is a close friend and lives by me and we meet up once a month for lunch. I get all the latest in the fabric business and new trends and catch up on the gossip. The CEO of Miami is also a personal friend and recently spent the morning in our shop with Ingrid and I helping us hammer out marketing strategies as well as discuss the industry trends and various fabrics. He took a few items back with him to see if he can find a source for us on certain materials we use a lot of.

These two guys keep me abreast of the latest trends in Europe. If you ask any fabric expert they will tell you that Europe is years ahead of the USA in many different areas of our industry and their fabrics happen to be the very best in the world. This is why we import all of our canvas from Germany and Italy. Both of these guys are in Europe at the mill's and they later catch me up on the latest.

If I attended I am sure it will be for the networking and dinners out with the guys. All the other info comes to me throughout the year through various contacts in the fabric industry. If I hear of a new fabric or have a question I call and they ship me cut samples or fill me in on the info. If there is another Marine show or IFEA event in Florida I will make it a point to attend. I know Mike attended one and like Rick said, he attended one.

I think Floyd that attending one of these shows is great for building your network and gathering information and intelligence. But I am going to be honest a lot of what is going on behind the scenes only comes from close contacts and people who are high on the food chain. I know what fabrics to steer clear of because of mill or quality issues and I know who is running high quality fabric. I am blessed I have these people in my corner and I do share as much information as I can with others unless they ask me to keep it confidential.

If you want to attend the IFEA show let me know Floyd and I will see what I can do.

Chris

brmax

Thank you Chris, the offer with free plan tickets is sure encouraging ; )  but I must stick with the startup plans here on the home front, again thanks.
I totally agree the relationships made with industrial contacts at the big textile shows would be a blessing to have. I'm fortunate and have made some with others in the professional training I invested in, heck even as one of the seniors it's good to be acquainted with some of the young professionals going places these days.
I see some shop tours and pro type mini classes held at some of these events, and in a lead are some really cool people in Australia with the marine trades doing excellent work with these type events, I commend them.
Its a lot smaller world now with the media and communications we have available, and it is even better that the manufactures are investing in this.
On the home front Its pretty nice to see my home state manufactures as Marlen textiles leading the market in this Country, and to commonly hear other pros around the world using the Top Gun and Top Notch canvas for the marine environment, this is pretty cool for a canvas fabricator as myself. I don't have to beat the drum the proof is in the product and way before me as a quick look see- The page on Miami Corp site for Marine canvas
https://www.miamicorp.com/products/MARINE%20@@2f%20OUTDOOR%20FABRICS/MARINE%20TOP%20FABRICS.aspx

We in this country are dam lucky to have the ability to design products with a complete knowledge all through the process. We will see more of it, I just hope it is more as it was when I was a youngster with McDonald Douglas Aircraft, Boeing and companies of that caliber in my State.

good day
Floyd

Mojo

There are so many different fabrics out there. I cannot even imagine what it is like if your doing furniture. All my knowledge is wrapped up in vinyls and canvas. I haven't a clue as to the name of one upholstery fabric manufacturer. I never buy it.

I found it interesting to know that Europe is years ahead of us on fabric technology as well as techniques and designs. I would love to back to Europe and tour Germany, Holland and Italy and see some of the fabrication and upholstery shops. Now that would be awesome.

The next time I am in Australia visiting the in-laws I want to pop into a few shops there. I heard they have some amazing stitchers in Oz.

Chris